1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to get rid of RAT MENACE (from damaging the car)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VahanPujari, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore
    Rat problem in my Punto Emotion Pack

My car is turning 1 yr old next month, so far not many issues. For last 2/3 weeks i have been finding mice droppings in my car. Have any of you experienced it? Once while i was driving it to KHT motors for mice problem check up i could hear mice making some noise some where in the car. KHT motors said they checked my car and nothing was found :((

After this check up again i am finding mice droppings in the car. I reported this issues to fiat but still have not heard anything from them.
    My two biggest worries now ...
    1. Car is about to finish 1 yrs so any problems discovered later will not be covered in warranty period.
    2. Mice can cut wires and other stuff in the car and cause bigger damage.

Any suggestions??
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Re: Rat problem in my Punto Emotion Pack

Ask the dealer to remove the seats and empty out the hatchback of the spare tyre and check thoroughly for rats. Also, engine bay should be checked thoroughly for obvious reasons. Insist on the dealer doing this as this could lead to a serious safety issue if not solved now. How about putting some rat poison in these areas and below the seats?
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Amit,

Using Rat Poison under the car seats could be potentially dangerous and life threatening as it may emit the smell inside a closed airconditioned car and the concentration levels could be high.
    One other option could be leaving the doors a bit open with the windows sealed and with the car left in the hot sun,. The rat may run away as the temperature inside could get unbearable. ( They too need cool climes aswell ! )
    Another option could be to blow hot air inside the cavities using a hair dryer.

Abdul
  5. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore

I have placed couple of naptha balls, also placed rat poison. Even after 3/4 days i still see fresh mice droppings. Must be a smart rat not to eat rat poison. :(
  6. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

have heard people using tobacco pouches in the engine bay to repel mice. dont know how useful this would be in the cabin.
    as rightly mentioned, rat poison is not recommended.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Ballu,

Why don't you try Rat Glue strip/pad putting it at the place where you're finding mice droppings?

I caught 1 rat thro' this rat glue pad.
  8. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore

Ok .. let me try rat glue and tobacco trick.
  9. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore

rat glue and rat poison both failed to dissuade this stubborn rat from entering the car :) In fact this chap was eating away rat poison ( i thought Mortein rat glue would be good enough and yes it was not expired yet )

I took car to both KHT and Corcord mortors, they have meshed air conditioner vent entry and read bumper air exit entry, for last 2 days no issues. I am hoping that i have found a permanent fix for rat issue.
  10. Re: Rat problem in my Punto Emotion Pack

Try keeping rat poison cakes next to all four wheels and also put DDT powder around the wheels and make sure to keep water away or keep your car away from water. Even after eating poison, if Rat can get water, then your effort will be in vain.