1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hyper Fiat 1100 - MODestoration of WMJ 333

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by ariesonu, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The custom built pieces were fitted in like LEGO but the real challenge lay in hand-beaten tin work and slowly & steadily she started coming into her own.
    We used 18 & 16 gauge sheets, as per the requirement of area being touched upon.

The LEGO pieces:
    W-I-P13.jpg W-I-P4.jpg
    W-I-P11.jpg View attachment 80376
    WP_20141231_13_38_41_Pro.jpg

The hand made pieces:
    W-I-P3.jpg WP_20141218_13_21_46_Pro.jpg WP_20141226_13_20_24_Pro.jpg WP_20141231_13_36_04_Pro.jpg WP_20150108_13_26_17_Pro.jpg

The ugly holes for tail lights were closed once we were done with wheel wells inside & outside.
    WP_20150114_14_04_20_Pro.jpg WP_20150114_14_04_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20150114_14_04_05_Pro.jpg

Minor but most time and patience consuming job:
    WP_20150114_14_04_30_Pro.jpg WP_20150114_14_04_37_Pro.jpg WP_20150108_13_26_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150114_14_03_50_Pro.jpg

Under boot area:
    WP_20150108_13_26_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150108_13_27_14_Pro.jpg
    In short the car received new metal below belt level and this required rear suspension to be worked upon, otherwise we were unable to see how the car would stand independently.

The work slowed and delayed for reasons that were beyond our control and the work almost stood still for March & April. However for me this worked out as blessing in disguise and I was able to collect funds that were depleting fast. Till 31st March 2015, we had pumped in 3.15L (including purchase and transportation cost).

NEXT: Engine bay & the works.

Regards-Sonu
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    anoop, ramjn, varoon9999 and 6 others like this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Wows thats some serious stuff buddy and I am sure the situation will be under control.

What suspension and engine you are putting in this car. Are you planning to do engine swap as well? Which engine will be plonked incase of engine swap.
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ariesonu, you are Seriously doing awesome job which many of us just dream about, however may I offer you just 1 suggestion, hope you don't mind, could you please remove the Steering Wheel, it is a Maruti 1000/ Esteem once.
    You should get the original Fiat Steering wheel from gujari or the Second Hand sale market, frankly speaking the car with this Steering wheel is a little odd sight and does not belong here.
    Again I am sorry if I have said something which you didn't like to hear :stop:
  4. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Fabulous my friend!! As I went through this thread it reminded me of one of my uncle doing the same. He had this 60's Ambassador. He had so much respect and craze for the car that he underwent the same procedure to bring her back to normal life. After everything got over phew!! She was damn awesome to look. He gave her a royal blue paint which indeed looked royal. We used to have intense convo over the same. He said he spent nearly 6 laks to restore it back!! Ultimately after seeing her in action he was all emotional. Such was the emotional feel he had with the car. Anyways kudos to you buddy..;)

Just a suggestion from my end too. As @Anup rightly said the steering wheel is indeed odd. Kindly swap it with the Fiat wheel. :)
  5. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @kedarbendre : The engine is S1 & so is the suspension. We will be adding custom made composite carbon single leaf suspension at back. The shock absorbers are GABRIEL.

@Anup @kishorekrs : I have the original steering wheel but it is the thin one. I want the fatter one that came in later models of PP. This esteem steering came with car & we have kept it for garage use only. Once we finalize, we will put original steering.
    Anup, prabhjot, kishorekrs and 3 others like this.
  6. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    My basic wishlist for this car was powerful engine and AC.

The old engine:
    IMAG0376.jpg IMAG0393.jpg IMAG0513.jpg IMAG0501.jpg

I wanted to experiment with MG413W engine of GYPSY but it required major alternations in engine bay. Still I kept on pursuing that dream. What could be better than having an MPFI engine under the hood. But after checking every garage and basically my trusted 70 year old mechanic (who takes care of my other cars and who was trained on Fiats in his young days), I realized I was pursuing a foolish dream. The engines were available but no guarantee on their AS-IS-WHERE-IS condition. Another problem was ECU & MPFI wiring harness.

I spoke, called, texted, WhatsApp'd each and every Fiatian that I knew and every guy pointed to S1 engine being my best bet. Thence started the hunt for S1 engine.
    The hunt began from CST-Road in Kurla to Chor Bazaar, Bangalore markets and some Delhi shops too. Some gave ridiculous prices while others came up with screwed up engines. Around mid-April we found a guy in Pune who promised to get us a clean engine + gb + complete brake's setup + rear differential, in short everything that ran the car.
    Come end-April, everything arrived and we started opening up the new arrivals. On opening up the engine we found that the head required replacement (additional expenses) but then we decided that in case we are plonking new head, why not go for over-sized pistons to get few more extra punches.

So I went shopping:
    IMAG0127.jpg IMAG0128.jpg IMAG0130.jpg IMAG0134.jpg IMAG0132.jpg IMAG0135.jpg IMAG0136.jpg IMAG0138.jpg IMAG0140.jpg IMAG0141.jpg IMAG0146.jpg IMAG0147.jpg IMAG0290.jpg IMAG0292.jpg

NEXT: Underbody, Suspension, Chassis & works.
    The Fitment of engine is still far away.

Regards-Sonu

IMAG0289.jpg
    anoop, ramjn, GirishRaghu and 7 others like this.
  7. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Wow man... that's a terrific restore. Which garage you getting the work done?
  8. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @kk27: The garage is at Reay Raod, opposite Atlas Mill Compound.
    The PIC is Aslam and he has rented the place from family whose owns the property and their signboard reads as MOHINDER SINGH'S GARAGE. Its 5 minutes southwards walk from Reay Road station.
  9. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    keepthe report coming in..waiting eagerly for the full restoration!
  10. ariesonu

ariesonu Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    For the members who ever wish to undertake similar restoration, some off-the-hand guidelines:
    #) Buy a project car that you definitely wish to finish and be proud to own.
    #) The restoration cost of car can be more than its market value, so remember that you are doing it for your passion and not for your purse. However it may command value, some years down the line.
    #) As you go along the garages may throw surprises, so its better to have a quotation in place. Take quotation that should cover: TIN-WORK, PAINTWORK, MECHANICAL, ENGINE WORK & FITTING, DOOR ALIGNMENT, UPHOLSTERY, ELECTRICAL (SHOULD NOT INCLUDE AC), SUSPENSION, ETC (ADD ABOUT 15% OF FIGURE GIVEN TO YOU).
    #) Depending on type of car but for most restorations, get your engine and GB removed before starting the tin-work.
    #) Get your mechanical's worked out even before you strip the car. This is where the actual hidden costs lie. No one wants a "DISPLAY" piece.
    #) Remove all the HARD-TO-FIND parts that came with your car and photo-record each & every piece. Box them and if possible, take them home. Meanwhile you can get them worked, chromed, electroplated etc. - Front grill, Monograms, bonnet & trunk embellishments, dashboard items, horn rings, door handles (inside and outside), body strips, wheel caps, lights, etc fall into this category.
    #) Cars on CHASSIS/FRAME require the body tub to be removed and worked upon separately. CHASSIS/FRAME is usually easier to work upon.
    #) Visit the garage regularly but randomly.
    #) Start sourcing original tyres and, if not available, the possible best closest match that can be found.
    #) Don't waste money on cosmetics at restoration stage. Once the car is running and back home, you can do whatever additions you wish to do. I have taken car home without fitting new tyres, bulbs, headlights or even carpets.

The above is not a complete checklist but as aforementioned off-the-hand and from my experience. Please feel free to add....

Regards-Sonu
    kk27, ramjn, Sujit508 and 2 others like this.