1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Drive drift,

Hertz speakers are quite good in terms of sound quality. However, the model that you have selected uses a pressed paper cone. With our type of weather, this may not last very long. I will suggest a brand that uses polypropylene or such synthetic cone material with a butyl rubber surround. This will give a more lasting solution. Since your budget is a bit 'tight', I will suggest brands like Bull (good value for money), or MTX Roadthunder series. They both sound OK with just the HU driving them.

Definitely get the front doors damped, and if you can stretch your budget, get the rear doors also damped. This will make a big difference to the sound. Damping each door will cost you about 1500/- (approx 6000/- for all four doors). So you are looking at a minimum outlay of about 3000/- (only front doors) on this count. This will still leave about 7000/- for the speakers. Should suffice if you are looking at entry level speakers.

Also go through the posts in the ICE section. There are some very detailed write-ups with photos etc. This will help you make a more informed decision.

Regards
    Johnny
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Drive drift, I am using JBL comps in front and JVC coaxs at the rear. They sound good upto a volume level of 12-13 beyond which the first thing that takes a hit is the bass (lows) followed by highs and mids.
    Sir Johnny and Ma'am Johnny have both approved the sound quality of JBL with Punto HU when we last met. Only thing is that you have to settle for a volume of upto 12-13 at max for good quality.

Otherwise. Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, MTX and Bull offer very nice speakera that can be powered adequately by the stock HU and you can take them to much higher volumes.

Door damping is something I have not been able to do till date. Damping the doors makes tremendous improvement in sound quality as per experts and user reviews and bass becomes much more tight since the doors act kind of like enclosures after damping.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. hi johnny/PaddleShifter,

can you let me know the speaker series/model no/brand which you suggest me with punto OE HU. I m ok to do the damping if it really need one. Budget can be expanded for damping. suggest some speakers front/Rear both on existing setup.

not looks for sub or amp.
  4. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    JBL comps and co axials are quite good..Even i use them..Set the bass to 1 or 2, sound can be increased upto 20..:) Now looking for a high to low converter..Any suggestions on that??
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Drive_drift,

I am using MTX, and I like their sound. The other VFM brand which I liked was Bull.

With your budget, I will recommend MTX RTS 652 compos for front & MTX RTC 653 for the rear. These are from the Road Thunder series. These speakers are very efficient & will work well with only the HU. You can also add an amp later if you so wish. The speakers can handle the power.

In the case of Bull, the model No is CS650.75 for the comps. I am not sure of the model for the co-axials. They are the budget offering from Rainbow, and are also very good.

The rear takes 5.25" speakers. What I have seen is that in the case of co-axials 5.25 costs almost as much as 6.5" (in a few cases the 5.25" is actually more expensive!). So fit MDF spacer rings and fit the 6.5" co-axials for the rear.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i dont think there is any use of rear speakers (at least in my punto no.) if you can go without them well and good and of course save some money.
    those rear speaker rather than improving the sound ,distort the sound stage more due to weird and illogical placement.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. thanks johnny,
    let me do i m doing my part of research on the above mention by you, need to search MTX dealer in bangalore too.
    with the current OE speakers are making my driver side vibration if bass and treble set to 3\4, and volume at 17 or above. I thinking Damping is compulsory now. I listen all songs with 256KBPS+ .
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please refrain from keeping the bass/treble settings so high, it is causing nothing but clipping.
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    bad installations or mismatch in installations causes clippings and distortion at high settings. same as at high speeds and high rev if a car start to judder or jerks means something some where wrong.
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    :lol That's the most weird explanation I have come across in a long time. Can u please explain the term "CLIPPING" and its causes to me, it seems you follow quite a different theory