1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^^ thanks Fiattucine, seems to be a good DSP.

What i was asking was did u hear to the HU with the upgraded speakers and sub without the DSP. i wanted to know how much difference did the DSP create by flattening out the signals and sending out clean low lever preamps to the amplifiers.
  2. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    Lets say we tried it without the DSP. How could we have connected the amp and mono and through them, the speakers n sub because, as I said earlier, the stock HU does not have pre-outs? At best, we could have replaced the OEM speakers with the upgraded ones and then compared it with the sound produced by the signals going through the DSP. To sum it up, the SQ depends on the HU too and with a crappy one like the stock, it doesnt take a genius to figure out the rest, would it? :p

The trend now and ahead is for cars with integrated OEM HUs so its worthwhile investing in a DSP. Unless the car company provides preouts with a decent HU or you are willing to lose warranty for putting in an after-market HU. See, besides being thick skinned, one has to be a jugaadoo once youre a FIAT customer :p
  3. @fiattucine

thanks for reply....:)

yes,i have a 2 channel amp and i connected it to the sub.
    front and rear speakers are powered by HU.

is it necessary that components should be powered by an amp?
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If ur happy with the sound then u don need an amp or els lik u have a sub powered by an amp u certainly need one to strike the best possible combinatin

Harmony & Choas
  5. @phew
    i am not satisfied with the sound.

my question was whether it is necessary to power component with amplifier....or HU is sufficiant.

i also wanted to know ,

whether all four speakers in the car must be of same capacity?if not then where should we place the speakers with more power?

is it better to go for all 4 door speakers or front door and rear parcel speakers.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Get an amp

it all depends on ur listening habit, but ur setup needs an amp

if u drive then place them at the front or els at the rear

Again if u drive solo then no need of speakers at the back, but thts completely upto u

Harmony & Choas
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    kindly read the comments in the quote column.....unfortunately wasn't able to post them in bold
  8. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    @Naren you said you have the following installed:

Front Speakers: Infinity REF 6030cs Components. The power rating of these components is 90w RMS, freq. response is 53-21 and impedance is 2 ohms.
    Rear Speakers:sony xplod (in rear doors). You have not specified model so cant tell you the specs n power rating.
    Amplifier: (Sony Xm-gtx6022 2 Channel Amplifier . Rated Output Power 75W 2 / 1.0% (at 2 ohms), 60W 2 / 1.0% (at 4 ohms), Frequency Response 5-50kHz
    SubWoofer:Hertz 10″ Subwoofer Enclosure. You have not specified the model or power rating so cannot comment.

Ok, so lets see what you have.
    1. The HU can barely do 25-30w max and you are powering the 90w compos with that??!! see the mismatch?? However good the compos, they cannot perform at their best ratings cos they are limited by the power rating of the HU!!!
    2. Next the amp. I suppose you bridge it to connect to the sub so that means 75w max. Thats peanuts for a sub!!! Subs are generally much more powerful than that lil figure there, even the smaller ones and you have a 10" hertz. even though you havent mentioned the model, i will assume its a decent sub of at least 150w output?? so the sub too is under-fed. You have not specified the sony xplod speakers model so cant say anything there but i strongly suspect the same situation must be happening there. Underfed urchins again :p

To vitaminize and nourish these underfed urchins, please install a decent 4 channel amp to power the front speakers and bridged, to power the sub too :D Maybe an 80-100w per channel amp?? I wont suggest a mono for the sub since its expensive and i dont know if your sub warrants the need for a mono. And yes, damping of the doors and boot to eliminate vibrations and deliver better accoustics inside the car.

@Phew has already addressed your other queries. Hope this could be of some help.
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    how did you connect DSP to OEM head unit?
  10. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    Normally, the pre-outs from the HU go to the amps as input and the output of the amps go to the speakers. Well, since in this case there are no pre-outs, thanks to Italian practicality, the output from the HU, also called Level Input goes to the DSP as input.

In simple words, the wires which go to the speakers from the HU(the stock speakers) go to the input of the DSP. On the other side of the DSP are the outputs which go to the amps as their inputs. Finally, the output of the amps go to the respective speakers. The DSP is basically the interface between the HU and the amps and speakers.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011