1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hyper Fiat 1100 - MODestoration of WMJ 333

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by ariesonu, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Once the tin work was done from topside, it was time to check her under side and finish off the welding joints and other mechanical.
    The rear suspension springs still had enough life in them, so we decided to keep them and only change shock absorbers. Gabriel Shock absorber (1200 per). All four SA were changed.
    The front chassis was also changed with better reinforced one.

IMAG0034.jpg IMAG0003.jpg IMAG0014.jpg IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg IMAG0434.jpg IMAG0460.jpg IMAG0207.jpg IMAG0408.jpg IMAG0460.jpg IMAG0431.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

Though I have mentioned that the engine & GB should be removed before beginning the tin-work but in this case we did not remove them as there was space crunch inside garage and also because we were going for complete new engine & setup. Had we removed the engine and the setup, it would have take undue floor space in garage, which is always at premium in Mumbai and at grater risk of some smaller parts getting misplaced or even lost.

Regards-Sonu

NEXT: The new engine bay:
    anoop, ramjn, prabhjot and 7 others like this.
  2. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The engine was worked upon & new head was installed at a workshop at Opera house.
    They had also done job on my first car.

IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg

Here the engine is being made ready with final fitments:
    IMAG0428.jpg IMAG0429.jpg

The engine in its bay:
    IMAG0456.jpg IMAG0458.jpg

The steering column was changed to a better one that is less stressful for driver:
    IMAG0459.jpg

Custom made radiator:
    IMAG0506.jpg

The ac condenser being tested for fitment:
    IMAG0529.jpg

Now was the time to reopen everything except for removing the engine and start finishing the car.

The upholstery was already ordered and a design given to seat maker. The final product is somewhat different from the given design and I planned to go head with it.

Wheels/Tyres: The problem with FIATS, worldwide, is that their PCD is 98 whereas in open market the normal available size is 100 PCD, until unless specially ordered and thence the designs get limited. Also I wanted to upsize the tyres to 15".
    Though it made sense buying alloys from FIAT outlet but the costs and waiting period was prohibitive. And then the luck lady smiled.
    Somewhere in March 2015, I cam across an advt about one month old 15" FIAT PUNTO 90HP alloys and the person was offering them at quite a reasonable price. The good part was that I was getting 5 alloys for the price of 4. The troublesome part was that the seller was in Noida.
    Meanwhile, I was travelling like a mad man hopping around the world and ultimately after lots of followups the alloys arrived in Mumbai in first week of June.

NEXT: New Wheels, Tyres and finishing up the car.

Regards-Sonu
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Good to hear that you got Engine and AC things sorted out. You lucky chap to get Punto OEM alloys at reasonable choice.

I cant hold m breath to see Punto alloys of this Classic. Which tyres you finalized and what will the tyre profile?
  4. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @kedarbendre
    TEASER for you:
    IMAG0747_1.jpg IMAG0817.jpg IMAG0818.jpg

Had to add half-an-inch thick spacers as the tyre was fouling with tie-rod, but again they gave the car a better stance than before.
    She may come home next week.

Regards-Sonu
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Wow that looks great. I am sure car will have very nice stance now.

I think we will get a chance to see this beauty in upcoming TFI Pune Mumbai Monsoon meet.
  6. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Till today i was silently following the Thread and quite amazed to see a fiat is taking shape to its old Glory. Eagerly waiting for more pics and review. Kudos
  7. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @kedarbendre : would be glad to be part of MEET whenever its finalized.
    Wanted to go for 185 but as aforementioned, even 175 was fouling with tie-rod and thus had to settle for it with spacers.
    I chose Goodyear because my monthly run will not exceed 250 kms and to be true I am on fag end of my budget for this resto.

@Murphy_Fiat: Appreciation, Suggestion, Critical comments keep people like me motivated, so please keep them coming.

Regards-Sonu
  8. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello Sonu.
    That's a neat project you have going. Thumbs up to you! :)

Why didn't you opt for the Palio alloys? Iirc, they are 14 inchers and accommodate a slightly narrow section tyres. Also, they aren't as umm.. well known, as the Punto wheels. That would've given you a neutral stance and would've suited the retro appeal of the Millecento.
    Just my two cents to the Mille'cent'o. ;)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 25, 2015 ---
    These, to be precise...
    (A fellow member 'accidentally' bought these. PC to him;) )
    IMG-20150625-WA0050.jpg
    IMG-20150625-WA0042.jpg
    IMO, these retro styled alloys would suit your project better.
    I'm just offering another perspective. But ultimately, its your opinion that matters. :)
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    kedarbendre likes this.
  9. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @sine04: Highly appreciate your opinion and do agree that these alloys look yum too
    I never thought or I must confess that I did not knew about Palio alloys and as I mentioned that Punto alloys literally fell into my lap.
    I had seen a FIAT with PLATI alloys that looked great, but when I checked on that design & price-per-mag, its was twice the cost I paid for this car itself. The alloys I got are the closest match to that PLATI design at one-fourth the cost and the best part is getting the center logo of FIAT. Another matter was that I was looking for gunmental color on alloys.
    The tyre upsizing was done to have better cushioning, ride quality & especially to fill the wheel well evenly. However, we have not done road-trails yet but bigger tyres will definitely have effect on manual steering.

I already own a RESTORED-TO-ORIGINAL-GLORY Millecento hence I wanted this one to be different.

Do keep your opinions pouring in because as the saying goes, two heads are always better than one.:happy: (except when you get married:joyful:)

Regards-Sonu
  10. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    I know about your Brownie, sir. I've read that thread many times over. :)
    And a mutual friend did tell me about your intentions of doing a 'different' project. I guided him to this thread. :)