1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hydrolock on New Punto - 1.5 lakh engine expense

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sanjay Shankar, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Sanjay Shankar

Sanjay Shankar Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    On October 18th around 7.30am; I was travelling from Bangaru Ammal Kovil Street(Mylapore) to Chengalpet. When i was about to enter Thiru Vi Ka High Road through P S Sivaswamy Salai, the road had water just below the car door level. When I was about to make the right turn to join Thiru Vi Ka Road, the car seem to stop while in running.

I was in 1st gear with almost red line rev but I was not able to go fast as there was a car and a PTC bus right in front of me.

I had come out of the car and told my wife to take the wheel. When i opened the door, water did not enter the car cabin. I and a passer by pushed the car to Thiru Vi Ka Road till I reached Sanskrit College where water was not stagnant; then I attempted to start the car. I saw smoke coming from the bonnet and the yellow light was on. I called up RDC Mechanics who diagnosed Water had entered into the silencer and the Start Motor was not working.

The RDC Technicians tried to push start the car from Sanskrit College to Mundakani Amman Kovil Railway Station after which it was decided to take the car to RDC using a Tow Vehicle

On 29th RDC Technician Santharaj sent me the copy of the Quote that was submitted to Future General Insurance. The Vehicle is covered by a Bumper to Bumper Insurance

The repair cost is mentioned 151250. Refer the snapshot of this.

Fiat has mentioned, Rain water is not covered in Warranty.

Till now Fiat has replaced my Start Motor that is not working and has tried to turn on the engine using a difference Start Motor. It failed to start. RDC Fiat now negotiating with Future General who mentioned today 30.10.2014 that they will cover only the Air Filter Replacement that will cost Rs 1000 ODD. As this is unacceptable, RDC Fiat is in process of negotiating this with Future General.

Initial Quote.png
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Looking at the details that you shared, it is surely a case of water entering inside the silencer. I have my sympathy with you but no car manufacturer can provide warranty on such mis-happenings. One needs to be very cautious when entering water which is above the silencer level as silencers sucks water once you release the throttle. We can give you hundreds of suggestions on what you should have done and what could have done to prevent water entering the silencer but i assume at this point the option is to find a solution and later talk on the other issues.

Note: Never start the car in future if it has stopped inside the water.

Coming to this FIAT, like all other manufacturers has no role to play in this issue. It is purely a case of Insurance and you need to get the things working between the dealaer, insurance surveyor and yourself. I agree that the dent on owner's pocket is huge in such cases but please take this as a learning experience. This could have happened with any car.

Wish you best of luck for the good repair work in your car. Punto is an amazing car to drive and I myself have crossed few water roads in Hyderabad in the past but with extreme caution and not leaving the throttle for even a millisecond and little less than half clutch usage.
    Bala, fiatlover, limraj and 10 others like this.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sanjay Shankar : I have moved your thread to the technical section from the Introduce Yourself section. Please go through the forum sections carefully before starting a thread. The Introduce Yourself section is for giving your own (personal) introduction to the forum and not for introducing the issues of your car.

Now coming to the problem: it is indeed true that damage due to rain water entering the engine (or any other system) is not covered in the warranty given by the manufacturer.

Your only hope is negotiating with the Insurance underwriter (in your case Future Generali). Having a zero dep policy is not of any solace. Go through the policy wording in detail and check the fine print about what damages are covered.
    Dilip patel and mchanna like this.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Sanjay very unfortunate that this happened to be your first post.

As Shashank and Amogh rightly said, negotiate with insurer and see if you can convince them.

Even you can send a note to fiat asking for some discounts they might honor your request. But don't feel bad if they don't :)

Sorry to say but sometimes we have to pay for the ignorance.
    Dilip patel and shashanknathani like this.
  5. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

hi Sanjay,
    Very unfortunate that this happened to your new car.
    As i read in team-bhp where the same issue happened to couple of Honda Amaze.Got insurance covered for the repair up-to 75%.
    But as i remember the car owner told that insurance is claimed because once car was stopped in-between the water he didn't start the car so the insurance company treated as accident case and agreed for the claim.
    As you have attempted the car start it may void insurance claim, any how try to negotiate with Insurance comp and Fiat they may give you some goodwill discount for the repair.
    Best of luck.
    mahesh.bandel likes this.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Sorry to hear about your plight.

As Amogh said some insurance policies cover hydro locking as well, some companies don't cover them even though they call it B2B insurance. This is to keep the premium down, so we will need to read through the add-on and what's covered to understand the real costs.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

Dear Sanjay,

I also had similar hydro lock in our maruti omni,

I also tried to start it a lot of times,

Water entered into the cylinders and engine gave up to start.

When we got it repaired the local mechanic simply opened the head,

And wiped off all the water from the cylinder and head,

Left it open for a couple of hour to let it completely dry,

Re-assembled the head and car was good to go.

I don't know if the case would be same with punto or not.

Though I also am facing starting issues cause some 6 months back,

My punto also went through a lot of water though I kept the RPMs high.

Now I can only advice you to get it sorted with dealer and insurance.

And if you wish you always has an option to go to the court.
  8. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Starting a vehicle which has stopped in standing water is a big no as starting the vehicle may push the water even more into the engine, damaging it more.

As others have suggested, talk to the insurance, dealer & FIAT.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

It has got nothing to do with either the car (Punto) or the age of the car (3 months) as the thread title suggests.

This can happen to any car, and what you experienced is a hydrolock. I seriously cannot undestand why RDC or you tried push starting/starting the car. This would have caused more internal engine damage.

We need to be very very careful when negotiating stagnated water. You should keep a steady momentum, which was not possible in your case I believe. Hope insurance covers up majority of the cost and car is back to normal soon.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3