1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Phew - I've not listened to extensive amp's listed out there, But I've got installed the Focal Solid 4 in my Car and so have my other friends in a Punto & Linea. I believe the Focal Solid needs a good pair of components to give them justice, I've the Kicker 600.2 and they aren't really good. However I've listened to them along with Focal Polyglass and god it was sounding so smooth and rejoicing. It was a complete Focal set-up including Focal Poly glass sub and as I said earlier it had the right amount of bass, wasn't too bright and too laid back.
  2. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It might be but how do they fare india remains a question, brands like tru tech/audison/genesis/eclipse/steg have not had the best of runs in india even though they are big time players in the international market. Or for tht matter look at clarion and alpine though being the biggest names in audio world there response in india is just not there. I suppose when one is shelling around 15k for an amp, it should certainly be well recieved and tried and tested by many individuals.
    To b honest I never believe what says in reviews as in most cases it is "to each his own" . So the reviewer although experienced might have a different taste to what I/u have, thts one reason I listen to as many possible equipments I can before I make a call, just to select my amp I ate up everyones head at driven and bbw juat to audition the same amp atleast 15 times in three days. Coz everytime I heard it I had more and more doubts and finallg they were cleared after so much hearing.

Harmony & chaos
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

You are really lucky to have good friends so that you can make that kind of informed choice :)

Agree with you - many of the well knows brands have not really made a cut here. What you have done is the best way to choose ICE - true to your signature ;)

@teky: I have also heard that to do full justice to Solid 4, it should be paired with polyglass. Otherwise, Solid 4 appears to be a bright.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    teky :
    Thanks for the review bro, should certainly help.

Anoop :
    Sure am lucky, now tht I am planning another audio install, no one at driven or bbw are takin my calls. :p

Harmony & chaos
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. Jasveen baba ki jai.

Due to some unexplainable reasons my facebook id has changed.
    The name of the new id is six speed twin
    Will be sending requests to you guys very shortly
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    common people wake up, my friend getting impatient over the selection, all those who are using the equipment pls care to share
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    need a few reviews help

was just scrolling around for a set of subs for my next install and came across 2.

1 infinity kappa 120.9w - 11250/-(very tempting price)

2. JBL GTO 804 - 4000/- (probably use 3 of these)

now the reason I am looking out for these is because I need 2 X 8" subs for a sedan and one 12" for my sisters i10. now usually people go the other way around ie: 12" in sedan and 8" in hatchback(probably), but lets just say I don seem to go the conventional way. Now I need the help/review for the kappa as well as for the JBl(if anyone tried it). The search is completely for an SQ setup with barely a sound dropping out of the car. Both will be powered by a single four channel amp(bull audio). Price is a big factor here, that is one of the reasons why I have not looked at DD/ID/Rainbow/etc......

So please people pour in ur thoughts and views as this needs to be finalised at the earliest.

further more the setups will be identical with the following equipment:

1. kenwood HU
    2. Hertz comps
    3. bull audio amp
    4. Bull audio wiring 7gauge
  8. baska

baska

Chennai
    Today I went to a ICE installer to check out his ability with car audio.
    He said the stock HU of punto is a complete crap and not the speakers. When a good HU was connected with stock speakers the result was more better and clear, he said.

So who is the culprit? Stock HU, Stock Spearkers or the guy? And he claims that he had done the same for 3 puntos and all are happy with the thing.
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Baska,

The stock HU is not as bad as the installer has stated. With decent after market speakers, it gives good quality sound. The stock speakers on the other hand are bad. The HU is limited by:

(a) low output (about 18W RMS per channel as I remember), and

(b) No 'pre outputs' (so connection of an amp becomes difficult, and the sound out put will not be that good since the input to the amp will be from the "speaker out". You will have to use a hi-lo converter, which is also not a very optimal solution. Use of a Blaupunkt PNP amp may be a solution, but I am not sure if it is compatible with the new HUs).

Changing the HU means that you will lose steering mounted controls & B&M. (Once you get used to them you will wonder how you managed without them). So, think about this before you take a decision.

Installers will tell you what they "needs to sell you their equipment". So, take what he says with a 'pinch of salt', and take an informed decision that you will not regret later. Reading the posts in the ICE section will help you take a better decision.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

+1 to johnys post - do take what the installer tells with a pinch of salt.

As Johny have said, the stock HU is not that bad. Among the stock components, the speaker is the worst one. Change them to a decent component set and you will see a good difference.

@Johny: I do not think the stock HU outputs 18 w RMS - if it outputs 18 W RMA, it is very good. Even CDA 117 have only 18 W RMS output.

Can any one please confirm the RMS output of the stock HU?

@Phew paaji - we need you here....
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011