1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

I Love My Fiat :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ahitdasgupta, Dec 17, 2012.

1. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Welcome to TFI Ahit. Wishing you a lot of happy miles with your ride.
    I would suggest to wait for FIAT to launch Linea with modifications and then buy one :) if you are not in a hurry.
    Also your Palio looks well maintained and should serve you the purpose very well :)
  2. Dear Cannonera, thank you for your warm welcome :) I have already removed that sticker a while ago :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Dear Raj29, Thank you for your good wishes, I am not in a big hurry to buy the Linea immediately, I can wait. Latest update on the Palio is that I have just replaced the tail lamps, she is looking very happy. Now pending are new Headlamps, they are as old as the vehicle. I plan to get them replaced next month.
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Welcome to TFI buddy.
  4. Thank you Amit :)
  5. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Hi Ahit,
    Welcome to TFI. Good to see your love with FIAT since Padmini time. Eagerly waiting for your detailed write-up that you are busy composing these days.
  6. elaramvani

elaramvani Novizio

Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
    Linea 1.4
    Warm welcome to the spectacular world-TFI Mr.Dasgupta!
  7. Welcome to tfi Ahit...share with us your palio's pic as well your experience with it..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Welcome to TFI.

Please consider starting a detailed ownership report along with great pics

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thank you once again for you're warm welcome. Please take a look at my album called Fiat Palio 1.2. It contains 5 images.

I am working on the detailed ownership experience. Need a day more please.
  10. My Experience with a Fiat Palio 1.2:

It was early 2010, around the second week of January; I was looking out for a Second Hand Car for myself as I wanted to retire the 15 year old Esteem and a 20 year old Padmini. Both the vehicles had suffered rust and also needed engine work. The Esteem had run close to two hundred thousand kilometers and the Padmini about a hundred and seventeen thousand kilometers. I had discussed this matter with a close friend of mine who owns a petrol pump near Hinduja Hospital at Mahim, Mumbai. He took it on himself to find me a vehicle. In the meantime, both Esteem and Padmini were sold, about 35 thousand rupees for the Esteem and about ten thousand rupees for the Padmini. Both vehicles were really in a bad physical shape due to rust.

My friend knew a car broker, who brought in the Palio to show me. At first glance she (palio) gave me a tired, unhappy look. She was neglected, she was definitely not been taken out for nearly a year. I knew that this lady has problems, but still I wanted her. I got the feeling that she will be lucky for me and I will get to learn quite a bit about fuel-injected vehicles. This was going to be my first vehicle which would have a MPFI engine and power steering. That was exciting for me, since my Esteem was a carburetor type engine, ofcourse the Padmini, everyone knows about it! So I then took her (Palio) out for a test-drive. I didn’t have too much expectations right from the beginning, since every pre-owned vehicle has their own story, their own aura and have carried forward all past experiences over. Well, during the test drive I felt very comfortable with her, she seemed very tough and stable. She had only 38 odd thousand kilometers on the clock (which I cross-checked with the Records from Shaman Fiat that they were genuine…lucky for me) and had a pretty clean body with no visible rust, but yes, scratches, dirty patches and the look of being neglected. The suspension seemed fine, the drive shafts had no clicking on turns, the engine didn’t sound very happy, but at the same time, there was no feeling of compression loss at all. The front door stoppers were clicking loudly, the fuel gauge was not working, there was a hissing sound coming near the brake pedal which would disappear when the brakes were applied. Nevertheless, I said yes for the vehicle and she became mine.

I took delivery of the vehicle within a day, got the paper work completed and put her into my friend’s petrol pump for a service. Oil, Oil filter, Fuel filter and Air Filter were replaced. The vehicle was washed and cleaned and the engine bay was cleaned by the air jet. After that she just refused to start. After several attempts, she started with engine misfire and shutoff completely. We decided to play safe, we changed the Plugs, Ignition Coils and HT Cables. Still after all this she wouldn’t start. After that the fuel rail was opened up to find that the injectors had cracks and one of them had broken into two pieces. New injectors were called for and installed. And…she started, sounding sweet and happy. Then we inspected the brake pedal for the hissing noise and we found that the brake booster was leaking.

So we replaced that too with the Brake Master Cylinder. After replacement the brakes seemed much, much better and the no more hissing noise. Now it was the turn of the fuel gauge. All the wiring was checked and was fine, ultimately we disassembled the Fuel Pump assembly to find that the Fuel Guage Sending Unit (basically an open potentiometer) was dirty and the moving contact had turned completely black. So we dismantled it and I, very carefully took some sand paper and cleaned the contact. One has to do this very carefully as too much force would damage the contact arm and if it broke, then only replacement would be the option. After cleaning the contact, I reassembled the sending unit and my friend’s mechanic mounted it back on the Fuel Pump assembly and refitted it back into the tank. It Worked :) I was happy and relieved. I had spent on the vehicle and also spent a lot on the spare parts!

I drove her home where she was welcomed with lots of positive feedback from my family. Once fine day, after a month the Palio started to jerk a lot and the engine would stall. By this time my friend was too irritated to help and suggested that I get rid of the car. I too felt that I might have taken advantage of his help quite enough. I gave it a thought and said to myself that at the end of the day, she is MY FIAT and I should be the one to decide what needs to be done. Another very close friend of mine owned a Palio 1.6GTX, whom I called and told him the whole story. He was happy that I got myself a Palio and at the same time concerned about why I was wasting time going to a petrol pump service station to have the car looked into. He gave me the contact details of Shaman Fiat and told me to speak to them about the issues I am facing. I called Shaman and managed to drive the vehicle to their workshop without much trouble. They were polite, and they were prompt. Immediately the vehicle was connected to the Engine Scanner (A touch screen PC running windows XP with FIAT ECUSCAN Software) to find a fault reading from the Crank Position Sensor. That got replaced as well, so did the timing belt pulley as it was making a clicking sound also the brake calipers were serviced and the brake pads/shoes replaced. After this she ran very well for three whole months without any issues whatsoever. Then came time to service the vehicle and decided to take her back to Shaman for the service.

While driving her to Shaman, I noticed that the engine was kind of struggling even though I was on a lower gear and all felt very strange. I reached Shaman and there she died. The car was pushed in by the mechanics and my Service Advisor was looking extremely worried knowing what I have already been through. After 15 minutes or so I saw the mechanic with a long face whispering into my Service Advisor’s ear. The Service Advisor had a very ‘constipated’ expression on his face and told me about the ECU failure. I started laughing, couldn’t help it, just had to and told my Service Advisor to have the ECU replaced immediately. He insisted on getting the ECU repaired, but I was too adamant and wanted it replaced. I had a gut feeling that things would improve after the ECU would get replaced. The Next day the ECU arrived and was installed. I paid the bill and drove her out of the workshop. I couldn’t believe what had happened to her. She had woken up after a long hibernation; she was quick, peppy, sounding smooth and overall feeling great!

Since that day I have enjoyed each and every moment of the Palio, have driven her almost 30 thousand kilometers more than the 38 thousand kilometers what she had already run. She has been to Lonavala twice, Once to Amby Valley and Once to Daman. Mainly it’s City driving only. Over the last 3 years, I have slowly done her up, got her Over-Coated by Shaman, used the Original Fiat Colour Shade, Had the tyres replaced with Michellin Tubeless, upgraded the Audio System from the OEM Cassette Player/Radio to a Pioneer Single CD Player/Radio with MTX Component Speakers, Upgraded the Exhaust System from Smokeage at Worli, Mumbai and added a reverse sensor system with a camera, very useful since the Palio has very large rear pillars. Recently I got the front and rear Wiper Motors and Assembly serviced and the tail-lamps changed. Now pending are the headlamps only.

I guess by the time she completes 75 thousand kilometers, it would be time to look into the Suspension. Now all seems to be well. The sad news is that Shaman no longer supports Fiat. They have taken up VW and Honda (under the brand Arya Honda). They did mention that unofficially they would still service my vehicle but no guarantee on major parts availability. I have managed to find another service center, they seem to be quite competent with Palios and I am planning to go there for the next service.

Friends/Members of Team Fiat India, I thank you for your patience to have read the above. I really love my Palio. She has been my friend, my dear friend and I will try my best to keep her as long as I am able to source parts.

Thank you.

Ahit Dasgupta. Fiat Palio 1.2, Mumbai.
    3 people like this.