1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Huge Engine noise within the cabin

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Guru_mprasad, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    Hi Friends,

I can feel that the engine is not smooth and I can hear a great level of engine noise inside the cabin and it seems that I am driving a tractor or may be an auto rickshaw. The noise goes down when I roll down the windows. But from outside I cannot hear the noise level going beyond the irritating level, it seems to be a smooth engine. I have already changed the timing chain and also tried cleaning the EGR recently which has increased the cars pick up level. The weather strip in the right driver side door has been damaged, but I don't sense the noise coming from the door but from the front. This becomes more irritated when I am driving at nights.

The other problem which may be correlative is that the short gear shifting in first gear and it shudders like a lorry if I don't change it from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th within short duration and that too it is too bad in the first gear and in a traffic only I can drive my car, no one else. I can see them literally struggle with my car during stop and go traffic. Please advice.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 28, 2015 ---
    BTW. I Drive Linea MJD which has crossed 90K and have always been serviced in FASS.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    prihir likes this.
  2. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Guru,

please get the underbody checked at FASS.

A Bend or ruptured engine shield can give engine noise inside the cabin.
  3. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    @bibin. Thanks for that reply. Definitely will take it, but it doesn't sound to me a problem with the plate touching the engine. I usually inspect the vehicle regularly at home. Adding to all these I took my car to hills this weekend and was trying very hard to climb uphill and it was moving very slow in steeps that I had to only move in 1st gear, but the car reacts better in plains.
    Robin likes this.
  4. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    Anyone else with the same problem?
  5. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How old is your car? You may need need to inspect the state of the damping material(like rugged carpet) behind the engine which stops the noise from entering into cabin.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    One more guess: Depending on the age of your car - engine supports may have worn out. Engine supports dampen lot of vibrations and noises originating in the engine. Even more important for diesel (compared to petrol). Get the engine supports checked and replace if needed.
  7. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you please mentioned what is engine support, i am not clear on this.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    engine-support.png

I am referring to part No. 1 in the attached picture. If the rubber ring supporting the engine hardens or wears out it can transfer lot of engine vibration to the car body. According to Fiat parts catalog it is called as "Power Plant Suspension". I tried to avoid that phrase because Fiat's spare parts catalog has strange names for some parts. For example bonnet is called as "Engine Compartment Lid". Technically correct. But too much technical phrase! Looks like a verbatim translation from Italian to English leads to some strange phrases!
    Ganges and pdash like this.
  9. rajivc666

rajivc666 Timido

Kochi
    If your car is the 2009 model then it is noisier than the later versions.
  10. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is there a solution to this??