1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to use TRIP COMPUTER?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by AmeyKhedekar, Jun 17, 2014.

1. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Dear Fiatians,
    its almost a month i got my Linea home, but i am still unaware of how to use the TRIP COMPUTER to check the distance travelled and fuel consumption.

i was consulted by two sales men before taking up the delivery of my car.

at test drive, the 1st sales guy on insistance told me , the trip computer works by.
    1. press MENU/ESC
    2. PRESS + button and navigate fuel consumption, distance.

but 1st sales guy left his job, and 2nd consulted me by saying,
    1. press the TRIP BUTTON, on the right hand side stalk,
    2. keep pressing the the TRIP BUTTON and check the fuel and distance.

however i try both the methods told by both sales guys and my Linea FIRE Petrol always shows fuel consumption 7.2kmpl irrespective of distance travelled.

my question is:
    Q1. which is the correct method to use TRIP COMPUTER?
    Q2. HOW to check distance travelled
    Q3 How to check fuel consumption?

my car has digital display same as PUNTO, and not multifunction display.
    thanks and regards.
  2. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats for the new car. They would have given you a booklet along with the car. Owner's manual or something. All you wanna know, is in there.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  4. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Thank you, sanfiat and asimpleson.

i already had read my owners manual twice for the trip computer.
    but everytime i use TRIP COMPUTER the mileage is always the same. 7.2kmpl.
    and distance is just shown by 4 broken lines like this : [ _ _ _ _ ] , and no numerical distance indicator.
    as reading the manual, mu numb brain doesn't understand. :confused: :confused1
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    If MID is able to calculate avg, then it should pick distance too. If you are sure that how much you drive its not changing, then please refer FASS
    or
    There is a meet coming in Mumbai, join it and clear your doubts :)
  6. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The Trip Computer is very simple to use.
    There are two Trip Computer available Trip A and Trip B ( Trip B need to be enabled in the Setting, which is On by default )
    I usually use Trip A for Fuel Top Up Range ( i.e. reset Trip A every Refuel)
    And I use Trip B for calculating my road trip data ( like a road trip to any destination and back. i.e. Reset Trip B before every planned trip )

Now, here is how it works.
    Using the right stalk Button, one can cycle between various Trip Information for both Trip A and Trip B. After all Trip A Information it cycles to Trip B information.
    It goes in a cycle between the information of Trip A and Trip B.
    To reset any Trip A or Trip B. Press the Trip Button to show information of any of the required Trip ( A or B ) then PRESS and HOLD the Trip Button for a couple of seconds. The MID should display Trip Reset. The Reset happens only for the Trip (A/B) you have had the information displayed on the MID. Other Trip Computer Data is Safe and not effected.

Trip A and B shows same Data/Information except an additional Data which only Trip A shows and that is Instantaneous Fuel Consumption.
    AmeyKhedekar and mchanna like this.
  7. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Thank you very much bro @Spam for your help.
  8. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    I have digital display in my linea classic same in of punto, means I only have trip A calculator, sometimes my fuel consumption display shows same kmpl consumed even for three days in a row irrespective of distance covered. I was wondering if I am using my trip calculator when the car was new.
    But sometimes, today's also trip calculator display shows same kmpl for example 8.2kmpl when I know it cannot be because of difference in peak hour traffic and open roads.
    I need to reset the trip button by long press the trip button on the RHS stalk. And the trip meter is reset along with the total hours driven. And the trip reading of kmpl shows display according.
    Does it happen with you guys, like you need to reset the trip meter everyday or fuel consumption display shows readings accordingly??
  9. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The kmpl display actually shows an average of the fuel consumption. So if you do a long distance (say 1000 kms at a stretch) and you get 18 kmpl, it will still show 18kmpl for the next few days in city driving also, and slowly will start going down with continued city usage.

If you really want to get the most accurate number, do a tank-full to tank-full calculation.

Also, kmpl will depend on your driving style. Use the instant consumption indicator to judge this for yourself.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  10. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Resetting the Trip Computer will reflect the Average Consumtion of the latest Driving style. Keeping a trip computer running for more than 1000+ km will have very negligible effect with the current style of driving unless you can maintain same driving style for another 200+km to see some effect.

Using both the Trip Computer will help get the long term and short term Fuel Consumption.

I keep Trip A for long term Between Refuel and the Trip B for all my Trips. So trip B gets reset more often than trip A.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.