1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Which all adapters fit directly to the stock wiring?? Can you please mention the brands.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. bcbiradar

bcbiradar Timido

Bengaluru
    Hi Rockers,

Finally decided to update ICE in my car (Emotion pk) after 2.5 years. Listening to music every day for minimum 2hrs with OEM ICE (would you believe it?) :D
    Been to EVO last Saturday, and discussed with him my requirements.
    He proposed me a configuration in 3 stages.

STAGE 1:</SPAN>
    Diamond Audio D3 605” Component speakers 11500</SPAN>
    MDF Rings X 2 200</SPAN>
    Damping X 4 doors 1000</SPAN>
    Overall wiring 200</SPAN>
    Total 12900</SPAN>

Stage 2:</SPAN>
    Cerwin vega HED600.4 4 Channel Amplifier 9500</SPAN>
    MDF Rings X 2 200</SPAN>
    Overall wiring for 4ch amp + Speakers 2200</SPAN>
    Total 24400</SPAN>

Stage 2:</SPAN>
    Diamond Audio D1 12” Subwoofer 6500</SPAN>
    MDF Rings X 2 + MDF sub box 1600</SPAN>
    Overall wiring for 4ch amp + Speakers + Subwoo 2800</SPAN>
    Total 32900</SPAN>

My taste, requirements & current understanding:</SPAN>
    Don’t want to change head unit</SPAN>
    I listen to Bollywood, Kannada & minimal English (Not hard rock kind) music.</SPAN>
    Love to listen any kind of music at its pure form.</SPAN>
    Looking for clarity enhancement in the music (all instruments) through ICE updation.</SPAN>
    Budget: Around 24K, flexible enough if found VFM.</SPAN>
    Actually I was planning to first upgrade Front components & Rear Coaxial speakers with all 4 doors dampening, Drive for few kms and see if I am happy with the output keep the same or else go for next level – Amplifier & Subwoofer.</SPAN>
    I was planning to go for either one of the following component speakers for front: -</SPAN>
    (Raibow, Polk or Focal)</SPAN>
    And was not sure about the rest…</SPAN>
    But when I met Satya, he said that the given setup by him is proven one and he don’t want to do any experiments with other setup. Though I asked him to consider Raibow, Polk or Focal speakers for front. I found that he is somewhat biased towards Diamond Audio speakers .</SPAN>

Question to all Gurus here…
    </SPAN>
    1. What is your opinion on setup proposed by him?</SPAN>
    2. Is the quotation given by him is ok?</SPAN>
    3. On genuine front is Bill and warranty is enough to consider that the parts are genuine enough?</SPAN>
    4. Does EVO sell genuine audio systems?</SPAN>

Please suggest if any other setup you are confident upon and also any other ICE genuine dealer and installer.
    </SPAN>
    I will go ahead with proposed configuration by Satya (EVO) if you say OK for the same
    .</SPAN>
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. 1)The performance of the products he mentioned are very good(few people go for them because of lack of knowledge about these products)..
    The kind of requirement you have do you think you need that subwoofer??

Btw you he mentioned 4 ch amp and 4 speakers+sub, so rear coax are supposed to draw power from hu(which wont be justified, even a 3-4k speaker will give same output)

2) its hard to say as you have not mentioned which amp and wiring kit is considered.I have found him to quote at par with other dealers and his installers are very good at their work.He doesnt bargain much, but still you can try to make him knock off a couple of grands of the bill.

3) bill and warranty is enough.

4) ofcourse he(satya) sell genuine products(know him personally, so all these cheap practices are impossible).

I think you should go for speakers for four doors with damping(go for dynamat or noisekill avoid cheap unknown brands) , along with a 4 ch amp, if in the future you want that bass(I doubt) go for a mono amp, and a subwoofer.

You can try AutoPlanet opp koramangala bda complex,the owners run the show there.There are 3 test cars with 3 different setups in each car, so you can audition them(but most of the setups are upward of 50k).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Your music taste is pretty similar to mine and here is what I did.
    1.) Pioneer HU - 2 pre outs
    2.) Inifinity Comps
    3.) Ground force coax

Cost = 15K
    The thing is if your not the sort who listens to thumping music all the time then you might not need an AMP and a SUB.
    A good set comps and coax would suffice.

Since your ready to spend 24K, Id suggest the following.
    1.) Diamond / Hertz Comps
    2.) Hertz Coax
    3.) HU of your choice with at least 3 pre-outs.

If you later want to drive an AMP you could do so with 3 pre-outs in your HU. (Stock HU will give you OEM look but SQ would not be great and especially when your spending so much for speakers you should change HU as well.)

Diamond and Hertz comps produce amazing treble and adequate BASS as well. give it a thought you will save yourself a lot of money with this Idea.
    Much Much less than your initial 24K.

NOTE :: Get the damping done after you listen to the same music at the same volume in 2 different setups (w and w/o damping) . You should get a real idea if its really needed for your kind of listening.
    I for one have followed this approach I really want to listen to same music on 2 instances and then only get the damping done.
    Hope it helps.
    1 person likes this.
  5. bcbiradar

bcbiradar Timido

Bengaluru
    1)The performance of the products he mentioned are very good(few people go for them because of lack of knowledge about these products)..
    The kind of requirement you have do you think you need that subwoofer??
    OK. It is same case with me also (Lack of knowledge). Even I raised the same point to him for which he said, Subwoofer is needed even for my taste of music. Satya: Even if i dont install it now, you will come back to me in few days asking for the same (he was quite confident when he was saying this)

Btw you he mentioned 4 ch amp and 4 speakers+sub, so rear coax are supposed to draw power from hu(which wont be justified, even a 3-4k speaker will give same output)
    I think he missed out Co-axials. I will get it clarified. Is not 4 ch amp is sufficient to power Front 2 Comp + rear 2 coax and a subwoofer?

2) its hard to say as you have not mentioned which amp and wiring kit is considered.I have found him to quote at par with other dealers and his installers are very good at their work.He doesnt bargain much, but still you can try to make him knock off a couple of grands of the bill.
    Cerwin vega HED600.4 4 Channel Amplifier 9500. will ask wiring kit details (Any suggestions for wiring kit?). OK</SPAN>

3) bill and warranty is enough.
    OK

4) ofcourse he(satya) sell genuine products(know him personally, so all these cheap practices are impossible).
    Hmmm

I think you should go for speakers for four doors with damping(go for dynamat or noisekill avoid cheap unknown brands) , along with a 4 ch amp, if in the future you want that bass(I doubt) go for a mono amp, and a subwoof
    I insisted him to use Dyanamat for damping for which he said it is not required and the material(local) he is goint to use will give same out put.

You can try AutoPlanet opp koramangala bda complex,the owners run the show there.There are 3 test cars with 3 different setups in each car, so you can audition them(but most of the setups are upward of 50k).
    Will try next weekend as I am going on trip this weekend. 50K:rolleyes:????
  6. bcbiradar

bcbiradar Timido

Bengaluru
    Your music taste is pretty similar to mine

Cool :)

here is what I did.
    1.) Pioneer HU - 2 pre outs
    2.) Inifinity Comps
    3.) Ground force coax

Cost = 15K

What about Blue&Me and Steering mounted controls

The thing is if your not the sort who listens to thumping music all the time then you might not need an AMP and a SUB.
    A good set comps and coax would suffice.

Since your ready to spend 24K, Id suggest the following.
    1.) Diamond / Hertz Comps
    2.) Hertz Coax
    3.) HU of your choice with at least 3 pre-outs.

If you later want to drive an AMP you could do so with 3 pre-outs in your HU. (Stock HU will give you OEM look but SQ would not be great and especially when your spending so much for speakers you should change HU as well.)

Diamond and Hertz comps produce amazing treble and adequate BASS as well. give it a thought you will save yourself a lot of money with this Idea.
    Much Much less than your initial 24K.

NOTE :: Get the damping done after you listen to the same music at the same volume in 2 different setups (w and w/o damping) . You should get a real idea if its really needed for your kind of listening.
    I for one have followed this approach I really want to listen to same music on 2 instances and then only get the damping done.
    Hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

Exactly with same things in mind I went to him
    2 good front Components
    2 Rear Coax
    Stock HU (Since I heard changing the same, we have to sacrifice Blue&Me and Steering mounted controls

He claims that, by doing so he can only enhance music output by 10%. But with the setup he proposed it will be enhanced a noticable amount.

That is the reason I am confused now.:confused:
  7. In 4 ch amp, 2 channel bridged for front compos and other two for either rear coax or subwoofer.
    If you want to install all three ,a 5ch amp will do..again this will be expensive.
    Better option is to go for all four door speakers with a 4ch amp..then when you need subwoofer get a mono amp+subwoofer..

Get damping done along with the install you will certainly enjoy the expereince..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do consider looking at hertz/rainbow and Digital designs, they offer similar priced equipment's with better results.

Why not opt for a front comp+sub setup rather than adding co-ax's at the rear, don't think they add much purpose for the price.

Sent from my HTC galaxy A116 using Tapatalk 2 :p
    1 person likes this.
  9. I have a similar setup but honestly that surround effect seriously lacks..So now in the look out for coax.
    Btw, I have a spare 4ch amp in my other car(my dad uses it)he doesn't need that(the hu can power the speakers), but my question is I already have a 4 ch amp running,so will it cause any problem to add one more(wrt to power consumption and warranty and stuffs)??

If possible I will be using one amp to power the front and back speakers(after I upgrade of course),and other to power the woofer for now..Maybe in the future(quiet far) use it to power another sub or another set of speakers in the parcel tray.

Guys please give your inputs with various combinations..

10. bcbiradar

bcbiradar Timido

Bengaluru
    So based on all (Phew, Arnab & The Black) your suggestions, I am planning to go ahead for following setup

Rainbow/Polk/Hertz Component speakers </SPAN>
    Diamond Audio D1 12” Subwoofer 6500</SPAN>
    MDF Rings X 2 + MDF sub box 1600</SPAN>
    Overall wiring for 4ch amp + Speakers + Subwoo 2800</SPAN>
    Total XYZ

What is your openinon on Cerwin vega HED600.4 4 Channel Amplifier?

Will above setup work fine?

Also please suggest any good component speakers with model no. budeget around RS. 12000