1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How not to be cheated at the petrol pump

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jan 9, 2012.

1. We should also acknowledge the fact that our FIAT engines are built last longer despite of challenges faced with fuel quality.
  2. Thanks for the info :)
    I always have the habit of getting down when fuel is filled (in the process, stretching my arms & legs)
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I do this too. They usually try to distract your attention by asking all kinds of questions. Always observe the meter and never respond to questions untill fuel filling is complete.
  4. ravindra

One petrol bunk I have avoided in Bangalore for the past 7-8 years is the one near Basavanagudi Dodda Ganesh Temple. The persons always distract you by saying either that the petrol tank cap is dirty or some other silly reason. By the time you realize they would have done their job. My daughter once fought and got 1/2 ltr petrol for her scooter filled again. It is better to avoid these type of bunks and better will be to caution others who are in that area. Most of them now know the tricks and they avoid. Over a period of time I believe the bunk has to close down because of the poor sales. We should have a web site wherein we can share our experiences about these matter which really costs us.

As said in earlier posts it is always better to fill in at company operated petrol pump. And make sure that you get down from the car / scooter and does not pay any attention to whatever they say. Concentrate on the meter till it shows the required quantity.
  5. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    But how do you come to know which pumps are CoCo, I mean going to each petrol pump and all isn't a valid option, and I couldn't find them listed on the site too.
  6. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

Awesome information :D
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Replace spark plug at every 10000 km
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

An another easier way is to ensure "zero" and always fill your tank to full. This eliminates the chances of you being cheated. Also, keeping the tank atleast half tank full always ensure you get better mileage due to less presence of vapours in the tank.
  9. Since I am using a citibank IOC card , I try to fill from the stations from the below list :

There are COCO address also in the list .

Advantage : No Fuel Surcharge + Can refuel for the reward points . Already filled full tank twice ( once petrol in zen ) and once ~40 ltr diesel in punto in last 1 year for free :)

And follow general sayings religiously : 1 . Switch off engine and come out and stay near the person filling and ensure "zero".

2.Go early ( usually i fill between 6 am and 7 am ) .Adv : little more fuel and very less crowd.

10. sathya_sc

And one more kind of cheating that I experienced off-late..

I went to a Petrol pump in OMR in Chennai (renovated recently) and after filling petrol the guy was persisting me to fill air and I politely obliged. And then this drama started.. the moment he started filling air, it showed up as 17 PSI and started climbing.. I was just taken aback to see that, however I was skeptical with the meter showing too low pressure initially.. After filling the air, I immediately went to another pump (this time to a SHELL) to re-check the air pressure and my God they were 46 and 49 back and front and the Shell guy decreased it to 33 and 36 respectively..

And he added saying that lot of people come with excessive air in their tyres and offlate this is a way to cheat people..the cars with excessive tyre pressure will get marginally more milieage and hence you will go back to the same petrol bunk thinking that their fuel is of good quality.. Just was surpised by this way of cheating and guys pls be careful.. while you fill air, if it shows abnormally low air pressure to start with, you may be the next target..
    1 person likes this.