1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    hey Viny, why are you suggesting anyone to buy this junk. :lol:

one will be better off with after market HU with pre amp outs, good subwoofer controls and amazing sound clarity.

active and dynamic users are very luckly that they can directly go for after market HU. they can also have HU with blue and me functions. right from calling, bluetooth streaming navigation and what not.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

Its for someone who wants the stock looks :D
    And for the price it does makes some sense :)
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    for 5000 rs you will get a brand new head unit with better looks and nice lighting effect and full control. HPF LPF SUB out equalizers and what not.

the ad posted said its a used ones. looking at pic it looks abused ones :)
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

well someone (I forgot who :confused ) was looking for same, so i posted for sake of him and others.
  6. Dear All,

Thank you for all the comments so far.

Call it sheer luck but this Morning, I accompanied one of my good friends for his ICE upgrade in his new Santro Xing. He is a Sony fan so was busy fixing the HU, comps and coaxials when I saw another car (VW Vento) parked and pumping some really good music affects. I approached the owner of the car and asked him the configuration and to my surprise, he had fixed the Focal Polyglass, from Bangalore. I jumped at the opportunity and requested him for an audition to which he hesitantly agreed. Not willing to let my luck go off so easily, I got down to business and played with his HU (Pioneer, dont remember the exact model number), equalizer, trying different combinations. I must say I was deeply impressed by the sound quality but the bass was not to my liking. Too loud is what I can call it. He had the Kicker subs installed powered by an Auditor amp. The compos and coaxes were from Focal.

I pulled out my USB stick from the car in which I had the magical song which I have been using lately to audition ICE set-ups, by the Maestro Ilaiyaraja, Minnu Kori Varanam from Agni Natchatiram. I somehow feel, this song is complete with appreciable bass (not loud), good high vocals by Chitra and superb mids. The electric guitar in this song is amazing. And the manner the music travels from one speaker to the other is mind blowing. Anyway, the Focals did not let me down and played this song very neatly. Another song (which I apparently did not have with me today), which I use for ICE auditions is the famous Kanne Kalamane. The reason being, I am not sure if everyone knows, that there is a solo violin which plays in the background along with Yesudas's vocals. Most music systems will not bring that violin part out but you can always pick it if you are wearing good quality headphones.

I am stuck with the Focal Polyglass now and will decide about the amp and sub soon. One of my friends, who is a sound engineer, confirmed the installers advice that for a high end ICE, better to stick with the same brand set-up as any speakers will sound the best and reciprocate well with the same brand amps and so on with coaxials and subs. Lets see how my mood shifts :)

I spoke to the installer this Afternoon to understand the B & W stuff to which he told that a proper warranty card with the installers sign and seal will be provided to me, with 1 year replacement warranty. On clarification, he told that he is an authorized installer for the focal sub-dealer and his seal is legible on the warranty card. He also mentioned that there are lot of fakes in the market with respect to Focals and offered to show me the fakes to satisfy my concerns. I have also got feedback from another TFI member that this installer provides genuine Focals and he is happy so far.

Below are the details of the set-up. Audio freaks, your technical comments would be highly appreciated!!!

Coaxials
    Compos
    Amp
    Sub-W

[attachment=3:223fem3c]Subwoofer.JPG[/attachment:223fem3c]

[attachment=2:223fem3c]Components.JPG[/attachment:223fem3c]

[attachment=1:223fem3c]Coaxials.JPG[/attachment:223fem3c]

Amp.JPG

Subwoofer.JPG

Components.JPG

Coaxials.JPG
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Looks like you've decided it all ::T

I've only one thing about the rear co-axials, How would they perform if driven from the stock HU. Since you're getting a 4-Channel amp this would mean bridging a channel for sub and rest to be fed into front comps. Is there any lower end Focal stuff you can be looking at the rear co-axial. If you're going to be driving the car alone all the time, why not really skip the rear co-axials?

Also did you enquire about the dampning, With the kind of speakers which is going in please get the complete doors dampened.
  8. mindgrinder

mindgrinder Novizio

Delhi
  9. Ha ha... Teky, I have not decided yet but am waiting to be convinced to go for another combination (that includes auditioning your ICE too). You have mirrored my thoughts about the co-axials. In fact, I might just keep the OEM rear speakers if the purpose of the co-axials is just for filling the void. Will save 7k easily or go for some other cheaper brand (any suggestions??). The coaxials in my above post belong to the Access series which is the lowest end in Focal.

Agree with the dampening also. If the polyglass goes in, I will be covering the whole doors with Dynamats. The quotations seems bit on a lesser side, but will negotiate if he increases.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My Kenwood is rated with 50x4 . Means max. power is 200 Watt

In real time we will get 22x4 = 88 Watt

If Stock HU is rated 30x4 . Means max. power is 120 Watt

In real time we will get less than Kenwood ? :shocked

Why FIAT is not supplying higher wattege HU like Maruti Dzire ? :confused

In Dzire HU is Nippon ( Another brand name of Kenwood) having 45x4.
    It has decent output which does not need amplifire :wow