1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SKSy_Biker

SKSy_Biker

Bangalore
    Hmm.. Didn't know that. Looks like some cost shavings have been done ::V

I unfortunately did not carry my camera/phone while install hence have no pictures. But the tweeter was placed where the original ones were supposed to be. So looks no different from stock speaker setup.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats fine, if tweeter can be fitted at same place, then good for me.

Can you please provide more details of set-up and brand you chose. Cost and place.
  3. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Ravi, Instead of choosing the speakers first, please please audition a few brands. A good component for me might not be good for you because of the listening taste and the ear taste. Audition a few and then narrow down from there. ::T
  4. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I think most after market tweeters will not fit in the stock location. Its just to small!

In some components you can put the tweeter on the speaker itself! But I am wondering how this affects the sound stage.

Anyone? got ideals on this? :confused

Also does anyone know a quality installer in Mumbai/Pune where I can also audition stuff?? I am looking at Illusion Components! (SQ setup)
  5. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Countrock ur absolutely right. The OEM tweeters are too small. It can only take a max of 0.5 inch tweeters. Nothing more than that.

I have used the method you mentioned i.e putting the tweeters on the main speaker housing. It was one of the recommended methods. Believe me, it doesnt make a penny's difference. For detials, check my ICE thread

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1213&start=310

Also, check this

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1213&start=410
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How is auditioning done?

Guys, I hear from a lot of people regarding "auditioning the speakers".
    I am curious to know regarding the method for auditioning these speakers. Obviously they can't install speakers in the car and give an audition. The only method IMO is to take a demo inside the shop where they play the speakers with their own HU.

Now what confuses me is that Linea/Punto have their own Blaupunkt HU which has a built in 4 channel amp rated at 30x4W.
    Whereas those available in the aftermarket have MOFSET 50x4W or higher. Moreover the HU with the dealer might be much higher quality than the stock HU of our cars.

Is it any good doing auditioning in such case?
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Also, JBL might sound better but might run starved on stock HU whereas Hertz might play a lot better with our HUs as experienced by Johnny.
  8. To all the audio gurus, your kind suggestion required, regarding ICE upgrade in my car.

Would love to know the basic upgrades needed for my Linea Emo Pack, like compos and/or co-axials, amp, subs etc. Regarding the brands, I can check out in the market but if anyone would like to recommend any particular brand, based on their experience, please feel free to do so.

I am not too much into loud or thumping music but would like to have clarity/detail in music.

My budget is anything upto 15k.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions in advance.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, waiting for your inputs so that there can be some output to my queries.

Dr Shiva, before the gurus come back, let another ICE newbie share his small gyan.
    Ok, so you can't change the HU and the only option is to upgrade the speakers.

Options: Components (Comps), co-axials, amplifier (amp), sub-woofer (sub).

Rated power of in-built amp of the HU is 30x4W.

Best option IMO is to add components to the front and co-axials to the rear.

Size of Comps- 6'1/2" or 6.5
    Size of co-axials- 5'1/4" or 5.25

Budget spending and type of set up depends upon whether you want to add amp+sub or not.

If I were you with 15k to spend:
    I will spend like this:

SET UP1: Components upto Rs5000.
    Co-axials upto Rs3000.
    Enjoy it without much hassles and wiring grid under your carpet. No worries about battery/electrical/warranty issues.

SET UP2: Components upto Rs5000.
    Co-axials upto Rs3000.
    Amp upto Rs5000.
    Wiring upto Rs2000.
  10. @PaddleShifter: You are amazing. This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. For now, I have planned to go for your option 1, and maybe after couple of months, I might go for an amp and a sub.

I might start auditioning some speakers this weekend. Any thoughts on good brands? So far I have heard Polkaudio and JBL are good.