1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Install and Car not starting

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by linuxmanju, Jun 9, 2013.

1. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Dear Elite members,

Just to give some background, I wanted to kiss goodbye to pathetic OEM HU and install a new HU bought from aftermarket. HU and other things were ready except for the CANBUS interface or connect2 interface, Which was not easy to source. As a stop gap solution till connects2 interface arrives, me and Installer both tried to switch on the aftermarket HU by pulling out the current OEM HU and using a small light and a wire from each of the holes from the OEM harness to identify which wire carries power on ignition on.

After few fights we could locate the wire which carries power on ignition on from original harness and We were able to power on the aftermarket HU successfully, But that is where the fun ends :( .

Now I am not able to start the car. No errors on the MID or no warning lights. But when I crank the car it feels that the car is trying to start, I can hear engine being spun by the starter motor but engine never fires up. Before anyone says, it is not a battery drain out issue as we already checked it. We put the original OEM HU back in place still it refuses to start. I know it is bad, but we did try to push start the car a couple of times and still no go.

As a final resort I called up FIAT toll free number and kudos to FIAT the tow vehicle arrived within 20 minutes and now the car is in Adya motors Bangalore. But have to wait impatiently till Monday to find out anything.

I would really appreciate if guru's here comment on what could have gone wrong before SAs take me for a ride.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Buddy u should have uninstall all ICE wiring before sending car to TASS.Any modification would void ur warranty.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Yes did you unistall all wiring? What is the update on the car bro.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Eager to know, what went wrong.
    1 person likes this.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Wow.. you guys just messed with the ignition power source at the same time damaged the censor that feeds the immobilizer... be ready for some heavy expenditure on this one.
  6. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    First of all please accept my apologies for posting it in the wrong section ( as it did not catch right eyes before ), and thanks mods for moving it here.

No mate I did not remove any wires and volunteerily informed the TASS that I was playing around with the HU wires and this happened. I wanted to inform that to them so that it would be easier for them to diagnose the problem, and yes I was fully aware that this would void the warranty.

The update now is that, the car is back with me. The issue was diagnosed as something to do with the BCM module and Fuel Pump not working ( I am assuming Fuse but not sure ) and the same has been rectified by FASS ( Not sure what it is as SA did not inform the full details). But anyway got the car back and kudos to Fiat as they did not even charge the towing charges ( which was around Rs. 3000 ).
    5 people like this.
  7. I hope you havent dropped the idea of changing the HU. Be careful next time and use the right components. BTW, why did there were no warning lights and MID messages for a big failure as a fuel pump failure? You should put this question to the ASS guys.
    1 person likes this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    just out of curiosity wont the wiring sockets be the same with aftermarket HU as well.
    I mean even the so called Stock HU at some point was an aftermarket one itself. I'm sure delphi would not make a HU just for FIAT.

(I've not changed my HU so spare me the bashings!!!)
  9. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    There is something called wiring harness and it needs to be added to the HU. I guess the harness for i20 and punto is same. Coz when i installed my HU for my Active i didnot get Punto's wiring harness so we checked it out and found that the hyundais have the same as fiat's. Luckly i got one which perfectly fits my Punto.
    1 person likes this.
  10. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    No mate, I did not drop the idea of changing the HU, infact I got it changed already to Kenwood BT8600 with a connects2 interface this time around. Fuel pump not showing warning lights on the MID is a valid point. Will check with them. Thanks mate.

No mate, It is a bit complex in FIATs. I am sure other Guru's should be able to comment better.

i20's Fit ??. This is interesting, Would you throw some light mate.