1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Humming Noise from the wheels..

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by ankit_khare, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ankit_khare

ankit_khare Timido

Chandigarh
    Hi folks
    Started noticing strange humming noise from the wheels of my 9k run Punto Active MJD(2012). The noise is similar to that of driving over a freshly laid road with occasionally feeling spikes as if i have driven over some debris(maybe actually from the road imperfections only).
    it starts at 10-20 KMPH itself but have not found it increasing and seems to minimizes when crossing 100-110 KMPH.
    Brakes pedal feels slightly pulsating when pressed very lightly at high speeds(80+). and in slow speeds if braking gradually, car seems to feel a little jerky whiel stopping.
    Slight difference in the noise on taking turns(either sides).
    It's not engine noise, that i have tested
    Also feel slight wobble at certian speeds(60-70 kmph).
    tyre noise was present earlier too but it was like the tyre roll noise JK Tornados have.

Not sure if the tyres are problematic , wheel bearings or the brakes.

Didnt bump into any pothholes, no crashes as such but yes , i need to drive about 1-1.5km in a extremely dusty road(construction work all around) daily.
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It's normal Ankit....
    Have you feel any side car pulling towards? like left or right on the plain surface road?
    If yes then get wheel alignment done.

In cemented road you will always hear some humming noise.

Also check tire pressure too.....

BTW welcome to TFI...... :)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. ankit_khare

ankit_khare Timido

Chandigarh

Thanks for your reponse Rishike007 but this noise has started to come only recently, maybe just a week back.
    There seem to be something wrong as i commute through the same roads daily to office and since a week or so the issue started to show up. :(
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Since the noise is not present at higher speed it may not be with bearing. The two symptoms brake pedal pulsation and noise at turn looks like the problem is with brake pads or disc. First of all observe the problem in different road conditions and make sure that it exist irrespective of road conditions. Then make sure of the vibration while applying braking. Check it on open road at and make sure that whether it is prominent or not. If prominent I advise to report it to TASS. Disc thickness variation can cause vibration while applying brakes. One reason may be frequent hard braking at very beginning of the usage of new pad.

Also it possible that some dirt might have entered in to the brakes. Possible since you mentioned that you are travelling daily through a construction zone.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. ankit_khare

ankit_khare Timido

Chandigarh
    Thanks for your response. Just dropped my vehicle at TASS after an inital check by the SA . He is suspecting wheel bearings only.Will post a response as soon as the issue is fixed.
  6. ankit_khare

ankit_khare Timido

Chandigarh
    issue resolved. Problem: No exact root cause. wheel bearings are fine. Brake pads cleaned(had lot of dust),oiled/greased the suspension system,some loose nut-bolts tightened,extensive underbody wash. The noise is now back to the normal JK Tornado tyre roll noise. :), braking improved, no jerks now even at high speeds.
    Didn't get wheel balancing done as the the SA suggest to get it done in 2nd service only but i would go for it once i am back from my road trip next week.

Mods please close the thread.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Happy to hear that problem is resolved. So it looks like the problem was dirt and might have vanished when they cleaned.
  8. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Iam too facing a similar problm,,, a wobbling noise and a similar feel of rough road tho roads r damn good. This all started after i swapped my tyres from front to back n vice versa....did a tyre balancing n still didnt improve. yes, but during the removal and installation of wheel, it was too hard to be dismounted from disk due carbon powder and dust. planning to take to Srvc cntr...hope the bearings are ok....fingers crossd....
  9. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    got it checked, prob was with tyre assy, even aftr balance the noise persisted,,, so best option left was to put back my wheels to its original position, now its fine...
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Hi guys,
    I am hearing this continuous 'whoom' noise from my Punto (front tyres) since last 2 weeks. My car has run 7k km so far on the stock Apollo Acceleres.
    Whenever the car decelerates from speeds of 40 to zero, there is whooomm/humming noise which starts coming from the front. That sound is a smaller version of how truck tyres make noise when your hear them standing at a distance from the highway.
    This sound occurs even if I am decelerating in any gear or even in neutral (coasting).

I showed it to Pandit Auto new service centre at Bavdhan and the supervisor told me after trial,
    1. It can't be wheel bearings. they checked for wheel bearing noise by mounting car on ramp and rotating the tyres with hand. It was not there.
    2. It can't be bearings of the tranmission/gear box because the sound comes even when I am in neutral.
    3. In his opinion, this is typical Apollo Acceleres noise and since these are rally tyres it is a peculiar sound of the tread pattern.

The analysis is still in progress, they would remove the tyres and put some other tyres (JK/GT) and see if it persists.

If after changing the tyres the noise disappears then do I stand a chance to get those tyres changed under warranty by Apollo/Fiat. The SA told me, they can call for an Apollo supervisor to check for it and can decide further.
    But if the noise persists then what is that I should be looking at? Brakes?

Note: car doesnot wobble at any speeds, braking doesnot initiate any steering vibrations and alignment is good. I also drive an i20 with Acceleres (185/60/R14) and it has not given any such noises so far at 35K kms.
    Please suggest.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013