1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How To Prevent Battery From Draining

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sameergoel77, Nov 12, 2014.

1. sameergoel77

sameergoel77 Novizio

delhi
    Hi guys i bought MJD Dynamic Punto in jan this year , till now it has completed 5000 kms. I just take it to my office on saturday's or occasionally on long drives. I have a question, does it not effect battery life because of limited usage?
    And what i do to prevent battery draining is i idle the vehicle for 15 min after every 3 days . Is it a correct method ie only idling the vehicle to prevent battery from draining ?
  2. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not sure if there is a thumb rule for that but incase you aren't taking it out regularly idling for some time might just suit fine. But when you are idling the vehicle for 15 minutes, why not take it out for a spin on teh road itself. That would help better. The Run, Grumble and heat of the engine could help dislodge any rodent who is thinking of building a "Residential Flat" in the engine hub( Not forgetting the spiderman who would be building a web too). And a gud strong road run should help Charging better and faster i suppose.

Take the baby out for a spin
    magnan, limraj and asimpleson like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Agree 100% with sanfiat, best to take it for a short spin of 5-10mins. Also, keeps the engine internals prepped. Best to do it during day, maybe early morning rather than evening preferably with AC and Headlight turned off. As far as rodents are concerned a spin during night time is helpful to be more effective.
    Dilip patel likes this.
  4. sameergoel77

sameergoel77 Novizio

delhi
    ty sanfiat and asimpleson. i also do agree taking out is much better then idling ,but sometimes i get late .thanx oncemore will try to do as said:)
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Relax.. you are doing ok... the battery is going to die in 3 years time anyways..so no point losing sleep over it... just remember if you want to Park your car for a longer duration 15 days or more... just remember to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
    Dilip patel likes this.
  6. sameergoel77

sameergoel77 Novizio

delhi
    Ok , ty Vivek . I was under the impression that the battery would start to drain off after some days . 15 days is a good long period :)