1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    ^^
    yes it is required ,oem HU does not provide pre out (low level signal out) to drive additional amps . so we are left with speaker output which happens to be high level signals.

direct connection of high level to input of additional amp will lead to heavy distortion of sound or burn out . so a hi-low convertor to reduce the amplitude of speaker level output to pre out level becomes essential.
  3. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Yes this is required.
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ICE time for my new rides

Lookig forward to everyone's valuable suggestions, jus bought a swift and punto diesel for my cousins and need to upgrade the ice. The only dilemma is which source to opt for

got the following options

Alpine - CDE 102
    Pioneer - DEH 6300UB
    Kenwood - KDC 448U/348U

now i'm slightly tilted towards the alpine as it gives better BASS than the other two
    but my cousins preffer pioneer

The setup is gonna be completely basic with just a source and speakers, need suggestions from u all
  5. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Phew: If you are planning for installing an amp as well then you need to look out for a player with pre-outs. Other than that ask questions like do you need USB, SD, iPod connectivity options. If you are looking for a decent performance don't look more than Pioneer. Thats my personal opinion.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    quality of sound is brand independent. but quality of product can be otherwise.!!!

may it be alpine or pioneer or sony. dealers may push you to go for certain brand due to several reasons where mostly it could be extra profit . obviously public start to believe so and so brand is good that is why it sells more >not necessarily.

the best idea to go for a good ice setup/upgrade is advice or suggestion from knowledgeable and reliable person.

almost all brands have equally competitive products with equally counterfeits one too.
    pioneer being worst hit with counterfeit due to its popularity.

i chose polk db6501component because it sounded mellow and well composed to my taste compared to kenwood and pioneer which were bright and loud.
    most people want sound bright and loud so they will find it appropriate and will be in stock with dealer.

though polk cost me 7k but kenwood and pioneer were around 5k.
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    THnx for the info bro.....but I need advice for the source, the speakers have already been decided and bought
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Phew,

Alpine is a good brand, but is not readily available all over - there could be issues about support, and genuiness. The other two are good options. Buy only from a brand dealer with bill & warranty. The extra you spend is worth it in the long run.

Go for an SD card option. They can take 16 GB & more SDHC cards. Unlike USB, the SD cards do not stick out, and so less chances of damage from kids etc.

Regards
    Johnny
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I will prefer Alpine against all others. If you need I can get you to audition my old Alpine Cassette player (which I intended to use as FM Player some time in future)... the playback you get from this deivce is superb even an FM radio... for the need of MP3 CD player, I changed it to JVC and it sucked big time.. the sound effect is not comparable...

just stick to Alpine if you get one... i will bet my last buck..

And let me remind all these are China / Taiwan made and quality defers and usually 1 or 2 year std warranty... after which god save us.... be it any brand
  10. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Anyone installed a DVD player addtionally??? Please post details if yes.