1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have a few doubts. I am not sure if auditioning the speakers inside the dealer shop is a good thing or not as the stock HU has just 30x4W built in amp in contrast to the 50x4W amp in most after market HUs from Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Clarion and so on.

I searched for a lot of components. JBL offers very good components (GT5-S265C) but they have a RMS wattage rating of around 45W with peak rating of 240W.

Hertz and MTX are not sold here in Chandigarh as they don't have a service center in this region but I have heard that they work good with the stock head unit.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I doubt a 45W could produce peak 240W, generally a 90w or 100w peakout at 200 -240w
    MTX are good for bass, Infinity are bright, have high tweets. Polk sound soft, velocity had good voice clarity. (referring to components)
    Polk MOMO and Infinity Kapa are better but very costly in India.
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is a shot from the official JBL India website. They have wrongly mentioned them to be co-axials here. The specs are of the GT5 series comps.

GT5-S265C.jpg
  4. SKSy_Biker

SKSy_Biker

Bangalore
    The setup details:

Front: Infinity Reference series 6030 6.5" Components
    Rear: Infinity Reference series 5032 Coaxials
    Sub: JBL 12" 1215 with non-ported box
    Amplifier: Blaupunkt Velocity 475

Total cost with wiring and labour: 23K
    Place : Sachin's Autoshop Koramangala

I have used the OEM HU for now, will be changing it to a HU with RCA out in a couple of months. Needless to sat it sounds way better than stock, but feels a bit bass heavy without some tweaking. Hopefully a better HU will give better controls :)
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Paddleshifter,

This is to respond to your query about auditioning speakers. The point that you have made is partially correct. If the HU used for the audition is different, then the sound output may be slightly different.

What you need to check out is the sound from the speakers at 'neutral' settings of the HU, ie. Bass-0, treble-0, loudness Off, etc. This will give you an indication of the way the speakers 'colour' the sound - almost all brands will modify the sound slightly. Audition the setup with your choice of music - different genres of music will sound slightly different on different brands of speakers. Now decide which brand of speakers sound most pleasing to your ears for your choice of music. The brand that you finally select, in this manner will sound pretty much the same with your HU in your car. In fact, you can improve the sound by using the tone controls/equaliser.

Like I have said many times; let your ears be the final judge. You will not go wrong.

Regards

Johnny
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Countrock,

A small clarification to your post.

Compos can be round or oval. Please see http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages ... px?SID=COS.

JBL GTO8608C speakers are oval 6" x 8"/5" x 7" 2-Way Compos.

Some other brands also make oval compos, though such speakers are not very common.

Regards

Johnny
    anirban130 likes this.
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the response Johnny. ::T
    Can you please make a recommendation for some speakers based on below mentioned facts?? (forget auditioning as ICE installation idiots wont give much of audition in Chandigarh).

1. In Chandigarh, there is no service center for Hertz, MTX etc. No point going for those brands.
    2. Common brands available in Chandigarh are JBL, Boston Acoustics, Sony Xplod, Infinity, and some other...
    3. The speakers would be powered only by the HU. No amp though it might be added later if a sub is needed someday.

6.5 Comps for the front out of: GT5-S265C or BA S60.
    5.25 co-axials for rear out of: GT5-S265 or BA S55.

Or any other set you know about.
  8. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Hey Yashik. You can have larger co-axials for the rear if you want and cant find a good enough 5.25. Ive got 6.5 on mine
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Paddleshifter,

I am not sure what type of music you listen to. However, of the two brands, I will recommend BA, especially since you are planning to stay with only HU for the time being. These speakers are fairly efficient, and will also sound good when you add an amp and a sub at a later date.

Go for BA S60s for the front, and BA S55 for the rear. Do not forget damping, especially for the front door - all four doors will be even better.

Will welcome a feedback. Happy listening.

Regards

Johnny
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is this also Plug-n-play, like 555? I understand this is 4 channel amp.