1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to get rid of RAT MENACE (from damaging the car)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VahanPujari, Jul 12, 2010.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,

I am facing long standing fight with 1-2 rats still in my car for last 2-3 months.
    I have tried all sorts of tricks to trap them but in vain.

Tobacco
    Rat Poison
    Rat Traps
    Glue traps

Nothing is working.

Once in 3-4 days, my central locking goes haywire. Does not work and screams when I switch on.
    The remote central locking does not lock the doors and reverse sound also does not work.
    But, after using car for probably 2-3 ours the central locking starts working as usual.

If I leave the car unattended for 3-4 days again the problem starts.
    I observe lot of poof in the dicky area and always clean them with vacuum.

Seems like its entering from front wheel arch and hiding behind the dashboard. I see lot of small pieces of those soft beadings given behind the dashboard falling off. FASS said they would charge 3000 for removing and readjusting the dashboard.

Any advice would be helpful. Am planning for 2000kms trip in another 2 days.
  2. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    any suggestions. need help please. :banghead:
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Had a similar issue at home ( new flat we moved in to ) . Had bought a rat kill product which comes in a packet of 5 cubes. Just kept those cubes at different location and next morning the culprit ( or rather victim ) was dead . Price was Rs 10 - 15 for a pack. Think the same can be helpful in this case. I don't have the exact name but think it was of Mortein brand
  4. Coolwater

Coolwater Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had a similar problem 2 months back, around 4-5 rats roaming around the building compound some of whom were visiting my bonnet. They had urinated around the engine bay and had started keeping stale food, crab shells, plastic bits and paper at one corner of the engine compartment. Perhaps were trying to nest.
    I immediately washed the engine bay and kept 4 to 5 tabacco packets at different corners of the engine compartment. Visits continued, then tried tufkote rat repellant containers and Swe Rat repellant spray bought from eBay. This didn't work either.

Finally found Autoguard rat repellant on the net. They were located at Kandivali in Mumbai. Called up Mr.Parag who delivered a container of the repellant to my residence the same evening. The cost was Rs.1947 for a 550 ml spray can, which I felt was a bit expensive but as I had planned a trip to Bhandardara in a few days, I was desperate for a solution.
    I sprayed the complete engine bay that evening and another spray around the underside of the car and the rear wheel springs areas, as I felt this was one more place from where the rats could climb up into the vehicle. A second spray around was done after a few days due to my paranoia. I also simultaneously kept mortein rat kill blocks around the compound. This didn't seem to work earlier but I had a packet so used it.
    I'm not too sure if this spray worked or the rat kill.. But although I've seen a rat or two scampering around the compound the last few nights...its been over 2 months and no rats in my car yet.
    So fingers crossed an I'll continue using this repellant and provide another update in a couple of months.