1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    infact u need 1 per door if u wish to do it properly and once and for all, and it will cost the same here in india(1400/- per sheet)
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Yupp agree with Phew! Pack of 4 12x36 sheets costs $49 and $70 in shipping to India. The landed price would be pretty much similar to what you get here locally. If you can get someone carry it for you, then it makes sense.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I really doubt it. These sheets weigh quite a bit. With four sheets he will not have much baggage allowance left.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Tarun,

You must get the rear doors damped. It will improve the sound quality. However, in my opinion getting the boot damped will be an overkill. The doors need damping because you are mounting speakers on the doors, and the door cavity forms the 'enclosure' for the speaker. I have explained the requirement in Para 2 of this post:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?1455-ICE-Considerations&p=57567&viewfull=1#post57567

Though you are mounting the sub in the boot, the same logic will not apply. So, it will be a wasted effort.

Regards
    Johnny
  5. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Well you gotta sweeten the deal for the person carrying it. I've seen people carry bulk packs (9 sheets of 18x32 or something) which weigh close to 14-15 kgs. If someone is travelling light, he/she can easily carry it. The four sheet pack Tarun is talking about weighs just 4-5 kgs; shouldn't be much trouble. But then when have we Indians travelled light????
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Johnny sir i wud disagree on this fact as the rear plastic on the boot is of the worst quality and the boot rattles like hell, certainly damping is required more so in the boot as its getting the max thump @ around 200-300 rms, which is almost 3-4 times the power the speakers wud b generating at the rear doors.

@ all members
    When getting ur speakers installed, do the installers remove the plastic sheet thts there on the doors metal, even tht causes noise giving one a feeling of the doors resonating
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Phew,

You have a point about the plastic quality on the boot door, and if you have experienced rattling with the sub, then damping would be the way to go.

However, what I want to bring out is that irrespective of the build quality of the car, if you mount speakers on the doors, you will need damping because the door cavity becomes the speaker enclosure, and since it forms an 'infinite baffle' enclosure, the interior needs to be damped. The same 'funda' will not apply to the boot since the sub is mounted in the boot, and not the boot door.

Be that as it may, as I said earlier, your hands on knowledge about ICE is way better than anyone else in TFI, and if you say that the boot must be damped, then I am sure that it should be damped.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Johnny sir: We mere mortals don't use a 1000W pure RMS Italian amp and 1000W RMS subs and 250W RMS comps. Damping is needed in his case for sure.

Phew: Now that you mentioned, I am pretty sure the plastic sheet was removed from the front doors while damping and installing the comps in my car. You clicked a couple pics. Can you post them here so that I can be sure?
  9. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    @ PHEW
    yeh i had my plastic sheets removed when my front two doors were damped .. i asked the installer why and he said :-" sir this sheet is to stop dust from getting inside nd look how dirty the insides are { pointing me towards the inwards of door metal } ... i asked wat abt the Humidity ?? INstaller replied -- " NO worries, water won't get inside so why u worring abt Humidity" m taking his words for now.........
    let me know wat u think SIR ..