1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to increase ground clearance

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by dhoundiyal1, May 8, 2013.

1. Hi,

I own a Fiat Linea 2010 and need to change tyres now. It has already run 60k on stock tyres.

I have had terrible experience with the ground clearance of Linea with the car hitting the bumps even at very low speeds. I just wanted to check if changing the wheel and tyres to a plus size would help overcome the ground clearance issues. Also, if there is any effect on mileage and if yes, approx how much would that affect ?

2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Assuming that your Linea came with 195/60 R 15 tyres, you can upsize to 205/55 R16, the standard size of the current crop. That would increase your ground clearance by 8.45 mm. However, this will result in both a Speedo and an Odo error. Assuming that the Speedo is now calibrated accurately (which seldom is the case), if the Speedo indicates 112 KMPH, you will in fact be doing 115 KMPH.

Since the difference with this upsize is 2.75%, the Odo will also indicate 102.75 kms, for every 100 kms you actually drive. This would mean, that the calculated mileage will be lesser than the real mileage :D

Please also be aware that any warranty claim on the shock absorbers can be denied, post upsize.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It's a new mile stone itself.... :)
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Why dont you go for the GC upgrade kit form FIAT ?. Seems like you are not aware of it. All GC problems vanish with the installation of the kit.

5. Abdul,

What is GC kit ? How much does it cost and what elevation does it give ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

I guess all this pain for just a 8.45 mm increase in the ground clearance is not worth the pain. Anyways thanks for the help Rajan.

6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    FIAT has increased GC of their cars in 2012 and they offered the GC kit for old FIAT cars as well for Rs. 11,000 where they change the suspension of the car. There is marginal difference in ground clearance and yes it is useful.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

GC upgrade is not just about numbers.
    Its got to do with a lot of other things like the wheelbase , suspension setup how heavily the car sits down, sedan or hatchback .
    and all these are in sync while calculating the practical usage of GC and at no point will any one be mutually exclusive.
    So keeping these in mind 8mm is quite a lot
    2 people like this.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

9. Checked with Tejasvi....quoted 16k for the kit along with labor...availability 7 working days. Not sure about how different TASS have different rates ?
  10. snck

snck Amatore

Linea 1.3
    11000 should be the old rate. Enquired with Vecto Motors Bangalore today and it costs around 15,000/-.
    Last edited: May 11, 2013