1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Upgrades and the options used

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by livelyyoungman, May 12, 2011.

1. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a decent amp under the price 10k - 12k? I visited around 3 to 4 shops and each of them gave me a different funda and showed me different company amp's like ground zero, cerwin vega, digital design, Rockford Fosgate(prime) etc. When I visit the shop each of them will tell this is the best amp etc..etc.. I am looking for a decent amp which can give decent clarity, which can drive the components and also I will be upgrading Subwoofer next month. My current setup is Auditor Components(front door) and Auditor Coaxial(rear door). I visited Torque, Evo and Top gear.. Though I have not met the owners of these shops, I am little skeptical about which one I should go for.
    Also each of them quotes different price for amp power kit and the RCA cable. The installation charges is from 2.8k to 4.5k. That is why I am looking for TFI expert advise.

A decent amp(price) and which place is best to install the amp.

-Nanda
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Would be helpful if you can share the specifications of your speakers. Based on your budget and current discount given by BBW till 31st Dec, would recommend DD A4 @ 10400.

Check specifications here - http://motorheader.com/car-audio/amplifiers/digital-designs-a4/692/buy

Top Gear should have this unit at thr discounted price of 10400-10500. Due its compact size, it can be installed under the seat, however the most popular location is thr boot

When you add a subwoofer to your setup you can run it via bridged mode on this amp, but then would have to let the rear coaxial be powered by the HU only or get a seperate mono amp for Subwoofer. Does your HU have 3rca preout or just two.
  3. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Go for any Class AB or D amp depending on budget. Don't go on brand names alone. For cabling, just make sure they are OFC type. Is normally mentioned on packaging. Heavier cable for powering amps like 0 or 4AWG. Your components already must have old cables, make sure they are proper guage, again don't overspend on brands. We end-up paying too much premium for names without too much to gain.

Headunit is what matters the most. A HU with proper 4 or 5V RCA and a quality DAC implemtation, with features like TA are good to get some cool sound out of most setups. Search for these features in JVC, Kenwood and/or Pioneer models like 80prs and higher. Best if you can get it from aboard, turns out to be lot cheaper, the pioneer hu.

Go for Rockford Prime or Sony entry level amp for these speakers you mentioned. These speakers you mentioned are rated for 4 ohms 60w for components and 40W for Co-ax. No point spending on powerful amps. You can FYI have sound large enough at this RMS to have listening fatigue or ear damage; meaning it's loud enough.

Also with the money you save on these amps you could install any nice capacitor entry level one with a digital readout, will help in supporting the amp performance.

For RCA ask for this brand or order online from Amazon. Great value and works pretty well.
    http://www.bandridge.com/en-us/audio/55901876

To test and tweak the system use a good quality Audio CD.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    kunwar.g likes this.
  5. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

I had upgraded my HU already.. it is Pioneer 4590BT.. I do not want powerful amp's for sure.. Just looking for some decent stuff which can improve clarity..
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Agree with asimpleson. No point spending on expensive amps for these speakers. Rather save money and upgrade speaker cables , RCA cable along with just a decent amp
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Here is a fantastic amp for you requirement.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/bla...10_311&utm_medium=101764356&vendorCode=58943c

This amp is 2ohm stable (more than sufficient power and even more than your smaller requirement of 4ohm speakers), just install a capacitor and it should run optimally for that extra power when needed.

Price approx 5.8K

Technical Specifications of Blaupunkt - GTA 470 SF - 4 Channel Amplifier (840 W)

Technical Specifications
    MAX. TOTAL POWER 840 (2 channel mode)
    RMS POWER 4 OHMS 4 x 70 watts / 2 x 200 watts
    RMS POWER 2 OHMS 4 x 100 watts
    MAX. POWER 4 OHMS 4 x 140 watts / 2 x 420 watts
    NUMBER OF CHANNELS 4x/3x/2/x
    SPEAKER OUTPUTS 4x
    INPUTS Cinch
    FREQUENCY RANGE 10 – 30,000 Hz
    STABILITY 2 ohms
    SIGNAL/NOISE RATIO > 92 dB/A
    GAIN ADJUST 0.1 - 8 volts
    LOW PASS 50 – 250 Hz
    HIGH PASS 80 Hz
    DIMENSIONS W X H X D (MM) 197 x 52 x 426
    nand_nand likes this.
  8. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you for sharing. I was looking for the same. Let me try with some shops.
    Once again thanks for your information. :)
  9. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

Happy new year to everyone.. :)

Finally I added Amp (Cerwin vega HED) to the italian beauty yesterday.. I could see much increase in the sound clarity... Also did very basic level damping for now.. Will be doing better damping once I add Sub woofer..
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3

Which model or share specifications plz? How much was the damage? Along with amp what wiring & RCA did you use?