1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hyderabad -> Bangalore -> Kannur (kerala)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Preveeth, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Preveeth

Preveeth

Hyderabad
    Hello

I am planning to take a road trip from Hyderabad to Kannur (Kerala) through Bangalore. Plan to take a days break in B'lore before heading to Kannur. I plan to do this trip end of this month (Mar'11). Early April I need to get back to HYD in the same route.

I drive a Punto Emotion (1.2 Petrol)....relatively new (first service done)....Any advice on the following is much appreciated:
    -> Accessories to carry
    -> Required Car health checks to be done before and during travel
    -> Safety and comfort tips considering that this is my first city-to-city road trip in a car (driving by myself:)).
    -> recommendations and gotchas on the route to take

Thanks,
    Preveeth
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Shortest route: Bangalore > Sreerangapatna> Yelvala > Hunsur > Virajpet > Makutta (ghat section)> Iritty > Kannur (Around 320 kms)

3. Route for Hyd to B'lore -- Hyd -- Shamshabad -- ShadNagar -- Kurnool -- Gooty -- Anantpur -- Penukonda -- Bagepalli -- Chikballapur -- Devanhally (B'lore). Route is excellent all through out and the journey can be comfortably done in around 8 hours with a light foot. Food is available between Hyd -- Kurnool and Kurnool -- Gooty on the highway. Major Cities -- Kurnool / Anantpur where you have decent accomodation. There are a total of 7 Toll gates and should set you back by about 360 odd rupees one way. Fuel Stations are not a problem as well.

You can carry some good music and please get some real good sleep before you embark on the journey. Since this is your first drive, don't get into road rage with Road M**** on the highways and watch out for oncoming traffic on your lane.
  4. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Planning to return from Kozhikode tomorrow morning and looks like Wayanad will be shut down due to a Bandh. Thinking of taking this route - Kozhikode - Thalassery - Koothuparamba - Mattanur - Iritty - Gonikappala- Hunsur- Srirangapattana ...... bangalore.... Can anyone tell how the roads are in this route?
  5. sands

sands Timido

Bangalore
    Sorry, saw this thread late. Guess you would have already completed the trip, anyways my inputs: Kozhikode-Thalassery-Kuthuparamba-Iritty-Virajpet: Excellent roads all the way, except for a couple of KM before the perumpadi checkpost, near Virajpet.
    Virajpet-Gonikoppal: very rough with potholes
    Gonikoppal-thithimathi-Anechowkoor : excellent newly laid roads
    Anechowkoor - Hunsur: Absolutely Terrible roads till a month ago, but reports says that it has been levelled now and is drivable, albeit only in 2 or 3rd gears.
    Hunsur-Bangalore is in very good condition.
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

Sands, thank you for the reply.

I eventually ended up taking the Kozhikode - Nilambur - Gudaloor - Gundlupet route. It was a very good drive. Roads are patchy for around 2 kms in the Naadukaani Ghat section other than that it is a very pleasant drive.

A friend who took the Virajpet route said it was the worst ever drive for him.

I am happy that i took the Nilambur route!
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    By mistake, he took the Makkutta ->Virajpet-> Gonikkoppal road that touches virajpet town. It would be more apt to say that Google maps misguided him.
    I had given him directions to take the route that goes straight to Gonikkoppal without touching virajpet. He says that the in-progress section between Anechowkoor and Hunsur is in very bad shape again. :( It was in better shape when I went last month.
    1 person likes this.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

Google maps turns to its deceptive best at times. Once it took me twice around a village in Thrissur early in the morning while traveling from Bangalore to Kochi. I was trying to avoid some bad patch of roads and G Maps totally went awry!

Btw, i was surprised to see the roads in good condition in the Nilambur route. The ghat section is also not very taxing in terms of its steepness!! (Even better than Wayanad :eek:)
    1 person likes this.