1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE suggestions for my TJet

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by speedJet, Aug 17, 2012.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The TJet is the true representation of the beauty (looks) and the beast (power). However, when this beauty sings the sound is pretty average and does not match its gorgeous looks. So I want this gorgeous beauty to sound gorgeous as well

A bit about how I like my music to sound:
    - Treble has to be crisp
    - Vocals have to be clear
    - Bass has to be deep
    - I like my music to sound clear and need all of the above at flat settings (0 treble and 0 bass setting) i.e. no excessive bass, treble or vocals (something that Yamaha amplifiers provide in home entertainment systems)

What I want from my ICE setup
    - Music that matches to my likings (above)
    - I do not want loud music but at the same time sound should not be less than what the stock speakers provide
    - I do not want to change the default factory fitted Linea HU as it would spoil the looks
    - Amplifier should switch on/off along with the HU and ignition
    - I am not a big fan of sub-woofer and do not require one

I can upgrade in stages:
    - Speaker upgrade first with damping
    - Amplifier can follow later on in a year or so
    - Speakers should be such that they can be used with the current HU without amp and then later on with amp added

My current budget: Rs 15000 max (assuming that I only upgrade speakers and damping)

I did go through various threads and Blaupunkt THA555 seemed to be the obvious choice for PnP. However, it appears that this amplifier is out of stock or available at around Rs23000 on vicky.in which seems to be on the costlier side

Need help from ICE gurus for selection of good speakers, damping, amplifier upgrade and dealers in NCR region who do the work without screwing up things. Also, if there is something good that can be bought from US please suggest the same
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First of all, the 555 PnP hasn't been very reliable. I guess 4-5 members bought it together back in early 2011 or late 2010. TFI member Vijay Khasa was one of them and his amp did not last more than 1 year. Same was true for at least one more guy.

nkapoor777 has recently got his TJET ICEd from Driven in Delhi. I saw the pics shared by Driven at Facebook.

Stock HU has a 30x4 Watts amplifier. So try to limit yourself to normal speakers only (e.g. Rockford Fosgate Prime, Hertz DSK165 etc, rather than going after Infinity kappa that are more power hungry and deserve an amplifier.

Personally, I have experience of only JBL GTO 608c components in my Punto so can not comment on other brands. My speakers give ok sound upto a volume of 12-13 and beyond which there is a bit too much of rattles from the door metal sheet that interferes with the sound quality. I haven't gone for door damping yet as the installers in Chandigarh do a below average job.
    1 person likes this.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks Yashik, appreciate your inputs

nkapoor777, please share details on your ICE setup - it would be helpful for me
  4. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The pcitures look good. I will confirm with nkapoor777 on the damage done (cost!!)
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Also when you're going in for components keep in mind to not place the tweeters somewhere on the A pillar or by the roof.. This will spoil the quality.
    In order to get all notes (high/low freqs) you need to keep the tweeters close.. There are hubs where the tweeters are mounted directly over the speakers, try to see if you can find them .. They will give you best quality.

I recently did some homework on this and even visited a guy .Looked at a few hertz components with the above description (Dont remember the models). Its really amazing better than tweeters placed elsewhere...
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Time to clear some mis-conceptions before we start off...
    I guess you need to check out my ICE thread and see for yourself. I have installed an after market HU with OEM fascia panel and I feel it looks better, if not the same, as stock look.

To achieve all this, you have to either:
    a. Change to an after market HU, or
    b. Get a good DSP if you want to retain the stock HU
    Option A would cost less depending on which HU you go for. But a good DSP would not cost less than 20k, last I checked. So you'll have to scale down expectations or increase budget.

While it is good that you have planned upgrading in stages, but any reason why they are spaced apart so far? IMO

1. Stage 1 should look like this:
    - Component speakers (front)+damping
    - 2-channel amp for the front speakers

2. Stage 2 should have HU upgrade+rear coaxials driven off the HU. Believe me, you NEED an after-market HU. The experience is grossly incomplete with the OEM HU.

3. Stage 3 should have subwoofer. While you may be averse to it because of some reason but believe me, music ain't complete without proper bass - which only a sub can provide. No coaxials or component speakers can go so low as a sub can. But to have a sub, you need to drive it off a 2-channel or a mono amp.

In that budget, I would suggest a 4 channel amp+component speakers for the front. The price difference between 2 and 4 channel amps isn't too much to lean you in favor of the former. Also, having a 4 channel makes you future proof from the POV of a sub install.

Driven is the best installer that I have heard till now. Regarding purchase, US is a better option anyday - newer products, more selection/variety and better pricing (if you have someone bring it down for you).
    1 person likes this.
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can look at anything between hertz ESK series/Digital designs/Rainbow Dream line ranging from 9k-14k (without disc.), I'm suggesting these as possibility of upgrading is always there hence investing in better comps in the initial stage is better. These would serve well without an amp and at the later stage get better with amplification. Remaining can be invested in damping for the front doors
    1 person likes this.
  9. captainsubtext

captainsubtext Timido

Sorry to hijack the thread!
    I'm also looking to ICE up my TJET and my requirements are very similar. My budget's around 30k. any good recommendations? I plan to get it done @ driven as well.
  10. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Then perhaps both of you can get it done together and hope to get better discounts. I am also, in the meanwhile planning on getting the door damping and speaker refitting by some competent guy.