HOW TO GET RID OF RAT MENACE (FROM DAMAGING THE CAR)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VahanPujari, Jul 12, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari

Car:
    Linea 1.4 Emotion Pk
    I & Sanjeev Sharma were discussing about rat menace which resulted into some of the wires in his car chewed by Rats. Since he remembered that earlier I faced this issue repeatedly, he called to ask things I did to get rid of this menace. Actually, I've explained it in my Ownership Report. But the ownership report has become a "Thesis" :mrgreen: . I thought, its better to share this as a separate topic & hence this topic.

In the month of Nov'09, twice in 1 month, rats chewed some wires in my Linea. 1st it was ABS wires & then it was AC fan wire. I was continuously travelling out of Mumbai on biz tours during that time & used to come back in week ends. Following 2 situations invites rats to make your car their home/ habitat !!!

• Car remain unused for more than 3-4 days.[/*:m:2268idsr]
    • Kids munching eatables in the car dropping substantial remians in the car[/*:m:2268idsr]

Fortunately, the damage was not much & could be repaired at around Rs. 750/- & Rs. 800-900/- 2nd time. However, had they chewed the main / critical wiring, the expense could have been Rs. 30 - 40K. Hence, got worried & explored substantially how to get rid if it. I had used following items simultaneousoly as a solution. Thereafter, have never faced rat menace in my car though I continue to park at the same place:

• Chewing Tobbaco pouches - placed on seats & floor, Tied with few wires/hoses under the bonnet (nearer to where windsreen ends in 2 corners & several inside the engine bay area - can't explain exact locations, service advisor did it). These are typically locations where important wiring passes or where there is sufficient space for rat to sit & indulge in whatever he/she wants to do ::V [/*:m:2268idsr]
    • Napthalene balls - on floors & in glove box (I think we should be careful dealing with napthalene balls for - Odor/ gas it emits & kids safety). Use very limited no.s[/*:m:2268idsr]
    • Rat trap Glue/ Gum strip - placed on rear parcel tray - Thick half-an-inch layer of glue on which rat stucks (never happened when I tried it)[/*:m:2268idsr]
    • Begon spray for insects - after parking the car, I used to spray it on all 4 wheels & inside arcs & surrounding ground, also spray it under the bonnet across the boundaries[/*:m:2268idsr]

Another item is that in your absence, ask someone to start the car & drive it for 1-2 kms to make it warm/ hot inside the engine bay.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Car:
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Many years back, when I found the rat-droppings in my garage, I had successfully used the mouse-trap with a piece of masala vada or burnt coconut inserted in the hook as the bait to attract the rodent. Afterwards, my garage is rat-free! Nowadays, my neighbour's pet cat freely roams within our compound and enjoys sumptuous meal consisting of the rodents found in the vicinity. So, no rat-related problem for my Fiat Linea. :-D
  3. bnzjon

bnzjon

Car:
    Linea 1.4 T-Jet Plus
    Amit, Ravi,
    Both of you are criminals under the eyes of PETA & Blue cross for torturing and denying the basic rights (chewing wires/cables)
    of poor rodents :dance

(pardon,no offence meant to anyone )
    2 people like this.
  4. paritosh

paritosh

Car:
    Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion Pk
    That was useful VP.
    When i went for the mosoon camp last week, the service advisor by looking at the footprints, mentioned that my engine had been a playground for the rodents. Fortunately there were no wires been chewed.

I have a covered parking but i guess you cant predict the rodents.

However he has advised to take precaution.

I had remembered reading about this in ur ownership thread, but this excerpt as a separate thread surely helps.

The tobacco trick and a spray seems more practical. Will try it.
  5. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin

Car:
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks Amit Bhai for documenting our discussion :) It was really very helpful.

In my case the Rats chewed up the Horn Wire & the Water Pipe of the Front Winsheild washers, got them repaired in just Rs. 60/- and after your suggestion i had hanged the Tobacco Pouches under the Bonnet Area. Touch Wood till now nothing has happened after hanging the Pouches :)
  6. nehamit

nehamit Timido

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Hi! Everybody. Its a long time I visited this forum. Well, I have faced the same problem in my Linea MJD E+ two months back.
    I found a rat entering from the rear wheel. I kept a watch, could not locate, but the glove box and boot compartments were speaking the presence of rat. Luckily, no wires were cut. I took it to the TASC and they did some strengthening of sound dampening zone behind front fenders and for two days everything was fine. Again I noticed that boot has presence of rat. I kept gum pad and wooden cage and next day morning found a big rat trapped in wooden cage. So one more visit to TASC and they cheeked everything , nothing was found. Then they examined ventilator opening in boot (right side), which is like an exhaust fan of 3 inches square part. It smelled like rat droppings and a wire mesh was fitted on both the openings. Well, touch-wood, rat has not sighted again inside my Linea.
    I have also kept tobacco leaves packets as advised.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari

Car:
    Linea 1.4 Emotion Pk
    Nice to see you back, Dr Amit

Same happened with me. About 15-20 days back, there were rat droppings in the boot & a water bottle (which was filled with water earlier) was carved a hole at the bottom & its plastic wrapper was chewed. Then I checked Glove Box. Again some signs were there also. I think Boot & GLove box are the 2 biggest possibilities of rat intrusion. Fortunately, no wites were cut. No damage. Have put a rat gum pad at nights & one morning found a rat trapped. Since then no further rat "visits"
    I always felt that there are some openings in Linea from where rats are coming inside. I think these could be typically in certain cars. Have heard lot of rat menace in Maruti & other cars. However, I used to park my Ford Ikon at the same place & never ever in all these years there was a sign of rat menace (which means there mmight not be any such opening in Ford Ikon).

Are there 1 such opening in boot or 2 openings? Is it possible to post a pic? I shall also get it covered by a wire mesh
  8. nehamit

nehamit Timido

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    Dear Amit, Well, I'll try to post pictures as I had taken them by mobile. On right side wall of boot, which has that 'string' to open the boot manually, you can see horizontal openings, just behind that these two ventilators are fitted. I have taken fresh pics.
    [attachment=1:rffjkw39]Linea1.jpg[/attachment:rffjkw39]
    [attachment=2:rffjkw39]Linea2.jpg[/attachment:rffjkw39]
    [attachment=0:rffjkw39]Linea3.jpg[/attachment:rffjkw39]
    I hope this helps all Linea owners.

Linea1.jpg

Linea2.jpg

Linea3.jpg
  9. nehamit

nehamit Timido

Car:
    Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
    I forgot to mention that fix the wiremesh from outside of the ventilators. Pull the ventilators from inside the boot, fix wiremesh and fix it again. This is important as these ventilators are meant for relieving the air pressure when we close down the boot.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari

Car:
    Linea 1.4 Emotion Pk
    Dr. Amit

Thats quite useful. Thanks. Shall ask TASC about it in next visit (3rd service)