1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to remove the ORVM glass

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by pdydeva, Jul 4, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Guys,

can someone give the exact method to remove the ORVM glass? Had been googling a lot but don't find a clear way to remove the glass in Punto.

I was able to remove the painted plastic cover, but don't find any clips or screws to remove the glass unit easily. Is it glued to the ORVM motor?

Need to do this for a small DIY work.

Mods: I found many threads showing how to remove the cover but not the glass. Kindly direct me to a thread if there's already one.

- Deva
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Some more help, hopefully:

ORVM Cover.JPG

ORVM Glass.JPG

This is from eLEARN

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  4. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore

@patchboy... Crisp Info.....
    Had a query regarding the 2nd pic. It has an electrical connection(2) for a defroster. Do we have this in any of our lineas/punto's...
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nope. We don't have the ORVM defroster in the Indian Versions, AFAIK. Must be possible to retrofit, I guess :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @ PatchBoy do you have Linea Elearn in english language or the image is from Punto elearn.
    I have Linea elearn in Turkish and one other foreign language.
    It should be possible to install heated glass in our cars but wiring would have to be done seperately for them as ORVM connector don't have wiring for them. I have placed order for seperate driver door wiring in ASS and 1 month have passed and no signs of part showing. I would try putting seperate wire in OEM connectors of the old damaged wiring of my door and if possible would install LED side repeaters, better and thicker speaker wires, door puddle lamp and heated glass. Don't want to make these look aftermarket hence trying to route additional wires through oem connectors only.
    Also thinking of fitting a motor to close and open mirror with button. Posting a few pics of ORVM. Does Fiat 500, Punto or Linea abroad come with electric open and ORVM close feature. Would reduce headache of finding a suitable motor if it does. DSC_0411.jpg DSC_0412.jpg DSC_0413.jpg DSC_0414.jpg DSC_0415.jpg DSC_0416.jpg DSC_0417.jpg
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have the Punto elearn in English. I could not find a Linea elearn in any language :(

AFAIK, no version of these cars come with electrically fold able ORVMs, internationally. I am thinking of relocating the side repeaters to the ORVM. The connectors in your picture are inside the ORVM body. Those pins are available here.

I am trying to source the pins that go in the door jamb connector, so I can make the install as close to OE as possible. The OE door jamb connector has a lot of spare slots and should accommodate repeaters, mirror heater, motor for closing and wiring for puddle lamps as well :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    two wise men talking!!:confused1:confused1:confused1:confused1
    1 person likes this.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Good to know there are empty pin slots. I'm stuck as I didn't want to do some crude wiring to install the led side repeaters in the orvm. Didn't find enough time to open the connector for a better understanding.

Any suggestions for safe removal of the connector??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Rear doors are a piece of cake. Pull the purple tab up and the connector comes apart. The front doors are a bit more tricky. Pull off the rubber grommet from the door side and you should be able to see the body side end of the connectors. Push the release clips gently with a screwdriver and extract slowly and carefully, lest you end up with bent pins or worse still, a short.

Adding new wiring will of course require removing the kick panel for the front doors and the B Pillar cladding for the rear doors.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.