1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

I feel like I am in Italy | even after 45000 KM in MaSenuti

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by srida, Sep 10, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    90HP looks excellent in Exotica Red even with those chrome door handles. I used to think that chrome handles won't look good with Red but the pics proved me wrong.

When I bought GP, there was no discount on 90HP and thus I restricted myself to 75HP version. I have now added a 90HP badge on my boot. :p Not sure if I should get the handles done in chrome or not.

Congrats Srida. Enjoy the beauty and take good care of her during the run-in period of initial 2000-4000Km. :)
  2. teky

teky Esperto

My opinion - Keep it as such srida, it'll grow upon you. I find Chrome or Body color better on Exotica Red - I feel Black feels out of place.
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

@srida, great write up! Red carpet welcoming to you bro!
    Even i'll say keep door handles in chrome only it looks great!.
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Srida for the procession of the Mighty Muscular Car, Your you drive, the more you will fall in love with her.
    Enjoy the Drive..
  5. I thought run-in is just for 1000 Kms. Anyways I am gonna take care of her throughout her life time. Do we have any dedicated thread which has information for the Run In Period ?

How I am going through the Run In:

1. I am not taking her beyond 2000 RMP. Also trying not to maintain the same RPM.
    2. Cranking the engine with the clutch fully pressed. [I dont know y am doing this but this was mentioned in the Owners Manual]
    3. After cranking the engine, I idle her for 30 - 60 sec before making a move. I do this while shutting down too but not all the time.

I would appreciate if TFIns could add more points to this list.

1. For the first 2 days the Average consumption didnt go beyond 9.6 KMPL. I was worried a lot. But Now the average is between 12 - 13. Is this normal guys? Yesterday I had a drive for 40 KMs inside the city [road was not crowded] and the Average went upto 15.5 KMPL.
    2. Instant consumption shows nice values only when the rev is above 1400 RPM. Below 1400 RPM the IC goes down.
    3. I feel like the turbo kicks in @ 1500 RPM. Is it only for me or is it my assumption?
    4. Changing the FM stations using the Arrow keys on the steering, needs 2 or 3 pushes. Kinda irritates.
    5. Toggling from Media Player to FM using the SRC button is slow. Though the FM starts, the MID displays 'Paused' for a long time.
    6. Pressing SRC sometimes picks up Media Player. Sometimes it just toggles between the FM, MW and LM. If so then I use the Voice command to get the media player.
    7. Driver side door unlock handle is hard. First pull unlocks all the doors and the second pull opens the door. The second pull is very hard and am afraid I would break it.
    8. A Loud Thud from the Left Rear suspension could be heard on High Bumps or Deep pot holes. This happens only when the rear bench is empty.
    9. Getting the High Beam is a Task. When I want to take the high beam, Most of the time I end up flashing the high beam. It needs a strong pull towards the steering to get the high beam. When I want to Flash, I get the High Beam activated.
    I feel Like I am being Teased He He.

What I like :
    1. The Front fog lamps. Gives a good sufficient spread along with High-beam. Though the distance is not so good. And for the opposite drivers I don't dim but turn off the headlight switch so that only the Fog Lamps are ON. This is bit easier rather than dimming the headlight.
    2. Front Doors pockets. They hold a 1 liter Aquafina water bottle. But a little squeezing is needed.
    3. Speed warning buzzer. helpful in the run in.
    4. Clutch travel. I am liking the deep clutch from the first day. After driving punto, when I press the santro's clutch I find it weird as if there is no clutch.
    5. Steering wheel is nice to hold at the bulged part.
    6. One touch down for all windows. Fiat shud have given one touch up for all windows too. Is this cost cutting or some logic involved.
    7. Brakes ! On a highway when i was taking the car to 100 KMPH, a Dumb biker changed from the left most lane to the divider in front of me. He scared the hell out of me. I slammed the brakes and wow she stopped as if I am braking at 40 KMPH.
    8. 1 st and 2nd gear are not sluggish at all. I can surge ahead from the signals easily and swiftly. Better than my santro and in par with my dads swift vdi.
    9. A Lot more to come.

What I dont like :

1. Turning radius. With my santro I felt parking is easier than driving. But with punto when the time for parking comes, I get nervous. I roam about to find a larger parking space.
    2. Front passenger Seat. My right knee hit the dashboard while the left knee is very comfortable. Not balanced. I dont know how my tall friends gonna make fun of it.

Could Have been better :

1. Interior color combi. Light Grey takes away the premium feel.
    2. Cup holder behind the Handbrakes could have had a larger dia. Can be used as bottle holder. Not many carry cups.
    3. Handbrake bite is not good. I have to pull it high on the ramps.
    4. Nice body colored Mud flaps as seen in swift, ritz, ANHC where the look is not spoiled. The punto mud flaps are very flimsy, shiny and spoils the look.
    5. Larger Dash board. Can store very small things. Blue n me should have taken shelter somewhere else.

OK guys. I will let the chrome handle stay on my baby. Need ur views on smoking the rear lights. I dont want to smoke them completely. Only the borders as like the Punto EVO. Initially I am planning to make the borders black with sticker. And if it looks good then I will smoke. What say guys ?
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Congrats Srida on your Punto 90HP!

Low beams + fog lamps is a good option for city driving, from my driving experience in Bangalore. I put the high beam only when I see an oncoming vehicle that doesnt shift to low beam- out of irritation. Some people understand that, some never do!
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Same thing with me, I always drive on the low beam and turns to HI beam only if the oncoming vehicle does not switch to Low beam, or else i just keeps on flashing at him till he switches to low beam, Some people just drive their cars on Hi Beam at all times, I have positioned the headlight position to "0", so that even the Lo beam falls far.
  8. I am planning to take my style machine 90 hp for a long drive to thiruvanamalai. With just 500 kms on the odo, is it ok to take my baby for speeds upto 100 kmph and rev more than 2k rpm. i dont wanna stress my baby at the same time I would like to feel the real charactristics on highway. What would be the optimum speed and rev count at this stage ? Cud some one please throw some light on it.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Take her out on the Highway and let her feel some fresh Breeze, What say!!!!!!
    But keep the speed below 100 and let not the rev climb 2K rpm, for the first 1000 kms, then after that the grande will be waiting to hear from you to shoot.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    100KMPH and 2.5RPM should be your limit for the first 1000Km.

Punto does 100Kmph@2.5rpm so you can set the speed beep at 90-95kmph I guess.