1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How to clean Paint dot from windshield

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kunal, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kunal

Recently my car went for some dent paint job . Later I had realized that my car windshield is not as smooth as like earlier. There was some scratching noise with wiper on. With inspection I realized that it has some paint dot on it. I took it back to shop and they tried cleaning it with thinner but it didn't help much .

Later at home I tried cleaning it with different chemical (Glass cleaner like Ease on bang, Collen) but nothing work. I did some research over google and found people suggesting using razor blade . But I dont think its good idea as I might ended with some scratch on glass.

These paint dot reflects in night under light and makes my car vision really poor . Please suggest if :anyone of you had similar experience. or If you know any fix for it.

Thanks, Kunal
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Are you sure its paint and not "tar" from the road??

You can use a blade, provided you use it properly.
    At a 45 degree angle, with the whole sharp surface in contact with the glass, slide the blade over. Just like shaving..

Stickers, over paint is generally removed using a blade.

DONT use the corner edge. That will damage the glass.
  3. Paint, - it may go away with kerosene/ turpentine (the normal painters' way)
    Otherwise yeah- razor is just a good option provided used properly.
  4. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If u r afraid of using a razor blade , just take ur car to a local glasswala and he can remove it by just buffing or polishing !!!!!!
    Or try using nail polish remover .
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

It should go away with turpentine or nail polish remover as suggested earlier.

Or try to scratch it with your fingernail, The paint dot should peel off. Desi-looking jugaad but effective sometimes without causing scratches on glass (or wrap a sofft cotton cloth surrounding your finagernail & try).
  6. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Turpentine or kerosene should work.. use a blade which would clean the glass well
  7. i suggest u ppl ...!!! that never apply kerosine or thinner on the glass ...!!!!
    the glass will loose its transparency...
    i f u wana use thinner .be carefull that u must apply soft dry cloth after cleaning by thinner...!!!
    be carefull
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Are you sure :?:
    Windshields of some lower end vehicles like Bajaj Autorickshaws use perspex or some similar materials. They are known to lose their transparency on contact with thinners like turpentine, kerosene etc. But that does not happen with pure glass including tempered glass found in automobile windshields.
  9. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

a shaving blade is more than enough to remove paint spots... from GLASS!

If you are worried, take your car to the TASC.. they will help you out.
  10. Use Armorall Windshield concentrate .

Add 1/4 portion of the marking on the bottle with 3/4 fillings water into the car reservoir
    Now assuming that yur windshield blades to be good , try to clean it with the concentrate mixture
    using the wiper motor , you should have a squeaky clean clear looking windshield