1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to get rid of RAT MENACE (from damaging the car)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VahanPujari, Jul 12, 2010.

1. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Two legged one is most dangerous :grin:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    The link mentions its safe for pets like dog and cats and effective on rodent like creatures including squirrels
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I would not trust that. True that rats can hear up to 90 kHz, while dogs can only hear up to 40 kHz and cats up to 60 kHz. If the device is manufactured to emit noises only above 60 kHz, then technically it would be safe for cats and dogs, but without sophisticated equipment, it would be impossible for us to measure and ensure.

Additionally, in my case, I have a lot of visiting pets - birds including an owl, cows & goats and even a squirrel - my wife has an uncanny knack of befriending them and they come looking for small treats :D

Rajan

Edit: Just read the specifications. It says 20 kHz and 80 to 110 dB (not audible to humans).
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Had rat issues in my M800 couple of days back. Left Indicator wire was completely chewed. Had to fix them by myself. Went to Electrical hardware shop and bought 1/4inch pvc sleeve and covered it on the indicator wire with insulation tape. In my M800 there is very nice space for rats on top of both front suspensions
    Immediately bought some rat poison local made and a couple of Mortein Rat cakes. Located a couple of rat tunnels nearby and throwed a few piece of rat cakes into it and also under the car and nearby.
    Next day there was no trace of rats. Yesterday opened the bonet of 2 days old Punto and found remains of a small rat above the battery (Courtesy : Rat poison). Almost all of it was completly consumed by ants. Checked the wires and everyrthing seems tobe normal. took a drive for about 10km and everyhting seems to be fine.

Called Bharath from Fiat Caffe service in whitefield today to enquire about rat and he quoted me 2200/-:shocked for rat mesh cabin protection Asked him about it efficiency and was informed that it is 70 % - 80 % and sole purpose to avoid rats entering into the cabin.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Grandeur: Any update on the Ratocop's effectiveness?

Also, any one has tried this other than Sandeep.
  6. PuntoSingh

PuntoSingh Amatore

Faridabad
    NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello all,

Not sure if this is discussed earlier or not just found it on internet searching something else... however the product seems intrestesting

Link

Extract from product description

"Keep your favorite travel companion a rat-free zone with this handy rat guard spray. It is a unique formulation designed to drive away the rats from your car engine compartment and can also be used to keep them away from other important electronic items and small components. Once applied it ensures effectiveness for many months, leaving you happy and worry-free."
  7. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
  8. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Hi,
    On visiting the FASC for monsoon check I was said that Rats have been visiting my car engine compartment and he showed me footprints of it. Lucky for now, no issues reported yet. He suggested I park the car every time in changed position so that the rats gets confused. Yesterday I opened the car and saw my landlords dog rush to my car as if it had spotted the rat. Do dogs chase rats? If so I've this dog near my car all time.

second I wanna get a permanent fix for this rats thing. What's the best working way to fix it. I will be going out of town for a while and what to fix it before leaving.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes.

I follow multi pronged strategy to discourage entry of rats:

1. Placing tobacco sticks in the engine bay [very effective] See here.

2. Sprinkling phenol-mixed water every night all round the vehicle at night [not so effective]

3. Keeping a mouse-trap with burnt coconut as the bait [useful to catch mouse only and not suitable for big rats/bandicoots]

4. Keeping rat poison mixed with Bengal gram flour at places frequented by the rodents [very effective]

5. Idling the car for a few minutes inside the garage twice in a week. The exhaust fumes discourages the rodents. [very effective]

6. Making the garage rodent-proof by plugging all gaps/entry points [the best option]

WP_20140123_001.jpg

WP_20140123_004.jpg

WP_20140123_005.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    My car gets frequently visited by the damn mice. I must say, my lovely 2 pets are very active in chasing it away. Unfortunately that damn mouse is still on loose :(

On the flip side, i have another issue with the house flies, which gets attracted to the car during wash, after wash and in normal time as well. Than just sitting there, they crap alot. Changing shampoos, wax did not help either. Yet to find a solution :(