1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to Clean pollen filter?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Prabu, Jun 3, 2010.

1. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Here are the pics of my pollen filter at 10k kms before and after cleaning. Seems regular cleaning of pollen filter is essential in our dusty conditions. The most hated thing by me is dust...especially chennai dust! uploadfromtaptalk1352616505464.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1352616505464.jpg

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1352616522826.jpg
    2 people like this.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Even I have personally felt that there is no need for replacing this 'Mesh Filter' during services as we can re-use it after cleaning. It is better to clean it every 3000 kms (based on the dust conditions) so that you'll have a decent filtered air through your A/C vents
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If you have a paper filter, then it needs to be replaced. This mesh filter is meant to be cleaned and reused, but does a really poor job of filtering fine dust. The paper filter is far more efficient in doing that and in doing so, get clogged really fast :A

Rajan
  4. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Is it possible to put paper filter in place of wire mesh? Are the dimensions same for both of them?

tasting the Italian delight!
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think the initial batches of the new gen FIATs came with a paper pollen filter, which was subsequently replaced with the mesh later. Doubt if you will be able to find paper pollen filters anymore. As far as size - yes they are the same. The paper filter came with its own plastic frame, and would fit in the same slot as the mesh filter

Rajan
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My A/c filter (wire mesh type) was changed at the time of 15K Kms service. Now my car clocked just above 25K kms. During my recent trip I feel that a/c is not that effective. So, to tried to clean the a/c filter. It is a very easy job only thing I find difficult is to remove the plastic fitting which holds the glove box. I followed the procedure suggested by Vijay Kasha. But, I used an additional tool (Needle nose pliers) to remove the plastic bolt type fitting holding the glove in place.

Find lot of dry leaves and entire filter is cover with some black layer. Just cleaned it by gently tapping on the floor and a mild blow with air.

Refitted and I was very happy with the result a/c just chills.

Thank you vijay for posting detailed videos.
  7. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Thanks Vijay for a video. That helped me for a DIY session yesterday to clean the filter. Hardly 5 mins job.

Even I feel that the mesh filter material can withstand clean and reuse unlike paper filters. Have seen similar mesh filter when I cleaned the split AC used in home. I used to wash it with running water and let dry before fitting in. Did the same for the mesh filter in car too. Now the cooling effect has significantly improved after removing the leaves and dust.

@Rajan: How about adding a layer of cotton filter like material for arresting fine dust particles?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Now how do i know when i need to check if the AC system is working fine?
    If the gas is up to the mark or so on...

I got the temp checked at an independent AC fitment fellow and the min temp reached was 7C , now that the sun has started to shine brighter I'd like to get it serviced so that I will be prepared for long trips..

Is it advisible to go with TASS onlly for this or independent fellow is better?
    How much does TASS charge for this anyway?
  9. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    I have Linea Emotion Pk Petrol, April 2009. The AC kit was upgraded FOC by Fiat. The AC "never" chills. If the car is parked in sun for more then 30 minutes, the AC fails to cool the car even in an hour even now in March. The air is cold only for a few inches from the vents even when AC is running on LOW. The defogger is always off.

Thanks to the DIY videos and pictures. Checked the pollen filter today. It was plastic wire mesh. The filter was good clean except few small leaves. So the AC cooling is not expected to increase as the filter was clean.

Any hints what should be the next thing to do? Tejaswi motors Hyderabad earlier said, it won't cool more then this, which I don't buy-in.

Thanks,
    Pankaj.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Pankaj I would recommend you to take it to a different service centre . Tejaswini motors - are they running the FIAT exclusive outlet ? Few things which you can do from your side is when the inside of car is pretty hot, drive for a minute or two with all the windows opened & A/C on with full blower speed. Then close the rear ones 1st & after a minute the front ones. Just check out with a local automobile A/C repair centre if there is enough A/C gas . Don't ask them to repair anything, but they will be able to give you a good guidance.