1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE setup for my PUNTO :) [a dream materialised.. atleast for the moment ;) ]

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Herbie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    After a lot of research on the internet i finally got my punto ICEed on 17th dec. ( a day prior to my accident)
    accident episode posted here ---- [http://www.teamfiat.co.in/insurance-loan-reviews/4220-my-punto-met-accident.html]

My criteria for the setup

1)Didnt want to change the beautiful stock headunit looks.
    2)Sound clarity but not neccessarily a high volume output...
    but always a welcome as a consequence of byproduct for that occassional high volume thingy;)
    Initially was very keen on a touchscreen headunit but to my dismay soon realised after a lot of research that there is none which snugly fits in the Punto dash.(since its not a 2 DIN slot:( ). Now the primary reason for a touchscreen wasnt the SHOW -OFF factor;) but for convinience in terms of browsing on screen a huge list of assorted songs and create a playlist if required based on the mood especially during long drives.

Researched flip up, flip down Single DIN units etc etc..Eventually settled to retain the stock.
    got to learn a lot bout never before heard brand names in car audio ( my knowledge to be honest was restricted to apna pioneer,sony etc,etc.)
    Researched other car audio forums, local shops and eventually called up on Ajay (four seasons audio mumbai) for suggestions..
    i needed an amp + sub combo aswell ;) , my budget was around 20k max (which i thought is a decent amt without the headunit) until he shot back an email with the basic setup which amounted to 30k along with damping, wiring etc. it had the following.. (this email exchange happened almost 6months back around May 2011)

Morel maximo 6 component for the front
    rear soundstage was with my existing blaupun kt coaxial s ( some GT mystic... i had the stock replaced within a week of my car purchase from my car dealer itself with the available stuff with him to void any sort of warranty etc. ....i was naive then....i still am but not that much ;) )
    Soundstream 4 channel amplifier
    JL Audio 12W1 subwoofer
    Scosche 5m RCA cables
    Ground Zero GZPK10 amp wiring kit
    16ga speaker cable
    Noise Kill damping

Later again in October 2011 i called him up and he sent me a revised list as follows

Focal Access 165A1 6.5" components
    Soundstream 4 channel amplifier
    MTX RT12 12" subwoofer
    Scosche 5m RCA cables
    Scosche 8ga amp wiring kit
    16ga speaker cable
    Noise Kill damping

Discussed with him as to why the changes etc.. he said partly some specs like wires etc change over period of time depending on the stocks with him and nothing to worry (he is supposed to have reputation for quality suggestions)....JL audio is a very good brand but the prices had risen by the :( he told that he still can give me morels but since he had new stock of focals lying around he can give me which according to him are superior to the morels suggested earlier etc.
    Then days before my ICE setup.. i took my first "famed ICE poison" of increasing the budget by 10k ;) ...now it stood at 40k as opposed to earlier 30k hmmm now i was looking at ajay to suugest me the deadliest combo ...kiddin...a better combination of setup...he looked up my list and suggested tat he can give Focal polyglass components and change the weaklink i.e the Soundstream 4 channel amplifier ..rest all seems gud :) He suggested Pioneer GM-D9500
    i agreed and rushed to him post my 2nd free service done @ 13500 kms. and parked the car at his garage late in the evening... his ppl were to start the damping process first thing the next day as soon as they wud arrive. I reached next day morning at his workplace as the damping was being started,it was a long process and i had to leave for office so grabbed couple of snaps before i could leave....sad i couldnt be there all the while :(

So here goes my Final List :) -----

Focal Polyglass 165 VB 6.5" components
    Pioneer GM-D9500 4 channel amplifier
    MTX RT12 12" subwoofer
    Scosche 5m RCA cables
    Scosche 8ga amp wiring kit
    16ga speaker cable
    Noise Kill damping

here are the pics for the same..

VeloCam43.jpg VeloCam44.jpg VeloCam45.jpg VeloCam46.jpg VeloCam46a.jpg VeloCam48.jpg VeloCam55.jpg VeloCam56.jpg VeloCam56a.jpg VeloCam56aa.jpg VeloCam58.jpg VeloCam59.jpg VeloCam60.jpg VeloCam61.jpg VeloCam64.jpg y.jpg y1.jpg y2.jpg y3.jpg zz.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    7 people like this.
  2. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    How you have Powered your SUB . Polyglass is the best when it comes to sound , Tweeters are very bright . I personally dont like to run components or full range on class D amplifier like Pioneer GM-D9500 . Class D is better for Low frequencies , and High's are distorted . Do tell me your experince with that . Must say you have a good choice , sound will soothe your mind.
    I am also planning in next few days and i am Opting for Polk MM series components all 4 and alpine PDX 4 channel amp .
  3. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    i dont know much about class A/B D amps impact on sound quality etc..
    the reason class (fd amp not exactly d -guess some sort of a marketing lingo ;)) was picked as i didnt want to splice the wiring to contect to the ignition as i had the fear tat keeping the amp connected in sleep mode might drain the battery. High end amps have a wake on demand i.e the automatically drive when they sense a sound signal but low end amps consume power when idle ( though marginally) hence ajay suggested this new pio amp around which according to him wont consume or say least consume power etc. as it being a class d amp etc etc. ....so i agreed. the amp chosen here isnt officilaly available in the market its the only grey market stuff in the entire setup.

coming back to the point-- the base sounds pretty tight ( havent heard car audio systems with sub nd amp combo hence i am a wrong person to give the comparison)..but it synchs well doesnt isolate itself from the song. Above all i am using the stock headunit hence the true power of the setup might me subdued-----to what extent, hmmm i really dont know :( ...maybe some one can educate me on this. (in terms of real world difference)

I am not really happy with the overall sound though.... atleast not with proportion to the money spent...or maybe i am getting greedy :mrgreen: LOL
    enlighten/pacify with this regards aswell :)

tats the reason aswell i wanted to hear this setup to cliberate the difference ...
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/aftermarket-ice/4714-focal-integration-series-my-jet.html
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    AND NOW I NEED A H E A D U N I T :mrgreen:

please suggest me a one which meets the following criterias ;)

- should match with the interior fascia(grey) with automatic climate control nd stuff
    - should have interfacing with OEM steering controls
    - ofcourse orange/amber illumination
    - should do justice to my above list of installs i.e the headunit shouldnt be an overkill aswell ;)

i know point no. 1 i.e matching it to the decor is a lot difficult especially since it is all grey :( ...the black gloss of the aftermarket HU would just stand out like a blotch in otherwise beautifully crafted console.

you know what ??? this brings to my mind that apart from the plastic quality nd old...purely design wise the punto/linea dash is the most elegant looking one around :)

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I like this for the grey/silver colour thingy...matching with our fascias...wot say

but negatives are a lot on the list
    - no CD
    - BLUE/red colour
    -its supposed to be for marine application...but can be managed i guess inside a car aswell :)

iDA-X100M.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Two ways to do it :
    Easier way is to simply paint the centre console in the same shade as the HU your deciding ON, and therefore you get to choose from a multitude of headunits in the market. As for the illumination that is rather tough to match, its not all that easy to get a beautiful hot wife that cooks equally well, so you can look at hu's that have a function for a complete blackout like say the alpine 117 and perhaps the rest alpine's too, so it appears switched off after 10secs of being left idle.

Second option :
    Maintain the stock look and compromise on hu's. Go all over the market/net, keep searching but it won't be easy to find one so why waste time in the first place

So it burns down to you, what you prefer FORM or FUNCTION.

my recommendation would be a kenwood 7016/8016 if you can live with the black colour.

Waheguru Waheguru
  6. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

i researched a bit online after posting my earlier post....the kenwood 7016 tat u are reffering to has some kinda variable illumination ...hence its colour can be changed to match our FIAT interior colours!!!

...and one more querry do i need a better rear door set up to create a bit more magic....what would you suggest to better tat equation for me...
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At the moment just change the HU and hear the improvements out, let the speakers and woofer RUN-IN, hear your system for a month or so and if you still feel something lacking then upgrade the amp if possible to a better one like say DD/audio systems(12-15k), as adding anything in the rear doors won't fetch any significant improvements.

Waheguru Waheguru
  8. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    hypothetically what improvements would the amp do incase i decide to upgrade it to the ones suggested above.. i mean whether its just high volume clarity or sound quality in general....
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Considerable improvement in sound quality be it at either high or low volumes, the pioneer exactly isn't all that great considering the current comps and yes it is good for setups upto 20-25k but seriously speaking beyond that budget its simply overwhelmed by the others.
    Perhaps you can ask your installer to give you a demo of the above amps in your car by swapping the pio and then hear for yourself.
    A few noticeable changes would be
    1. Better and cleaner power to comps
    2. Better control on the comps with the increased and clean power
    3. Better control on the subwoofer
    4. Superior sq

Waheguru Waheguru
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    thanks a ton mate, will surely make use of the info as and when i decide to upgrade :)
    ..not sure though the installer will give a demo of the brands in which he doesnt deal :(.... but he does deal with focals,dls...hmmm tats what i knw for the moment..but surely will try.
    are u giving me any options for the focal portfolio(amps) aswell...for that just in case...or it a no from your end