1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

how many cranks does it take to start your engine?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by theblack, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I got it now.. its the khee khee crank sound when you flip the key at MAR, then its 3 at cold start and 2 at running condition., don't know but i like this Khee khee's it gives some sort of complex mechanism starting in a car and think there is no problem to worry about ..:)
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The kee kee sound has kind of become synonymous with crank now.
    I pat my back for inventing that word :)

Anyway do you guys think i should be concerned? I'm as of now not worrying much but since my friend spoke about it , its a bit in my head if you know what i mean!
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As long as your car is driving fine, dont worry about supposed issues mate. Just enjoy it.

As things stand the modern CRDI engines dont start as easily as well engineered older mechanical injection engines with glow plugs. Engines like the old legendary Toyota diesels started with half a crank, forget a complete kee kee kee cycle. Its a different story nowadays.

Cheers.
  4. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    srry mine also takes 3-4 cranks.........
  5. My tjet starts in 3 "kee"s normally. .. But depending on the mood of the engine, have even experienced it go to 5.
    But as said by @gurjinder. .. I would rather enjoy the running of car than engine taking one extra round to start ..
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Let me see if I understand this .. these are the steps involved in starting the engine :

• Insert the key and turn to "MAR" position
    • Wait for all lights to go off and turn the key completely. At the end of this quarter turn the key goes to the unstable position and the engine starts. (This unstable position is also the one where you would hold the key for long when you are trying to crank a dead battery)
    • When you let go from the unstable position the key rotates maybe a 1/8 turn back and is in the stable position with the engine running

Are you guys talking about how long the key is in the unstable position. If so , it is definitely longer in my TJet as compared to our Honda , where it is in that position for maybe a fraction of a second before the engine is running..
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes, the duration the key stays at the unstable position.

Cheers.
  8. A small addition to the above...
    Please correct me if I am wrong @gurjinder
    We (IMO) are talking in unit of rotation and not the unit of time...
    Example -
    Key at unstable position for 1 sec, and engine rotates 5 times (hypothetically speaking) then we are talking of 5 "kees" here!
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My Linea always starts in the very first cranking including sub-zero conditions in the Himalayas. My Linea's battery is 3.5 year old. My Linea's last day out was on 15 April 2013. The previous one was on 7 April 2013. As usual, my Linea started on the very first cranking on these occasions. I think, 5 to 6 cranking is a sign of weak battery. Please get it checked, and if necessary, change the battery.
    In case of my Linea, it takes 2 to 3 times, kee kee sound-wise.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm. Looks like a weak battery then.
    Let me spend some time over the weekend to test the battery and see .

Btw, just the way the normal home inverters battery gets refilled with distilled water , can we do similar thing to car batteries as well?