1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How sane it is to buy a new T-jet and getting it serviced outside?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by kinetic, May 17, 2016.

1. kinetic

kinetic Novizio

Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi team! I have been able to successfully maintain the Fiat Petra 1.9D for almost a decade, without any FASS, only with the services of FNG. Since long time I have been eyeing the Tjet but didn't take the plunge as the Petra is doing well. As the rumors of the Linea getting discontinued/replaced have started doing rounds, I feel this year is my last chance of buying one.

Previously we've seen people buying Fiats in tier 2 & 3 cities during TATA days, but no longer. The nearest dealer is >200kms away from my place. It may not be possible for me to travel 400kms even for the first 3 free services. Routine scheduled service is not a worry, as I can get the parts arranged and get it done by the FNG. What bothers me is failures. A single sensor (out of the dozen) if goes bad, is difficult to diagnose and fix. What if the car dies down suddenly? Don't get me wrong here. Its not that I never want to go at FASS. I frequently go to the cities that have FASS and could pay a visit to the SC if severely required, just that I don't want to land in a situation where car needs to be towed or transported 200kms on a flatbed.

In all these years I have got the hang of what it takes to maintain a Fiat(and also how to flaunt a Fiat), but my Petra is an old tech diesel which is easy to diagnose(hence repairs are easy too) compared to the sophisticated Tjet. I fear that the confidence gained with regards to maintaining the Petra may not work with the Tjet, as both the cars are poles opposite.

I request fellow Tjet owners to guide me here. How difficult(or easy) is it to work upon the Tjet, compared to regular cars? Could the work like spark plugs, brakes, various cables, clutch replacement etc. be carried out at a private garage like any regular car? Can the Bosch service centres perform an ECU Scan on the Tjet? Private garages are usually good at doing suspension works.

Hope the Tjet owners and enthusiasts guide me with their experience. Can a person with average automobile understanding and having access to automobile forum for troubleshooting pull off happily with the Tjet?
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Linea 1.3
    99 Rpm Zindabad
    kinetic likes this.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    @PatchyBoy is maintaining (and modding) one by himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kinetic likes this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

My T-Jet has been to the FASS a few times - once when I needed a clutch change and once when the ECU conked off - this was a self inflicted injury, though. Apart from that I have been doing all the regular services myself, right from the first service. There have been no problems or issues.
    prabhjot, asimpleson, mchanna and 2 others like this.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Just wondering, will fiat honor warranty claims in such cases ? They will obviously not have any service data punched into their system.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @kinetic if you have been using a diesel now, does your need for a petrol mean you have different running needs; you definitely don't need a diesel?

There is always a possibility that some expensive part or some manufacturing issue can present itself during earlier part of ownership. If warranty isn't your concern then its pretty safe car to maintain. In one case atleast I have seen on a low running car the alternator for Tjet had an issue and changing was only option which was done in warranty and for which company scheduled service needs to be done and that too at proper intervals as per car manual. So if you are willing to take chances it makes sense investing in new Tjet. Else the money saved on a less used well maintained preowned could help mitigate unseen surprise expenses.

If you make those scheduled trips during warranty period you will have lot needed service support and as far as flatbed is concerned it will depend on what issue you face. Generally it's rare need to carry on flatbed unless you hit the car in a pot hole and oil is lost etc.

There can be some errors that need clearing via an OBD scanner or an obd cable and laptop. @PatchyBoy could suggest better.