1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Class D or A/B or Class T is about the circuitry and efficiency of the amps. Normally Class D is above Class AB but does not always mean better sound than Class AB. Class T offers better compromise in between Class AB and Class D. But I am not much aware of Class T amps in cars.

As far as Battery drain is concerned there are ways to make sure that the amp is turned off with the car key. (eg..: Cigarette lighter wire). Do search on forum. However this is not good since the amp turns on with car ignition, when one may not want to use ICE at all for certain drives, which means power waste.

Your choice for Active Sub is great, but it is a popular belief that they lack the requisite punch (power) and people generally tend to go for custom box etc. As regards Active portable subs, the size of woofer is very important. The bigger the better, anyday. The surface area matters for lows therefore subs are made with larger wafers. There is a reason tweeters too can do their job in such a small package. There is nothing to debate here except price vs performance.

Agreed a 12" compact sub enclosure may not be as well designed as an 8" for example, but that is because of design and manufacturing limitations only.

I would recommend you to buy minimum 10" and above for active compact enclosure. Even if it means stretching your budget slightly.

The serious SQ bottleneck in our Puntos and Lineas is the limitation of amps that can be used for plug and play and the DAC and filters used for sound processing and output. Thereby making the factory based system a pain to upgrade. The best sound installer will be limited by these inherently limiting factory fitted players.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Thx rated speakers are about high efficiency, high power and ofcourse accuracy. I wonder how someone can power these speakers without actually, patching at the PCB built in the woofer boxes. A nice thought though. I would'nt kill a Klipsh Promedia, maybe a Logitech Z623.

I had similar idea for an Altec Lansing MX5021, but didn't have the heart to kill those (even by mistake). :)
  3. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    What I meant by Class D amplifier is the lower power consumption & not better sound

What Blaupunkt XLF 200 A says is that if there is not signal in High Level Line Input/ RCA, it would automically switch off in 60 secs. Which means if I have manually switched off the music system the sub would stay switched off. In this scenario where should one wire the sub to (Cigarette Lighter/ Battery/ etc)?

Thanks. I will take a demo of Active Sub. Do you know a good installer in mumbai
    Any recommendations?
    I have been able to get over it in large extent in Punto as it has a Blaupunkt system (2010 model) but not so much in linea (2012 model) which has a delphi unit. In Punto i have speakers in the rear parcel tray delivering good bass whereas in linea this is achieved by component speakers in the front. In terms of HU limitations, The key difference between the Blaupunkt & Delphi is in Blaupunkt, you can use the equalizer (custom) alongwith the bass & treble whereas in Delphi one has to use one ca either use the equalizer or the bass & treble settings. You cannot use both simultaneously. In Delphi, that is why I have to use the "Loud" function creating a vast difference in the sound in amplifying lower frequencies. The same "Loud" function creates no difference in Punto Blaupunkt but the sound quality is much better since both custome eualizer & bass & treble settings can be used simultaneously.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Computer and home speakers are mostly 8 ohms, car speakers are 4 ohms. So they dont work as good as car speakers inside the car.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I purchased a bulk pack of Dampmat at around Rs9000/- and damped all four doors in 3 layers. Even NVH seem to have reduced.

Each sheet of Dampmat costs approx. Rs1000/- and has an area of around 4 sq.feet each.
    Bulk pack has 9 sheets so a total of 36 sq. feet.

You can do a single layer damping of 1 door using 1 sheet of 4 sq. feet (2x2 feet) so doing this type of door damping shall cost you Rs1000/door. But your taste for music and customization is definitely way more than me so do not count much improvement by damping alone (Subwoofer is what you need).
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am sure you can find a workaround in the ICE section. I will suggest if I find one. An expert installer should get around this problem.

Details PMed.

I dont think 10" are less than 16-17k, as regards 12" you will can look at shallow mounts like JL audio TW5 etc. but again budget can be an issue, check it out.
    Alternatively you can wire 2 active subs of 8" or 10" if bass is insufficient. Also there is a chinese dual 8" active model. Link below. But again it is a pain procuring. :( No luck there, I suppose.
    NEW MBQ Audio Dual 8" Compact Active CAR Subwoofer Built IN Amplifier 200W RMS | eBay

I agree with you. Except there are much more settings that can be found in some Headunits, like Alpine for example, which have some extraordinary features to configure and tweak sound to individual taste.
  7. Hi,

I recently change my stock speakers with JBL (component - front, co-ax - rear). Though everything works fine at lower volume, the vibrations kick in with music with bass and window vibrates :(. Do I need to install amp to improve anything? I don't plan on using sub so do I need to go with 2 channel or 4 channel. Also i am not that happy with the work done, as my door produces noise while shutting (like loose things inside). The guys stick the connectors at one end with two way tape. Does anyone know good and experienced accessory show in Pune who can get the damping done and fix the speakers properly? I may also get amp installed. I dont listen to music at loud volume but looking for decent bass.

Thanks in advance.
  8. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    The vibrations and noises you talk about are mainly due to faulty installation (broken clips etc). Go to a competent installer to get it fixed. You should get damping done at least in the front doors. I am hoping that the installer used MDF spacers to install the comps (6.5 inchers I guess).

Whether you need an amp or not is totally dependent on how far you want to go. Having an amp would definitely help get the most out of your comps at least.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Check installation for loose wires touching speaker drivers or screw that are loose on speaker. Also, dampening mat for lower vibration and sound insulation is recommended if budget permits.

Best to go for 4 channel amp, since all four speakers could be driven by amp. Also in case in future you change mind and go for sub later, the 2 rear channels can be used to power sub in bridge mode.

If you go through more ICE thread you will find mention of Pune based installers. Alternatively, get in touch with Pune based members on ICE section via PM to ask them.

EDIT: link for one such install (installer)..
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/car-enter...-oem-fiat-ice-upgrade-guide-5.html#post205808
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    Please recommend me good speakers for front and rear. And please direct me to the website from which i could buy them.
    I don't want to change the stock unit nor i need an amplifier. I only want speaker upgrade.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk