1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to remove glue from glass and paint surfaces

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by chethansgangoor, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hey guys, i had two stickers on my car. One on my cars front windshield and the other on the boot. I removed those but i see the glue still there and i am not finding a way to remove them. Dust has accumulated on them and it is really looking ugly. Any suggestions?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Use with caution : Dab a cloth with petrol and just wipe the residue away in a flash.

Or take cloth dipped in some soapy solution and keep rubbing with a cloth till it goes away.
  3. Gurjinder, i tried with soapy solution - no results, let me give a try with petrol. But can i use petrol on paint surface, i belive it removes paint also right?
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Oops, i thot both stickers were on glass. My bad!

Do not use petrol on painted surface. Work with some soapy solution only , and not too hard.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Chetan- I have been using petrol on the paint surface of our M800 every 1 year when tar particles stick on the lower parts of the doors etc. from the road. What I do is that I wipe it clean with petrol dipped soft cotton cloth (Baniyaan), then wash the clean area with water to remove the petrol from the painted surface. Have done this more than dozen time and no problem whatsoever.

Now my Punto is also demanding a similar treatment as the lower 1/3rd of the car has got lots and lots of tar particles, especially on the front door.
  6. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    But using Petrol on a painted surface , will remove the clear-coat away from the surface , leaving it dull ...

Test on a place wer it couldnt be seen ...
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ok guys, then the question is how to remove the residual glue and tar particles from the paint surface that are adamant to enjoy the ride on our FIATs and not willing to let go.
  8. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Residual Glue can be removed using Colin or any-other glass surface cleaning solution and warm water [read warm , not hot]...

Tar can be removed using terpentile/thinner . This may also dull the surface a little , which can be brought back to original state after little waxing or polishing .
    Petrol/Diesel can be little harsher ...
  9. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    To remove the glue from the paint use Diesel than petrol. Diesel will help remove the glue easily. Also diesel will not effect the clear coat as much as petrol. Though you will have to polish the car (recommended) to ensure that there is really no issues.

THe procedure is really simple. Take a cotton swab dip it in Diesel and moisten the area where you want to remove the glue. Leave it like that for few seconds, I have no patience and hence I use the micro fiber to remove it immediately but then you have to use some force. If you allow Diesel to do its work, you might not have to sweat it out with your hands.

Once removed, I polish the entire car (if its in the paint area that I have removed) using Turtle wax Platinium series and if I still have time, I will use Collinite 845 insulator wax to give it that wet look. Hope this helps.

Dilip - thinner is more harmful than diesel, I am saying it with my own experience that I had on my Vista.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Dilip 22ji, thinner is the baap of petrol when it comes to scouring of car paint. Don't use it.