1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ICE Considerations

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jan 17, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nope, no problem whatsoever. The results will be fantastic. You'll be amazed by the difference in the quality. Just make sure that you do not go for comps having RMS wattage of like 100+Watts. Comps like Infinity Kappa won't be VFM for OEM HU as OEM HU is just 30x4W.

Refer to some brands used by Sathya_sc, Johnny and Karan_Sharma. Read what they say. All of them are satisfied with the results.

I have fitted JBL GTO608 comps in the front and JVC 4-way co-axials at the back. Only thing is that now there are a lot of rattles as a result of poor job by the installer.
  2. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Thank you doc, will read the threads you have mentioned. I will ensure the speakers match with the ratings of the HU.

Regards
    Vasu
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Its 30W X 4 Speakers with max out at 40-45W per speaker.
    Components are like long term investments. Invest in the best possible speaker available in your budget, you wont regret during future upgrades :)
  4. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Vinay, if OEM ratings are 40 watts then if i buy these ratings, in future i cannot use them,

Can i drive > 100W comps with the OEM ? I think we may have to put amp in place ?

Vinay, do you work for Oracle EPIP?

Thanks
    Vasu
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You don't have to buy a 30W RMS speaker. My JBL GTO608C are 70W RMS. There was no stock of newer GT5 available. So, I went for GTO series. Now, I have "discovered" at some forum that GTOs are 2-ohm speakers.

If you want JBL, go for GT5 only. GT5-S265C are 60W RMS with 4-ohms.

Karan Sharma has got Rockford Fosgate and I have checked the sound. It is awesome.
    (P.S.- I am not an audiophile)
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    kr_vasudev
    I am using 90W Infinity compos in all doors, OEM HU have no problem powering them till volume of 20. After that the speakers start to distort due to less power
    But they would show their true colors when powered by an Amp.

Yashik JBL GTO series compos are not true 2 Ohm speakers. They are in the range of 3.xxx Ohm. They can be safely used with OEM HU.
    Even Infinity 6530cs are not true 2 Ohm speakers.
    GTO series compos sound better than Gt5 series. GTO 608c is a discontinued product that is the reason why its available cheap almost same as Gt5 series :dance
  7. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Vijay,

This is a good piece of information.

To start with i will buy good comps and coaxial for rear and drive it with OEM. In any case, I do not use loud sound

At later date for lot lot of research i will choose a good amp and any add on

I had used Blaupunkt GT5 series in my Palio that is sold now. I was very much satisfied with their performance.

Thanks
    Vasu
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Vasu: You can use 100W RMS Speakers with HU, only thing is you would be using just 20-30% of its potential with HU. To utilize it full you would need amps that power upto 100W RMS.

No I dont work for Oracle, not sure what made you think that way.

And finally thanks for extra [A] :) I am Viny :D
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks a ton Vijay. I had just checked the box of my GTO 608C's a few minutes back when I was checking the model number for kr_vasudev. I saw 2 ohm written on the box and was :shocked
    Confirmed the same on some forum called Hifivision or something (via Google search)
    I was already planning my next course of action (speaker change??) and saw your post now. ::T

Thanks a lot bro. :)

I have a question:::
  10. Hi All,

I had been looking at various devices that I wanted to install in my car as part of the ICE upgrade. First, it started with simple Compos and Coaxes in front and rear doors respectively but after reading all the upgrades on this forum, I just could not stop myself from going for an amp and a sub. So, finally I decided to go for the following upgrades:

OEM HU
    Compos in the front door
    Coaxials in the rear door
    4-channel amplifier
    10 or 12" sub

To decide which brand to go for was the toughest job which I am still trying to sort. Although I tried to audition couple of speakers and subs in ICE shops, I still think that is not correct since the most important part of the set-up, the HU is always different and a high-end one in these shops wherease the Blau in my car is miles apart. My main requirement was clarity of music as in to be able to listen and appreciate each instrument clearly in the song. I was directed to an installer in Chennai (Power Zone) who according to many was the best in the city and known for his meticulous work and near-perfection set-up. Met him yesterday and he recommended the following package:

Focal 4-channel Amplifier- 13,000/-
    Focal Polyglass Components- 12,500/-
    Focal Coaxials- 7,200/-
    Focal Polyglass 11" Subwoofer- 10,800/-
    Customised Enclosure for Sub- 1,500/-
    Dampening front doors- 2400/-
    Spacer rings, installation charges etc.- 2000/-
    Total- 49400/-

I am not sure about his obsession for Focal brand but assured that this will give me what I am looking for. Now to find a car with exactly the same set-up in Chennai is like finding a needle in a haystack, to satisfy my ears.

One of the TFI members suggested to 'hold my horses' as he feels we can do something for a lesser price also. I am glad to know that and am planning to audition his ICE this week to get an in depth of what should I go for.

What do all you ICE gurus suggest about the above proposed set-up? Any alternatives? As I told, the most important requirement for me is to be able to appreciate the music clearly.

I am not in favour of installing in stages and would prefer all to be installed in one go. The flip side being, if I do not like the set-up, I still will have to live with it.