1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to drive a brand new car on highway?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Aviator, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Guys, I just purchased brand new Punto Sport few days ago and I could only clock 140 KM till now because of lack of time :(. I live in Delhi but I will be in Mumbai for next 4-5 months or so for my coaching.

I was not able to decide whether to leave the car at home or to drive it to Mumbai. I purchased this car for my personal use so if I leave it at my home, I'll be dying every hour thinking of it as it is my first personal car and i always desired to purchase this car since its launch in India.

On the other hand I love driving on highways and i can easily drive to Mumbai but the engine has not even done 200 KM and the "break-in" of a new engine takes 1500-2000 KM (I think). So i am very hesitant to take this car on highways and drive it for 1500 KM Delhi - Mumbai trip. I will not be able to resist myself for opening the throttle.

At last I decided to drive it to Mumbai. Now i need suggestions / tips / dos & don’ts from my fellow drivers on this community regarding this trip. I also want to know the engine break-in procedure. I always listen different things regarding engine break-in.

Cheers
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Punto is a highway car and you will love riding her on highway. Ill recommend keep the speed between 60-80. Try to drive as much as you can during day and leave delhi at very early morning.

However it all depends where your training is in mumbai and where you would be staying. As getting a parking (cheap and affordable parking) for your car can be challenging in many areas of mumbai. So its better you preplan this as well.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Gmaps say its about 1500kms from delhi to bombay,
    If your really keen on driving till bombay then follow these procedures.

1.) Spend sometime on looking at hotels enroute and make bookings in advance (choose good hotels so that your car will be safe.)
    2.) DO NOT EXCEED 80kmph (2000rpm, in 90HP i'm not sure what the RPM would be @ 80kmph but you can decide)
    3.) Before you leave check all the fluid levels and make sure they are as recommended.
    4.) Dont drive in the night
    5.) ocassionally you may have to cross 80kmph (for overtaking) that's ok but dont make it the name of the game.

Always keep the customer care and on road service handy as its a new car.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Very sorry to disagree with you but this speed limit makes no sense whatsoever. I know 9/10 or even 10/10 people will say 80kmph/2000rpm but it's all wrong.

@ Aviator

Drive it normally as you would any car.

Do NOT stick to one particular rpm for long stretches. Keep varying the rpm. Do not hesitate to show it some revs , say 3000rpm or so. The key thing is - do not abuse it by revving it to the max or by stomping the accelerator like a maniac. Being gradual is the key. If a road demands you cruise at 100, do it.

Just avoid the above two things and forget you're driving a new car. Babying the new car by sticking to one set speed or rpm does more harm than good.

Also, if you haven't already read, have a read of this thread. I've tried to suggest some good practices for the engine's health.

Diesel engines are tough fellas. Work them hard and they will love it but never abuse them.

Cheers.
    5 people like this.
  5. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Hi Aviator, drive the car just as you would an older car. In all honesty this break in stuff used to hold good with old CI blocks and the lack of finesse in machining of the drive train components. Today with highly advanced CNC machining and tolerances achieved in 'thous' (thousand part of an inch) strengthened by modern metallurgy the new age vehicles are capable of being redlined at first crank and emerging blemish free from the episode.

Of course, I am not asking you to follow suit but just letting you know that there is no harm in driving a new car out on a long drive. In fact I myself bought a brand new TJet+ in Bombay and drove it back to Dilli a couple of weekends back. As it is by the time you reach Jaipur you would have covered another 170 odd kilometres and given all the diversions you can barely sustain 80 clicks so the various components would have had a thorough work out and you would be clear to stretch the car's legs as it were on the Jaipur Kishangarh expressway & beyond.

Do get a PUC done on the last evening here in Dilli. This little document comes in handy in negating the efforts of the MH pandus who derive evil pleasure in getting out of state cars to pay up fines for not converting to MH plates. Again do not get alarmed by this, one is not required to convert unless one plans to stay in excess of 6 months or more. You could and I am sure you will drive to Goa. So when you do get a PUC done there too. This will help once the Dilli PUC expires in 3 months. If you need any pointers on good fuelling stops enroute and places to stay on the highway, do not hesitate to ask.
    2 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I agree, sorry for the wrong info. I remember someone telling me to not stick to one particular speed for a long stretch of time.. I was reminded of it after your post..
    Thanks for the correction
  7. Just fill diesel and move out towards your destination,nothing else is reqd..The more you drive your car on highways the better(smoother)it gets...I got delivery @8pm,and same night I moved out for bangalore from kolkata...The initial few hundred kms of your drive maintain some low speeds,as you need to get the hang of your car's behaviour...

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

PUC certificate is not required for new car,after 6 months only you need to do it...
    1 person likes this.
  8. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Seems you got stuck on the PUC and did not get to the gist of the part regarding what that bit of paper will be used for.

If required it will provide a fail safe proof that the car is being driven in whatever state it might be flagged down in, on a temporary basis. PUCs in Dilli carry a coloured snap of the car with it's number plate clearly visible and that shoots down the unreasonable demands of the police to pay fine on account of non conversion of out of state numbers. At times it has been the best 80 bucks that I have spent on some long distance drives.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. Sorry to say buddy but I really didnt get your point regarding PUC..:confused

If the car is driven from one state to another,its better to keep the toll tickets,and fuel station bills,which are good enough to prove that the car has been driven from one state to another,and will keep the police away...And eventually in a month or two a trip to some nearby places and toll slips will be enough..
  10. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    OK, i get it i will just drive it like a normal car and will not rev the engine too hard. Some of you said not to drive at same speed for longer durations. I am just curious, what happens if we drive at same speed for longer durations and can you all be more specific about what "longer duration" means here?? i mean 10 minutes, 20 minutes or what??

Cheers
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012