1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to open the ECU box of my Fiat Linea.

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by lakshminandan, May 2, 2016.

1. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    It's been a while I have been planning to remap my Linea MJD to improve drivability and to overcome lack of power problem while overtaking. But due to unavailability of any tuners here in my region, I am not able to remap my car till now. However I wrote to wolf team about my intention. They told that some customers from distant places have couriered their ECU to wolf. They remap it and send it back. Is their anyone here who has done this? I have located the ECU but don't know how to remove it. Also can you please suggest if this is safe. Don't want to take more than 20%risk.:D
    Thanks
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Its risky, You can order additional chips which are plug and play.
    gpunto75 likes this.
  3. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    Can you suggest where to order from. Are they as effective as remap?
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Contact wolf team. ECU can be removed easily. Although contact you local garage mechanic and get it done. Ofcourse it voids warranty. Go through reputed courier and check insurance options just in case for transit loss. You want to make sure since your car will be standing idle for lack of ecu. During which time also remove battery terminals -ve first then positive. Infact remove a few hrs earlier before you get your ecu removed.
    lakshminandan likes this.
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Racechip is most common amongst chip tunning . I can't find the article where every available chip tunning boxes were compared and rated. Well I have never driven a remapped car , but I do own a racechip pro 2 so I cannot comment whether they are similar or not.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The safety aspects for remap are better than chip tunes. A detailed explanation can be found here.
    http://mechanicalee.blogspot.in/2013/03/ecu-remapping-vs-chip-performance-tuning.html

However, remember that if you remove a chip like racechip you have that advantage to revert back to factory program except the ecu re-learns some user inputs and adjusts accordingly. Which is normal and equivalent to removing and refitting a battery.
  7. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the suggestions. Isn't this the ECU in the picture with the arrow mark pointed? To unmount the ECU we have to open the battery connections and the two cables entering and the screws?

IMG_20160503_144538.jpg
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes but please exercise caution. You don't wanna break any latch. ;)
  9. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    I am not going to do it myself.:woot:. Wolf team had told me to wait till they confirm.But there is no FIAT mechanic here in my town. Can MS/Hyundai ASS mechanics can do this work?
  10. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3