1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to make my car run smoother?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sungoa2010, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    This is a discussion on all issues that can affect the smooth ride of the car. Some of the things are very obvious like engine oil, shock absorbers, clutch etc etc.
    I have noticed change in smoothness during long drives. What could be the reason for such variations? Is it related to clucth, fuel quality, clutch and engine temperature?
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Has any one tried The Italian tune-up - at least in a diesel [although it applies to a gas car too - Ed] consists of taking a SOUND car out and maximally accelerating from stop or slow speed to some high speed OR driving at near full rpm with a heavy load (up long hill) for minutes at a time. The idea is to get maximal air and fuel flowing through the engine to develop near maximum heat. This will burn and eject residual carbon that has collected in the engine. Following such a regimen the idle is usually smoother and the amount of black smoke at full throttle should be reduced. This occasionally does not happen the 1st time and the idle might get rougher or a pronounced knock could occur. This is usually because some carbon has been "rearranged" but the prechamber environment isn't appropriate for smooth combustion. Further TREATMENT will clear this up as more carbon is burned up, but it is a little scary the 1st time it happens to YOU and your car! A few full throttle accelerations a week will usually keep most CLEAN engines cleaned out pretty well. More prolonged "treatment" is usually required for a car that has had a LOT of city driving. Just a long highway trip (50+ miles) with several two-three minute full throttle periods (long 6-8% grades are GREAT) will clean out an awful lot of carbon and crud that's build up, but with a really "city bound car" it may may take more than just a few sessions to really get it all out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Shadowfax. Does it has to be done on a already heated engine than a relatively cold engine?
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

I attempt this mostly on long drives

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk