1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hydrolock on New Punto - 1.5 lakh engine expense

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sanjay Shankar, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Sanjay Shankar

Sanjay Shankar Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ALL : Thanks a lot for providing so much of Insight..

This is the update provided to me by RDC Fiat as of yesterday

Engine has been completely dismantled. And concrete information on what all needs to be replaced and have come to light. 4 Pistons have shown structural issues and has been bent due to the water entering into Engine's Compartment.

To exactly mention, the 2nd piston's bent is visible and the other 3 pistons have been advised to also be replaced on a SAFE SIDE.
    The Piston is made of Cast Iron and it gets bent because of water ingression. This is what is puzzling.

Crankshaft, Gearbox and Clutch are perfectly fine.

All Connect rods and Bearing Set has to be replaced. Insurance will again come back to RDC and check out physically the condition of the items dismantled and verify if it actually needs to be replaced. After that, they will mention what are the items that are claimable under insurance and let us know the final quotation. The cost of what RDC mentioned just for the engine related components that might/might not be claimable by insurance is around Rs.54000/-.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and punto_emotion like this.
  2. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @Sanjay Shankar
    As it is almost one month old hope that your car is fine.
    If possible can you please share the final outcome how much you got claimed from insurance and also how much you paid.
    Dilip patel likes this.
  3. Sanjay Shankar

Sanjay Shankar Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Took one month.

Total Estimate given by RDC was 1.54L. 54k for Engine Components(Pistons, Gaskets etc.,) and 1L for Electronics(PCM,ECU etc.,) to be changed. Insurance mentioned they ll pay for the 1L Electronics if RDC mentions it needs to be changed. Smartly RDC mentioned none of the electronics needs to be replaced. Hence I had just paid 54k and got the car out.
    RDC knew to take best advantage of the customer at desperate situations and so did Future General with their Exclusions over the insurance. Basically repair was done in 2-3 days. But insurance made it for a month.

The vehicle is running well as expected. As long as it runs fine its okay. But in case of a repair; fiat will burn your pocket.
    Ganges, prabhjot, C_S and 3 others like this.
  4. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Good to know car is running fine. Please take care henceforth to avoid hydrolock issue.
    Happy driving!
    prabhjot and vista7155 like this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Any car from any manufacturer will burn a hole in pocket when mishaps happen. I have used a Punto for 5 years with just normal maintenance, sold it two weeks ago, and picked up a Punto EVO a week ago. I wouldn't have done it if my experience with the car was not good. Such blanket statements will unnecessarily instill fear of the product in folks and best avoided:)

Abdul
  6. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Pune
    Rightly said. The problem was not the car in this case in terms of manufacturing defects. As said by another TFIn here, the title of the thread also is misleading.

I have a 4 year old Punto 1.2. Never faced any major issues at all. And my next car would definitely be a FIAT, no doubt about it.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  7. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Firstly very sorry to hear about the incident and the hardships faced by you.
    Coming to your quote, does RDC get any profit or incentive from the insurance company by stating that none of the electronic parts require replacement? NO!
    They are just being fair and reasonable with you as well as the insurer.

Secondly, if you go deeper into the insurance policy wordings, you will find none of the insurance companies(sparing a Few who have started offering add on covers known as engine protector by charging extra premium)cover damages occurred to engine due to hydrostatic lock. The moment you crank the engine after it stops due to water entry, gone is the possibility of getting it claimed under insurance.

So blaming the insurance guys without any valid reason seems completely unjust.

FIAT on the other hand, gives you a replacement starter motor! This case would put bigger brands with higher customer satisfaction index to shame.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. Sanjay Shankar

Sanjay Shankar Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Firstly, when i bought the car with RDC the only option provided by the dealer over the insurance was Future Generali. I wanted a Govt based insurance but they were not prepared to reduce the insurance cost in the bill if i say i dint want it. so @mahesh.bandel there is only the incentive and profit motive for this. When a dealer forces for just one insurance i think it would be of good will if these folks negotiate with what best the insurance and service could do to reduce the customer's burden instead of mentioning electronics can be claimed even though they never needed a replacement. Eye Washes..

Secondly insurance mentioned two reasons for the claim to not cover engine parts.. one was because of me starting and the other was when RDC folks tried to push and start the car. But I had to pay for their mistake as well.
    Now what do u do if an insurance guy finger points the service centre as well?? The service centre just washes its hands mentioning insurance doesnt understand what we did..

No spare start motor was provided!! I do not wanna talk about high service index companies.. i dont see fiat in the context anywhere..

As long as the vehicle runs fine, its fine. Even for valid claims if any I am sure the insurance forced to me would just take a ride...
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Alright so it is time to close the thread I guess or at-least update the title appropriately. Request Mods to do as deemed fit. The title indeed as mentioned before can be misleading (although true at the time and not intentional by the thread opener), still needs updates to latest billed amount for HYDROLOCK issue.

The title could be updated to Hydrolocked New Punto, Quoted 1.5 lakh, Spent 54 thousand.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sachinls3 likes this.