1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

how many cranks does it take to start your engine?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by theblack, Apr 15, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ok got it now! have not noticed it yet...will do and post here
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    My Punto is 2yrs 5months old and has run ~40,000 kms.

Except when I was facing an issue with a fuse gone kaput, which lead to several cranks before the car would start, I never had to crank more than once so far.

I am not sure, if every one follows this. But, I turn the key to MAR position, wait until all lights come up, after couple of seconds few light symbols switch-off, then just a turn to the ON position and the car would come to life.

Initially I was just turning the key to MAR and immediately to ON, which was noticed by a friend and warned me, that a technician has told him that it was not the proper way to start the car and one has to wait until all the symbol lights come-up and then few switch-off. I do this religiously and also have mentioned this method to few of our TFIans when I observed that they do not follow it.

For those who already follow this may ignore my above statement and for those who are unaware, kindly follow this method.

May be some one facing the more-than-one crank issue can try this and let us know if it works with the first crank.
    2 people like this.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i follow almost what you say.
    I wait at the MAR position until the coil symbol disappears. Only after that i crank the engine.
    I think the remaining warning lights are just lighting up to check the whole system and they dont add much in terms of cranking except the coil light.

Correct me if i'm wrong please
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    You are right, but the symbols don't disappear one after another, but a set of symbols at a time. That is what I was refering to. Atleast it is easy for me to recognise that the car is ready to be cranked. :) May be there is more than just the coil heating up. I believe the fuel pump also comes into action when the key is at the MAR position which is also quite important for cranking.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Cant say its accurate way to count but since day one the engine has started within 2-3 "kee kee kees" :D. Sometimes when the engine is feeling moody 4-5. But very rarely.

A Punto which i get to drive regularly never starts below 4-5 "kee kee keee" .

As an old habit, in the morning i never start until i have cycled the glow plugs twice or thrice. Unnecessary but its an old habit which doesnt go. Once the coil symbol disappears i straightaway crank it, no waiting for other lights to disappear etc.

Cheers.
  6. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mine is starting in 1 crank.......its 13 months old.....
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm. I'm getting mixed opinions so i will let the car tell me when it needs to go to the doctor this time around ;-)
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

In a single go the kee-kee sound comes for,
    Cold start: 3-4 times
    Warmed up: 2-3 times

9 month old Punto;all stock. always starts in first attempt (MAR-IGNI-MAR). Touchwood :)

Does it take lesser time in pre2012 MJDs?
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    just a wild guess, the timing belt might not be faulty right?
    Or how do i diagnose it?
  10. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I havent checked what @ black is saying (if i understand correct) about the Khee Khee sound ;).
    But one crank is what takes to start my Dhanno - its almost an year.

And for the MAR position and waiting for the lights to go off, i follow this all the time as its clearly mentioned in the owners manual to do so :)
    Only after the coil, oil etc lights are gone i start the engine, only the handbrak and seat belt warning lights are on (depending on whether seat belt is already on and handbrake engaged or disengaged).
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013