1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How Indian Highways are Numbered (New NH Numbering System) ?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Deepak, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    logic behind numbering is as follows:

1. All North-South highways will carry EVEN number
    2. All East-West highways will have ODD numbers
    3. All major Highways will be single digit or double digit in number (Read the exception in point F)
    4. North-South highways will increase their numbers from East to West. For example, a particular North-South highway in Central India or Western India will have a higher number than the one in East India. To be specific, now you can guess that NH4 is somewhere in East India where as highway 44 may be towards the west of India while both runs north-south due to the even numbering
    5. Similarly East-West highways will increase their numbers as we movefrom North to South. By this logic NH1 will be running East-West somewhere in North India while NH 83 may be somewhere down south. Of course, there may be a minor confusion among some roads that may be running diagonally in stretches
    6. THREE digit numbered highways are secondary routes or branchesof a main highway. For example, 144, 244, 344 etc will be the branches of the main National highway 44. Please note that since NH44 (NS Corridor) runs the length of the country from North to South a side shoot say 144 may be up north while something like 944 may be down south
    7. Suffixes A, B, C, D etc are added to the three digit sub highways to indicate very small spin-offs or stretches of sub-highways. For example,966A, 527B etc
    So next time when you are driving based on the map or navigation device and when you see/hear something like ‘Turn left to Old NH47’ you should remember that the particular highway is being re-numbered.

More Details on : http://ajithprasad.com/how-indian-highways-are-numbered-new-nh-numbering-system/

golden-quadrilateral.jpg
    Turbothinghy and limraj like this.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for sharing.
    I knew the major highway in Kerala has changed for NH47 to NH66. Now I can understand the rationale.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    To my knowledge, NHAI has now reverted back to old numbers. The NH in Kerala is NH47 still.
  4. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My point was that there is no more new numbering system. As per NHAI website and Google maps, all highways are numbered as it was before. No need to get confused anymore. NH47 remains as is. There is no new number.

NHAI has to be blamed for all this confusion by planning the new numbering. For reason which is not disclosed, they seems to have scrapped that plan.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Renumbering all the National Highways across India was supposed to be completed by early 2010. But even now, in 2015, it is far from done.But, the most problematic thing is that the highways are renumbered on new signboards with the new numbers in some stretches, and they still have the old numbers in other signboards of the same highway.
    one such ex: old NH17. NH 66 is the new number for NH 17, and in some stretches it features the older number NH17, in some, the newer number NH66. :banghead::banghead:
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It seems you have not got my point. Let me reiterate.

The highway from Salem to Ulundurpet was NH-68 and when the renumbering started, it was changed to NH-79. And I saw the renumbered sign board all over the highway back in late 2011 itself. Now, all these sign boards (with NH-79) has been removed and the boards with the old number NH-68 is back.

Dont't get confused anymore. I don't think NHAI is still doing the renumbering exercise. I believe it has been scrapped.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3

Attached Files:

ramjn and Deepak like this.