1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to Clean pollen filter?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Prabu, Jun 3, 2010.

1. skrish

skrish

Bangalore
    Re: Cleaning pollen filter

Hi,
    After 15000km service of my MJD, I found the pollen filter has been replaced by a wiremesh filter. I found that there is a considerable price difference between the two with the pollen filter being the more expensive (Pollen filter ~ Rs.225 vs Wiremesh filter ~ Rs.38). Does this cost difference amounts to any difference in quality or functional efficiency? Though expensive doesn't always equate to better quality, we all knew only too well that it is always an exception than a norm.

P.S: The plastic screw type thing that is first removed as shown in the video (a couple of posts above in this thread) has been damaged during this service (Courtesy: KHT Motors service, Bangalore). Of the visible part inside the glove box, only half of it is there now. So much for professional work.

Cheers
    Krish
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

Now instead of paper type filter, wiremesh filter is installed which doesn't hamper AC cooling much when dirty.

Maybe the gut who opened it wasn't trained by Fiat. You can ask them to replace that item free of cost as it was damaged by them while servicing.
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2

The wire-mesh is way better than the pollen filter . Becoz in the former there is uniform flow of air from all the vents . Bt while using the pollen filter the air is concentrated only to the centre vents . Also pollen filter holds dust and other air pollutants very efficintly , bt they use to get clogged soon too [ not made for Indian roads ] . And wire mesh has longer life too .

@vijay : thanks for the detailed write-up . Its very easy to access the filter in the active variant of punto .

Found the whole filter covered with dried leaves .
  4. skrish

skrish

Bangalore

@vIjAy_kHaSa, I'm going to ask them to replace it. And without your DIY video, I wouldn't have known how to access the pollen filter and subsequently wouldn't have deduced that they damaged it while trying to reach the pollen filter. Many thanks to you.

@Dilip_dmk, I infer that pollen filter does a better job when it comes to filtering, the reason it is there. Would it not be more preferable to have a pollen filter than a wiremesh filter? But the air being concentrated only to the center vents is quite another thing. Never suspected it. Can you please explain how this air flow distribution varies by using these?

Thanks
    Krish
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)

::OO ::OO ::OO
    I got 14-15C on grill for default AC, replaced the ECU and got 9-10C and you getting 2.9C, seriously i need to once again kick SA team to get it down upto 3C atleast, as you are getting 2.9
  6. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2

Hi krish ,

yes pollen does a better filtering . But it does get clogged very easily too !!
    Pollen filter is somethign like a sponge/paper [ nt sure ] and wenevr air passes thru it der is no division to divide the air . However in wire-mesh , it has four different sections for the four diff vent .
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

Viny are these temperature readings after the latest AC Kit for petrol that include changing of radiator and many other components.
    Ideally temp at grill should be around 5-6 C for effective cooling.
    How did your TASS measured temp. Mine was measured after idling the car for around 10 mins and fan speed at minimum.
    I have prevented melting of Ice Cream brick for whole 30 mins by putting the brick in front of main AC Vents with temp on ACC set at Low mode and my hands were red due to double chill of Brick and air from vents.
    AC in Linea MJD is super super chilling. I would rate it 9/10 in cooling. -1 due to excessive noise from blowers on full speed.
  8. adutt

adutt Amatore

New Delhi

Excellent work Vijay. DIY just gives you so much satisfaction for not letting any dumb a** touch your car for small things like these.

Bythwaz guys....what is this temperature at grill????? Can we check it ourselves or it is checked only on an examiner machine??
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

Thanks, Adutt temp at grill is the temp of air coming out of AC Vents.
    It is checked by digital type thermometer type device.
  10. R Alavandar

R Alavandar

Chennai
    The pollen filter is a paper filter and it is better to renew it than to clean it. It costs only Rs 45/=. many a times the SA or mechanics advise cleaning because they may not have it in ready stock. The air flow rate will dramatically improve after renewal of the filter. Yes, it is tedious to do it yourself and it requires an allen key. During servicing please insist on renewal of the same.