1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

I am buying....err...earning Punto emotion mjd...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sundar1900, Apr 2, 2012.

1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    After so many hassles and govt budget scare, I booked Punto today but the delivery will take a week due to continuous holiday for banks and RTO this week. As soon as the news spread in late feb that the govt would hike excise duty I worked swiftly to find out the perfect diesel hatch in India. I never considered petrol an option! Since, I have never owned a car before and no experience in driving apart from driving school cars, I had to heavily dependent on friends, colleagues and forums. When I found diverse opinions from my colleagues I understood that all are suggesting what is best for their requirement or situation and never considered what I like want and need. Even when I tried to express my wishes they just ignored or scoffed. So I decided to keep in mind the points I look for in a car and search online if any car matches those points. Remember I did not have any car in mind before, though I was not very keen on Maruti as one of my requirement is the car I own should not be owned by every Tom and Dick.

My requirements were (in the order of priority)...

1) The car's engine should be the best in its category as after all the most important thing in a car is its engine !
    2) Should be European or American as I never heard the Japanese or Koreans or for that matter Indians (regret to say this) invented any machine
    3) The car should have advanced features and it should look like a pilot's cockpit which gives all information and warnings regarding the car
    4) Build quality should be good. Somehow I fancy from my childhood about the Enfield Bullet and its heaviness though I never owned one. A car of mine should be like a 4 wheel version of bullet
    4a) Ride quality and sturdiness- Should be natural for a heavy built car so point its a sub point of 4
    5) Good Look and head turner
    6) Decent mileage

Hardly any car except Punto satisfied more than two points. Finally Punto became unopposed giant in the hatch category for my requirements. I did go through the cons of Punto like bad plastics and A.S.S. But I am clear that I shouldn't buy good plastics for bad engine! Finally a challenge with VFM badge and "similar" built quality car was proposed to me by my collegue. I clarified it through my another thread in this forum. It was very joyous moment to discuss any aspect of Fiat cars in this forum. I am going to be a proud owner of Punto and I am sure TFIans and Fiat will not let me down
    2 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sundar, let me be the first person to Congratulate you on your Punto booking. I liked the phrase "shouldn't buy good plastics for bad engine" :).

BTW, report to Mods to move this thread to Punto 1.3 MJD section.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congratulations! Looking forward to your ownership. :)

Here's one example - Indians invented the missile. The world copied it later. Don't regret being an Indian. The list of innovations+inventions by Indians run loong. :) But that's a different topic for another day!

Cheers.
  4. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Ramjn and Gurji for your support. Sorry for going off the topic regarding Indians. We being Indians should value the technology of a car more than anything. I was touted by many collegues to get Maruti for its resale value and arguments like "same fiat engine in maruti" didn't interest me as I buy car for my driving pleasure and not to do used car business!! regarding "same engine" arguments I would say why should I drink coke from pepsi's bottle???
    1 person likes this.
  5. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    Well Said.. Completely Agree:clap
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Sunder for the Wise decission taken, You will love the drive for sure, the more you drive, the more will you be addicted to FIAT....
    Well said dude by reading your post i feel you have a strong posses for FIAT and got the answers for the Tom, DICK and HARRY........
    Well which colour have you gone for and which variant.
    When is the great day coming....
  7. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai

Guys, thanks for your encouragement...I feel I have become a car expert in a month. Now I have the answers for all these common masses who go blindly behind marutis and hyundais. Nosingle day passes in my office without discussion about cars which will obviously end in harsh arguments. Needless to say I have answer to all my collegues some of who have been owning a car for 10-15 years...yet I feel very confident in my argument-thanks to this forum. They are clueless about my new knowledge about cars especially they cant believe I am still learning to drive.

Well, coming to the point, I have booked Tuscan Wine 1.3 MJD 76 HP emotion, though I preferred HHB. I would have booked the 90 hp variant but for financial crunches. Delivery?? Guys, this monday was bank holiday and long weekend from Thursday onwards owing to this RTO registration caanot happen any earlier than next monday. Crossing my finger I am ardently waiting....BTW what do you this of my colour option?? HHB is not in stock and when I insisted they asked more money due to excise duty hike...I booked just minutes before the budget and they had OB, medium grey and TW options and I had to choose the last one.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Any color is good in Punto. It depends entirely on your choice. My choice is Exotica Red/BNW. If the car is already in their stock yard, do a PDI as soon as possible. Download the PDI checklist from TFI and go to their stockyard for the inspection.
  9. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    It is in the yard. Do you know where VST Chennai yard is?
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Its in Poonamalee. Tell them that you want do PDI. They will make the arrangements.