1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How long the key battery last ?

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by vinit, Dec 7, 2015.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I took the delivery of my Linea this year in early Jan (Its almost a year now). Since last couple of weeks, I am observing that remote functions of the car key (especially locking the car), are not working consistently. Few times I had to use the Multi function car key manually to lock and unlock the doors. I am suspecting that the key battery is getting exhausted. My query is how long the car key battery last normally ? What is the experience of the fellow TFIans in this regard ?
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    My car is approaching 3 years after delivery (3.5 after manufacturing), I have changed the remote key's battery twice.
    My normal use is start once in the morning to go to office and start once again in the evening to leave home.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    My keys lasted only for 3 years after that it is not working.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mine is still working after 6 years :).
    And I use it almost daily.
  5. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    around 3 years
  6. redarrow

redarrow Timido

TCR/CLT
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Me too had the same problem... Check the main battery in car too... In my case he was the culprit
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vinit

Has there been any water ingress lately in the remote key? If not, opening and cleaning the contact of the key battery with a good contact cleaner should help. If still the issue persists, then I guess its time to change the battery. Pretty surprising that the battery is playing tricks in the first year of ownership itself.
  8. antony1405

antony1405 Novizio

Chennai
    I too had the same remote key issue once.. I had to open manually with the key.. When I checked with SA they said it could be the main battery issue.. It's worth checking the battery cells..
  9. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    The car key worked for sometime with the original battery and now again it has started playing some tricks. :banghead: This time the remote key works only if the key is unfolded. If the key blade is folded inside the key, then it doesnt work. I cant think of any logic here. Has anyone faced such an issue ?
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Good to see this thread live, because I am also facing problem with remote key. It started some 2 months ago, when one morning it didn't work and I used the mechanical key. After few days, I tried and it worked. Again after few days, it stopped working. I don't use the car daily.

My car is more than 4 years old and I suspect the remote's battery. Car battery was changed 8 months ago. But I have not yet attempted to open any thing of the car on my own. How to open the remote body? Is it a regular button-cell?