1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

how many cranks does it take to start your engine?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by theblack, Apr 15, 2013.

1. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Mine always started on the first crank. Usually 2 kee's as you would call it. 3 when its cold and hardly ever its been more than that. I always wait for all the check lights to go off before I crank it, can hear the fuel pump initiating, especially so when there is pin drop silence. In my opinion too, 5 - 6 kee's is a on the higher side, especially since you are in Bangalore where its relatively much higher temperatures than in Maharashtra or in the North. Mine is over 2 years old and almost 30k. Recently had the experience of a weak battery which some may have had, airbag failure warning, just killed the engine and cranked again, never seen the warning again.

Regards

Amit
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is interesting then, because I've not seen any obvious signs of battery failure yet.
    May be its getting old.

I'm going to take a look at it this weekend.
    Are there any "How to maintain your battery in good shape" ideas?
  3. Cogweelz

Cogweelz

Bangalored
    Mine is a Linea MJD done 3 years adn 74K on ODO. I bumped into this post unintentionally and it seems this has answered my long time query in mind. Mine too cranks for 2-3 times before firing into life. I have a 10 month old Amaron battery replaced from the stock ones. But yes I am relieved on reading that most of us have 2-3 as an average crank.

Thank you teamfiat, it is such queries of us having answered makes you stand out in the crowd of auto forums.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Sharing info is knowledge and when put to use it's second to none .
    Just wish our politicos do the same
  5. Mine is a 2.5 yr old 60K driven. Earlier it used to take 2-3 caranks to start but after replacing the stock battery(50AH) to Amaron (55AH), it is less than one crank...half a crank to be precise :)

Sandeep.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh that's interesting because my car takes between 3 to 3.5 cranks And i've replaced the battery with a new 55Ah amaron.
    May be '09 models have this time i guess.

Yday i was noticing a mahindra xuv fellow crank his car and it started in probably 1 crank (at max) and i wished my punto did the same as well!!
    Anyway so long as the battery is supplying the right amount of current , it doesn't matter i suppose.