1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICEing on my T-Jet

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by adutt, Jan 17, 2011.

1. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Team,

Finally I have it as well....The BLAUPUNKT THA 555 PnP + Linea Adaptor + 5.5 m Wiring harness.

And that is all the upgrade I have done for now in my PHASE 1 of iceing..

The Setup:
    AMP in the boot fixed on the rear of back seat with 5.5 m extension cable. Looks really neat.
    I went ahead with the boot idea as its a class D amp and as we would be using its 5 channels with no bridging and stuff involved, the heating problem should not arise.
    Its PHASE 1 (budget constrainst :A ) ...so hooked up to stock speakers as of now with appropriate tuning so as not to fry the speakers.
    The amp is being powered by the HU with the yellow cable which is the best option till you add a sub to the scene. Amp powers on and off with the HU. No manipulations required inside the Fuse box whatsoever. Red cable is for continuous supply (maybe required if you want to use the direct input feature).
    I hope that wire (some 12 gauge i think) works fine when the sub is added later. This can be bought only because its a class D and known to utilize less power.

I sound is neat and crisp than before and the volume can be upped to 25 without distortion.

Had to go for Phase wise iceing as i was out of buck for a full upgrade and dint want the dealer to sell off the rarely available amps to anyone else. I enquired casually and he arranged it for me within a week so had to go for it, even though no improvement in qulaity was expected as yet.

PHASE 2....I am on the lookout for some more information on how to provide ideal power to the amp so it performs to the brim without malfunctions.
    Also checking for amp speaker wattage combination (read somewhere that amp should have more wattage than speakers for better output without distortion, hard to believe though).
    Another query that i need sorted is whether 2 ohm speaker is a more viable option as there would not be any channel bridging involved...(less impedence means more output from lesser power) and 2ohm output is higher per channel.
  2. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Lemme be the first to congratulate you :). Happy listening matey. Best of luck for the search for the Next Phase and Welcome to the ICE'd family :)
  3. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Thanks Ansal...and you know you have been of great help.
  4. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Sir Ji, i think uve got that the other way round !!!
  5. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Its not me Ansal...its the crutchfield website i am on since morining. Worth a visit. Changed a few of my fundas as well.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    2 ohm speakers would be better than 4 ohm speakers.
    Speakers should have equal or more RMS wattage than Amp. If speakers are rated at less wattage than they can get fried due to extra power.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Why :confused
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Because 555 Pnp amp @ 4 ohms provide 55 W RMS while @ 2 Ohms it provides 65 W RMS.
    In sound quality there won;t be any diff. if both are rated at same RMS wattage.
  9. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    regarding using 2ohm speakers, yes thats not a problem at all. But you have to match all ur devices with that. Generally, higher the impedance, the more efficient the speaker will be also, meaning it requires less power to achieve the same amount of perceived volume and hence 4 ohm would be better advised (but u can achieve similar output through 2 ohm speakers, only thing being obviously it would require more power to get the same output and hence the efficiency would be low)

the amp gives you more RMS Power at 2 Ohm coz u need more power to get a better efficiencey with 2 ohm speakers. So even though RMS power @ 4 ohm is less, it will give better efficiency as the 4 Ohm speakers would need lesser Power to give you a better Efficiency and Output
  10. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi
    Would like to offer some correction after having spent another few hours on this topic.....2 ohm gives more output than 4 ohm speakers (less resistant speakers play louder, input being the same) so 65 rms is the effective output from the amp if you use 2ohm speakers and not that amp is having to push in extra power to power a 2 ohm speaker.

Sp 2 ohm speaker with high sensitivity would be louder and distort as compared to 4 ohm with higher sensitivity. SO theoritically 4 ohm speaker would give a better sound quality whereas a 2 ohm speaker would give out more sound.