1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I suggest you get yourself a mono amp for your subwoofer and keep aside this nice 4 channel amp for powering your 4 door speakers when you upgrade... You can damp later on when you add component speakers for the doors (damping just the front doors will be sufficient ).
  2. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    teky, thanks for the info. I will call him up and well, this stretch is a bit familiar to me. Can you pm me with some pointers ? that would really help.

varuntr, will there be any harm to the 4 channel amp if I use it with stock system ? I know I cant extract much juice out of the stock speakers, its just a better sound quality and some bass is all I am looking for now.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    LF just relax and go ahead with your 4 channel amp and things will work fine.....jus keep the gains below 30% and all work well

Waheguru Waheguru
  4. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Alritee :cool: Thanks Phew !
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Mate - Just check the T-Bhp directory and it's detailed under Chennai. It's just congested than the normal roads. You've to take the left next to Raja Tyres on Pycrofts road and you probably ought to take the third left.
  6. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Sure teky, thanks for the pointers :)
  7. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Hello All,
    Sadly I have to say that ever since I have got the install done from Driven in Mar 2011 ; I have been facing one or the other problems in the Audio setup. First it was the bad installation(missing rear MDF rings and rattling). After intervention of Phew, Driven looked into the issue and fixed it (as I have mentioned in the above post) but the joy was not there to last long.

After working for around 6 months another problem started. The audio in front left speaker would suddenly fall down to a very low level and that too with a lot of noise like "krr" "krr". It would remain like that for some time and then would automatically become ok. I tried this with CDs and USB also. The behavior is very erratic . When it works fine, it would work perfectly and then suddenly out of the blue the audio would become corrupted only to become ok , again in a random fashion. The problem does not occur , no matter if you even hit hard on the speaker . If it has to occur it would occur even with the car standing still.

I took it to Driven somewhere in April 2012 . Mr Rana tried the usual "speaker hitting" (hit the speaker with the hand) method but the problem did not occur . Even after taking it through a bad road it did not occur. Rana ji then said that unless the problem occurs , he cannot fix it. Anyways I saw no point in arguing , so I left. On the way it again happened and it was very irritating. It has been behaving thus since then . Randomly the front right speaker would have the audio corrupted only to become ok after some time. What can be the issue ?

Also for few songs , i notice that the front doors rattle . But if I press the door panel tightly the rattling goes away . Can it be due to some missing door latches ? A few door latches were broken during the time of installation , that might be a reason.

Anyways , coming back , what should I do now ? I am thinking of taking the car to Motor Concepts and showing it to Aman there . Does anyone know if they would look into the "krr krr" sound issue , in case the installation is not done by them ? Does anyone have any reviews about Motor Concepts?

I dont think taking the car to Driven again would make any sense since like Rana jee said , till the problem occurs they wont be able to fix it . Should they not be having some sort of a checklist ? I really feel sad having spend almost 34k on the installation and yet not having the quality :( Anyways currently have made up my mind to take it to some other installer . How is Motor Concepts ? Any other good installer in Delhi/Noida who can check up the setup ?

Just for information ; my audio setup consists of Rainbow compos in front and coax in rear with stock HU . Also I have the Blaukpunkt PnP 475 amplifier, which though hardly seem to serve any purpose ; since the speakers sound pretty much the same with/without the amplifier ; Probably because of very good sensitivity of the speakers it seems they can easily be driven from the stock HU. Anyways thats not an issue; but the real issue I have highlighted above.

Thanks guys for your help!!
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    "krr" "krr" noise appears to be static noise. It means that some components of your HU/amplifier/crossover have gone bad.
    - Since the noise is just in the front left, you could try removing the crossover and run only mids (Please do not run the tweeter in this case). Perform this step under supervision only. If this does not solve the issue then try the following
    - Try running without amp and see if noise comes. If noise does not come without amp, then amp would be the issue. Replacing amp may help in this case
    - However, if it comes without amp then HU is the issue. Replacing the HU may help in this case

Most audio accessories dealers will not be able to resolve this. All these reputed shops are good only till the time problem does not occur. Once a problem occurs most of them will put their hands up
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Thanks for your inputs @speedJet. After your idea I did something . First thing I removed the amplifier and just connected the mail and female connectors together so that the HU directly drives the speakers. Further I swapped the front and the rear connections through these connectors. I noticed that still the same speaker is producing the distortion. So it seems its neither the ampli nor the HU , but some issue with the speaker or the tweeter. What do you think?

BTW when you are saying the "crossover" gone bad you mean the circuit which drives the tweeter and that is placed inside the door panel . Do I need to open the door panel ? BTW do you have any idea where can we get the special keys to open the door panel ? I mean the special levers which they insert to removed the door panel after unscrewing the concerned screws ?

Also I noticed that if I use the "balance" and "fader" of the HU to just power the concerned defective speaker (front left) still I hear some music being played from the front right speaker . So the "balance" function has not fully xfered the sound to the concerned side . Is it normal ? Or can it be due to the fact that due to some issue in the front left speaker(like shorting) the balance has not xferred 100 % of the sound to the concerned speaker and as an effect the sound is still coming from the front right speaker as well???
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Did you ever crank up the volume too much i.e. beyond what they can handle? If not, there is very less probability of speaker (mid) going bad. Tweeter can go bad if volume is blasted and crossover is not fine or upto the mark. So as of now, it seems that it could be any of the following:
    - cable/connectors connecting left speaker: if these are normal connectors and not the gold plated ones then clean those male-female connectors using a blade. see if it helps in reducing krr, krr
    - crossover
    - tweeter

Yes, crossover is the circuit that filters signal and provides it to mid and tweeter. You shall have to open the door panel. I have never done it so do not have any idea - if you can get some help from outside it would be good. Even I wanted to open and upgrade speakers myself but I do not know how to do it. My inputs are based on my experience with home audio amplifiers and speakers

This is normally HU dependent and some sound could still come from the speaker after adjusting balance and fade. Please note that if speaker is shorted, your channel will stop working. Even the best of amps get damaged if speaker is shorted. So I do not see that this is speaker shorting. This is most likely a crossover or tweeter issue. All the best and keep us posted