1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to get rid of RAT MENACE (from damaging the car)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VahanPujari, Jul 12, 2010.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ shadowdax and Harsh, thanks a ton! Let me try it tonight it self and check whether the 'enemy' stays away from my car :evil:
    1 person likes this.
  2. Chee.. i have been facing this "rat menace" for some time now. i noticed that it gnawed off a part of the Fiat emblem on black engine cover and found its droppings in the engine bay at several locations.

have been placing mortein rat kill cakes near each wheel every alternate nights. will post the results in a week or two. seems there are many rats in my building compound. the cakes disappear in an hour after placing them.. :)
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Vikram, problem with rat menace is that there is no standard solution. It has to be trial and error basis. For example in my case, initially tried keeping tobacco pouches and rat kill cakes; it did not yield any result. Then kept nepthalene balls under the hood. Touchwood, this seems to be working for now. Also I try to change my car park location once in few days atleast.
  4. Well, i once had a rat who used to climb upto my second floor terrace every night and loiter around. (luckily never entered the house). i placed the rat kill cakes for about 2 days and he never returned.

from that experience, i inferred that rat kill needs to be continued to be fed till the LC threshold is crossed and they die off.. trying the same this time too but the building compund is big and there are many rats.. dunno how many cakes would be required to control the local rat population.. :) lets see how things work out.. will post updates.. :)
  5. left indicator gone..

This week i opened the bonnet to find two dismembered wires lying below the bonnet, one black and another white with blue lines on it along with the PVC conduit encasing them completely shredded.. also the foam that provides cushion to the bonnet hood on the passenger side has been chewed off completely.. :(the left indicator above the left wheel has stopped working.i am sad.. :(
  6. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    My first car A Tata Pickup was surprised with a total wire job by our garage resident rodent family, it was fixed lighted me by 3.5K. A research drive was undertaken to find the most reliable and effective solution as getting rid of the one rodent family was not the ultimate solution.
    The remedy was found in ready made anti rodent cakes, a compressed mixture of rice, additives and poison that promised 'will eat and go outside and die', cool, will save me the trouble of the stink and cleaning the car. So i got a couple of these, broke them into the marked pieces, drilled 3mm hole in each, used 2.5mm aluminium wire to wind it at various entry points and on cables and junctins, about 12 in all, after some days i found some of the cakes under the bonnet feasted upon but all the guest had gone, i did not bother about the visitors but smiled on the success. So when i bought the GP i identified the locations and installed the cakes the day i bought it. Last month i was surprised to find a cake feasted upon under the bonnet, re installed all the cakes. These cakes are odorless, and can withstand vibrations and water to a large extent, you will not lose them if you wash you car, replace them once in a year just before the rains, locate them where visible and do not forget to count, a missing one can be a cause for worry.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Another good solution we have been seeing all these years is, (tho i didnt had car in the past), we have 4 dogs. They all are big rodent haters. If not today, def i would see a dead rat in next 2 days. So every morning i call them up (Yep they are ours) and make them to sniff all around the car (not inside) and under the car and also tab the body of the car to make sound so that any rat would come out. So far than goodness no such attacks. Dogs are much effective here :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. I found this to be most effective,caught two of culprits already pest-control-world
    Only issue is you will have to take duty of disposing the live rat.it costs Rs 70/- here in bangalore.
    In mycase they damaged the wiring to the BCAM so rear center stop light is not working
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. bins

bins Amatore

Bangalore
    My car is under attack. A couple of days back, ABS and engine check warning lights came up. All those wires were chewed up. But I was able to drive my vehicle to the ASS and got it rectified. And I started to keep tobaco, chilli powder. The next day I dont see rats or any trails. But they came back with a bang. A big bang!! All the warning lights come up and the engine is dead. Would just crank. Nothing else!!!

Now I have called up ASS and would be coming tomorrow morning. Tonight the rats would be thinking whats next. And I am going to have a sleepless night.

I have a pet dog, his name is Cooper and ha here goes my experience. Some years back, Cooper greeted a very good morning with the Radiator grill in his mouth and both the fenders bend and chewed up. The rat hid under the bonnet and frustrated Cooper could only do this!!!
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry to hear that. My Linea is also a victim of rats at my Chennai home notwithstanding the presence of a lot of roaming lousy and lethargic stray cats. The details are here. Now, I follow two-pronged strategy to combat the rats: this and laying mouse-trap with burnt coconut or masala vada as the bait. The first one prevents rats coming near the vicinity of my Linea. The second one ensures that even if any rat dares to meddle with my Linea, it is sure to become a victim.